Gifted sentimental superfake?

mama_nacho

May 21, 2020
I was gifted a Chanel square mini years ago by a dear family member, and said family member passed away recently. However, the bag is almost certainly a rather good fake.

I’m now not sure what to do with it. I don’t really want to trash it since it has a lot of sentimental value, and I’m certainly not going to donate/sell it and contribute to the circulating superfake bag population. It serves as the “small fancy bag” in my collection right now, and I’m not sure I want to get another one and end up accumulating more bags (personal rule that if I buy a bag then another must go to maintain a set number of bags).

Thoughts on what to do? Is it okay to still use? I feel a little self-conscious with it now that I know it’s fake, but at the same time I don’t have another that can substitute for it well :-s

I was gifted a Chanel square mini years ago by a dear family member, and said family member passed away recently. However, the bag is almost certainly a rather good fake.

I’m now not sure what to do with it. I don’t really want to trash it since it has a lot of sentimental value, and I’m certainly not going to donate/sell it and contribute to the circulating superfake bag population. It serves as the “small fancy bag” in my collection right now, and I’m not sure I want to get another one and end up accumulating more bags (personal rule that if I buy a bag then another must go to maintain a set number of bags).

Thoughts on what to do? Is it okay to still use? I feel a little self-conscious with it now that I know it’s fake, but at the same time I don’t have another that can substitute for it well :-s

Not a fan of fakes, but this is a sentimental gift. I’d keep it and use it. Wear it in the spirit of love.

“Almost certainly” a fake. Have you run it by the authenticators on the Chanel thread to be sure?

My beloved grandmother gifted me a fake murakami pochette that she got on her fiest and only tourist trip to Europe. As one of 30 grandchildren I treasure the thought and love behind the gesture. I would use it in honor of your departed loved one.
My grandmother was a character but we were each other's favorite. She left me a fur stole among other things:whut: I've never worn it but keep it for petting?!

Keep it and use it! It doesn't matter if it's fake- you aren't trying to sell it, and you didn't purchase it to pass off as real. It was a gift from someone you love. I know there is a lot of judgment on this forum about fakes but don't let that deter you from enjoying your bag.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I have a bunch that my uncle bought - with good intentions, he knew I liked designers but the genuine bags were all out of his price range. I just have them stashed in the back of my closet, I take them out occasionally when I know I'll see him. Honestly, as long as you didn't buy it knowing it was a fake, don't try to sell it or otherwise pass it off as a genuine item to other people....it's your bag, do whatever else you want with it, that includes carrying it.

Reactions: LPR200