Help Me Choose: Vintage Alhambra Malachite Earrings or YG Large Frivole Earrings?

Jul 26, 2013
I would like to add another pair of earrings to my small VCA collection, and I can’t decide which pair to get first (I may eventually get both). I can only get one pair.

Choice #1: Vintage Alhambra Malachite earrings (4K)

Green is my favorite color and I wear plenty of green to make them wearable. I have the VA onyx earrings (and a MOP 5-motif bracelet and pendant) so I already know the style works for me. I’m also aware that they are very delicate and would require more care.

Choice #2: YG Large Frivole Earrings (6k)

I absolutely adore these (only in large though), but the main issue with these is the price. I think 6k is quite a lot for what they are. I know I’d wear them a lot, but are they really worth that much? If I get the malachite earrings I still have 2k left to save or spend. (Side note: I tried on the mini and small sizes and don’t like them, unfortunately.)

What is your vote and why? I’d like to visit the boutique in a couple of weeks so I want to make up my mind soon. Much thanks.

Reactions: hhw
I also prefer the Frivole. I also have hesitation over the price of the large. I need to try both sizes on, though. As far as VA earrings go, I love them, but I don't want 5 pair exactly alike. That's why I'd like to mix in Frivole, Perlee Colors, and Magic. Perlee Colors also has yg with malachite, too. I think it's good to try to look at the big picture and think of a realistic wishlist, and then maybe you can decide which Alhambra earrings you want and then fill in with other things like Frivole and Perlee that work well with Alhambra.

Another vote for Frivole large earrings. It is more carefree and versatile than malachite.
Also if you don’t consider the price, which one do you want more?

Thank you for your opinion! I love both and maybe Frivole slightly more, but I’m not sure I love it 2k more. It’s a lot for what they are. That’s the main reason for my hesitation.

I also prefer the Frivole. I also have hesitation over the price of the large. I need to try both sizes on, though. As far as VA earrings go, I love them, but I don't want 5 pair exactly alike. That's why I'd like to mix in Frivole, Perlee Colors, and Magic. Perlee Colors also has yg with malachite, too. I think it's good to try to look at the big picture and think of a realistic wishlist, and then maybe you can decide which Alhambra earrings you want and then fill in with other things like Frivole and Perlee that work well with Alhambra.

Thank you! I’m thinking the same thing. I also have the Perlee ring and some Cartier pieces (Love cuff and pendant, JuC) so I tend to wear only one or two Vintage Alhambra pieces at a time. If I get the malachite earrings I probably won’t get another pair of VA earrings. Hmmm...

Reactions: DS2006
I would get frivoles too to add some versatility to your pieces. Malachite is my fav stone but you already have some Alhambra so good to try another style. You won’t worry about price after you buy them and wear them a bunch (I have the pave small ones).

Thank you! Which malachite pieces do you have? Do you prefer your Frivoles over the malachite pieces? Any regrets about the malachite fading over time?

As far as worth, none of these are worth the price if you’re looking at materials. It’s the workmanship and quality that adds the value if you agree. If you don’t and you will think “this isn’t worth it” every time you look at the frivoles then eliminate those. If you are ok with that, then It’s a matter of what you love more, will wear more and want more at the moment.

My vote goes for the Frivole as they're easier maintenance - I'd hate to have to worry about perfume, hair spray etc. The metal colour would mean it's easier to style as well.

They're quite different choices though so I'd advocate trying them on first to see how it all looks. You mentioned you didn't like the mini/small Frivoles - did you try on large too or will this be when you visit boutique?

Thank you! Which malachite pieces do you have? Do you prefer your Frivoles over the malachite pieces? Any regrets about the malachite fading over time?
I only have the malachite 5 motif bracelet. I find it difficult to wear now since I moved to a tropical climate and it is either raining or I am sweating. So I am holding off buying any more pieces until I move back home (and north!). Mine bracelet still looks new but I am very careful with it.
I think earrings would be fine in a none tropical climate. Also, you can always replace the stones for a minimal cost. I am likely going to get earrings and a magic single pendant in the future since malachite is gorgeous. I would still recommend getting the frivoles first to try another line and add some variety to your pieces. But the malachite will go well too - easy to go from casual to black dresses with them.