Old version of veneta bag worth it now?

Gkd1980

Feb 17, 2016
Hi! I’ve been interested in purchasing a BV bag for some time now and am finally really to pull the trigger! I have a pair of black BV riding boots with the intrecciato woven leather. I want to get a black bag to match, but I much prefer the older style bags with the smaller weave versus the new ones. I’d like opinions on if it’s worth spending the money on the older version now? (Paying full retail price, buying new) For reference I’m thinking of the large Veneta hobo bag or the tote. Thank you!

It sounds like you are stuck between investing in your own personal style and going by fashion's usual rules which often means keeping up.

If you prefer the Veneta bag, it's the right size/colour, and it's perfect with the boots you want to wear it with than IMO yes. The Veneta didn't suit me the way the Belly or the intrecciato 'ball', and the Jodie would actually be better for me.

You could take a little more time checking out preloved site (and the Auction Listings forum) but there will be others snapping old inventory because they prefer past models too. I think there will be a resurgence in collecting TM-era BV at some point because his aesthetic was strong and quite defined but that's all speculation, I wouldn't let that influence you.

I always wanted a leather/exotic Stretch Knot, if I saw one in the right colour and could afford :yes: I would buy it.

Can you still get a new one? If it’s returnable then go for it, I‘d also suggest perhaps picking one up from a reseller that has a great return policy, the older black Venetas are very elegant bags you may get your hands on it and never let it go. Personally I think some the larger weave is going to pucker and wrinkle with age.

Hi! I’ve been interested in purchasing a BV bag for some time now and am finally really to pull the trigger! I have a pair of black BV riding boots with the intrecciato woven leather. I want to get a black bag to match, but I much prefer the older style bags with the smaller weave versus the new ones. I’d like opinions on if it’s worth spending the money on the older version now? (Paying full retail price, buying new) For reference I’m thinking of the large Veneta hobo bag or the tote. Thank you!
There is no "worth spending the money" on any handbag, especially Bottega Veneta, which has HORRIBLE resale value. It's only a psychological worth, and if you want that pre-Daniel Lee full intrecciato large Veneta in Nero, then go for it for that reason, not a monetary one.

I highly recommend checking out the resale market for this. Fashionphile and Yoogis Closet are two dependable resellers.

I’d go with the older version over the new any time. The smaller intrecciato is superior IMHO.

There is no "worth spending the money" on any handbag, especially Bottega Veneta, which has HORRIBLE resale value. It's only a psychological worth, and if you want that pre-Daniel Lee full intrecciato large Veneta in Nero, then go for it for that reason, not a monetary one.

I highly recommend checking out the resale market for this. Fashionphile and Yoogis Closet are two dependable resellers.
I totally agree with your first sentence.

Some stores still have the Veneta hobo available. This is the version with the redesigned strap and softer edges. (Do a search on new veneta or redesigned veneta to learn more).

Should you buy new? There are plenty of black veneta hobos on the resale market and if you’re patient you should be able to find one in excellent condition and pay around 40-50 percent of retail. The availability for of the redesigned veneta hobo is less. Black will go quickly so you’d need to be vigilant about checking sites.

Would I do it? I have actually. I’ve bought two used excellent condition large veneta hobos in discontinued colors. It’s the only way I could get what I was looking for. Were they smoking deals? Compared to full retail yes, but compared to BV’s general resale no. I paid more than I could have.

That said, for the right bag, even if I could get it used, I’d buy new and pay full retail. I’ve done that too.

If you’re not a fan of rehomed bags and you really want a black veneta hobo, I’d act fast and pay full retail. But if there’s even a pause for either reason, I’d go the rehomed route.

Edited to add: Is it worth it to pay full retail if used is available? From a purely financial perspective, no. From an emotional, that’s very personal. That depends how you feel.

I’ll also add this: those dreamy photos of soft BV bags means they’ve been worn. Most BVs look a little awkward when they’re brand new. A few months of wear is when the bag comes into its own and becomes swoon-worthy. So with a gently used bag, someone else has done the work for you.

Last edited:
IMO, the older style Venetas are classic and timeless. i much prefer the smaller weave like many posters above. I keep looking hard at the mini Jodie, but the larger weave just does not resonate with me. And on the larger bags, even less. So if you like the smaller weave, get it...its so classic!

if you hunt the market diligently, you can find great bags. I picked up a large Ebano recently, with the older style handle, that Looks almost new. The large Nero i purchased is on its way back to FP. Be careful if you look at it once its relisted. They did not disclose some damage in the original listing, hopefully they will once they relist it. They were very nice when i contacted them and sent Pix, so i do think they just missed the damage. As @indiaink said, Yoogis, Fashionphile, and Anns Fabulous Finds are great sources with flexible return policies. So i went on ebay and found a beautiful large Nero that is new never used, and for half the retail price. Keep looking, and you will find beautiful bags out there....and if its a bag you will use and love, it will be so worth it....whether you find a new one or a preloved one

Last edited: