Coco Handle or Pochette Métis?

Apr 22, 2018
Chanel coco handle in beige colour in the caviar leather or...

Pochette Métis in turtledove colour in the empreinte leather?

I know there’s a significant price difference between the two. If price is not a deciding factor, which one would you choose?

Would love to hear your pros, cons, and perspectives. I am looking for a bag that I can wear crossbody and enough for my essentials (e.g. keys, card holder, keys etc.). The coco handle’s handle looks pretty stiff. I am a working mom with a toddler. And I am on the petite side, so I think either of these bags would work on me wearing it crossbody.

I don’t want to spend significant amount of money on a bag, and end up not using it much. Thank you :smile:.

ive had both before in my collection, and i would say i much prefer the look and functionality of the coco handle. the PM has got too many horizontal partitions (2 inside if im not mistaken) and CH has 1 partition. depending on how you see it, partitions could be great for organizing things but can also be restraining as well, and that is my problem with the PM. it got too fussy and annoying for my liking.

i think the distinct diff between the two is that the CH is more formal than the PM - so ask yourself which fits your style a little more?

I own both and love both. Asides from both being flap bags with top handles, long straps, they're really quite different to me in looks. I'm 5'4", which I guess is on the petite side too, but the Pochette Metis is MUCH more of a crossbody bag. The Coco Handle is heavier, especially if you're not getting the smallest size.

If I had a toddler, I'd lean more towards getting the Pochette Metis bc imo the bag is just overall more comfortable to use as a crossbody. The handle on the Coco is definitely stiff, as you say, and that's why I wouldn't really wear it crossbody as well. It's not really meant to be a crossbody bag in the first place-- it's a shoulder bag. If you're looking for a primarily crossbody bag, I'd go for the Pochette Metis.

I agree with the above poster about the Coco being more formal, but I feel the Pochette Metis could be easily dressed up and down as well. Both bags match my formal AND informal outfits pretty easily, so I would recommend both in this aspect. I disagree about the partitions, because I love how the Pochette Metis has the partitions; it holds my small leather goods easily and I can sort my items very well, so it really is a personal preference type of thing (not sure what you prefer).

Overall these are both amazing bags, so I own both and have no plans of selling either anytime soon, haha!

I would personally go for the Coco Handle, but then I've always really liked the look of it. It's a proper handbag IYKWIM. The PM is a cute bag too, and the colour sounds lovely but more casual.

If you're split 50/50 then I'd recommend going with the one that you think will be the most practical.

ive had both before in my collection, and i would say i much prefer the look and functionality of the coco handle. the PM has got too many horizontal partitions (2 inside if im not mistaken) and CH has 1 partition. depending on how you see it, partitions could be great for organizing things but can also be restraining as well, and that is my problem with the PM. it got too fussy and annoying for my liking.

i think the distinct diff between the two is that the CH is more formal than the PM - so ask yourself which fits your style a little more?

I'd like to have something that I can dress up and dress down as well. I am trying to streamline my collection. The coco handle just looks sooo cute and pretty! I am considering the small coco handle. I was also thinking, if I don't buy it now, maybe they'll increase the price again :yucky:?

Which one did you use more often when you had both in your collection?

I guess not so much style to consider now, since we have been working from home. Lol. I have been in my pjs almost everyday.

I own both and love both. Asides from both being flap bags with top handles, long straps, they're really quite different to me in looks. I'm 5'4", which I guess is on the petite side too, but the Pochette Metis is MUCH more of a crossbody bag. The Coco Handle is heavier, especially if you're not getting the smallest size.

If I had a toddler, I'd lean more towards getting the Pochette Metis bc imo the bag is just overall more comfortable to use as a crossbody. The handle on the Coco is definitely stiff, as you say, and that's why I wouldn't really wear it crossbody as well. It's not really meant to be a crossbody bag in the first place-- it's a shoulder bag. If you're looking for a primarily crossbody bag, I'd go for the Pochette Metis.

I agree with the above poster about the Coco being more formal, but I feel the Pochette Metis could be easily dressed up and down as well. Both bags match my formal AND informal outfits pretty easily, so I would recommend both in this aspect. I disagree about the partitions, because I love how the Pochette Metis has the partitions; it holds my small leather goods easily and I can sort my items very well, so it really is a personal preference type of thing (not sure what you prefer).

Overall these are both amazing bags, so I own both and have no plans of selling either anytime soon, haha!

I am considering the small coco handle. I am 5' :biggrin:. The coco handle is so pretty and feminine. Definitely gives off a different feeling comparing to the Pochette Metis. Both are nice bags. I can't have both nor do I need both. Lol.

I want something that can be dressed up and dressed down as well. I actually like having compartments in my bags. It makes organizing stuff easier.

Since you have both bags, which one do you reach for more often?

I am debating that maybe I should get the coco handle before the price increases again?

Which bag holds more? Coco handle or the Pochette Metis?

Last edited:
I would personally go for the Coco Handle, but then I've always really liked the look of it. It's a proper handbag IYKWIM. The PM is a cute bag too, and the colour sounds lovely but more casual.

If you're split 50/50 then I'd recommend going with the one that you think will be the most practical.

From a practicality perspective, it is probably the Pochette Metis? Which one is more high maintenance? I don't baby my bags. Bags are meant to be used. Lol.

I am considering the small coco handle. I am 5' :biggrin:. The coco handle is so pretty and feminine. Definitely gives off a different feeling comparing to the Pochette Metis. Both are nice bags. I can't have both nor do I need both. Lol.

I want something that can be dressed up and dressed down as well. I actually like having compartments in my bags. It makes organizing stuff easier.

Since you have both bags, which one do you reach for more?

I am debating that maybe I should get the coco handle before the price increases again?

Which bag holds more? Coco handle or the Pochette Metis?
I am a Chanel girl through and through and my Coco is red (I'm a red handbag addict, it's my unicorn, plus the PM is my only Louis Vuitton bag), so there is NO competition which one I reach for lol. I am extremely biased in that way.

When you say you're considering the small coco handle, do you mean the smallest size? They changed the names around in the States and the smallest size used to be called the mini, now they're calling it the small. I have the smallest size Coco handle and it's definitely smaller than the PM and doesn't fit as much for sure (honestly, the PM is more practical for an everyday bag). The next size up in the Coco is significantly heavier imo, I used to own it but I sold it.

If we're comparing the smallest size Coco with the PM, I'd say I'm able to get in at least an extra SLG with the PM, with more room to spare.

From a practicality perspective, it is probably the Pochette Metis? Which one is more high maintenance? I don't baby my bags. Bags are meant to be used. Lol.

Well, you're going for colours that are not foolproof but Caviar and Empreinte are fairly repellant and both shapes will age fairly (equally) gracefully IMO.

I am a Chanel girl through and through and my Coco is red (I'm a red handbag addict, it's my unicorn, plus the PM is my only Louis Vuitton bag), so there is NO competition which one I reach for lol. I am extremely biased in that way.

When you say you're considering the small coco handle, do you mean the smallest size? They changed the names around in the States and the smallest size used to be called the mini, now they're calling it the small. I have the smallest size Coco handle and it's definitely smaller than the PM and doesn't fit as much for sure (honestly, the PM is more practical for an everyday bag). The next size up in the Coco is significantly heavier imo, I used to own it but I sold it.

If we're comparing the smallest size Coco with the PM, I'd say I'm able to get in at least an extra SLG with the PM, with more room to spare.

Yes, I was referring to the smallest size of coco handle. I can definitely see how the Pochette Metis is more practical. It holds a lot more. But, a part of me feels the coco handle is soooo cute. Lol. So torn! I'll go in-person to see and try them on.

Definitely not going a size up for the coco handle, aside from the increase in price, the weight is a big factor for me. If a bag is too heavy, then I don't reach for it. Did you sell your coco handle in medium due to its weight?

Well, you're going for colours that are not foolproof but Caviar and Empreinte are fairly repellant and both shapes will age fairly (equally) gracefully IMO.

Agreed that the beige-like colours aren't the easiest to take care of, but I already have quite a few brown and black bags :smile:. I recently had colour transfer from my blue jeans to my cream colour Senreve mini Maestra bag. Glad that I got rid of the blue colour by wiping it with leather conditioner.

Reactions: papertiger
Yes, I was referring to the smallest size of coco handle. I can definitely see how the Pochette Metis is more practical. It holds a lot more. But, a part of me feels the coco handle is soooo cute. Lol. So torn! I'll go in-person to see and try them on.

Definitely not going a size up for the coco handle, aside from the increase in price, the weight is a big factor for me. If a bag is too heavy, then I don't reach for it. Did you sell your coco handle in medium due to its weight?
I would definitely try on in person, but I do feel that it's very hard to compare the smallest size Coco with the PM because they're quite different bags in style imo!! But they're both extremely useful bags to me so I don't think you could make the wrong choice :doh:

I sold my bigger Coco due to weight and partly due to style-- I'm in my early 20s and somehow the bigger size made me look like I aged 10 years, haha! Perhaps it'll look better on more mature ladies but it just didn't fit me for some reason. It's definitely slightly on the heavy side imo, I'm sensitive to weight so I carry quite a lot of mini bags. So in comparison, I definitely find the PM quite reasonable in weight for its size; it's not a heavy bag! (Think you should get both hehe, honestly they're both really useful to me)

When I carried by bigger Coco, especially on the crook of my arm, my mom told me I looked like I married young into a wealthy family and am trying to bear the weight of the fortune on my young shoulders after my husband passed away. :rolleyes: Eek!

I have both and love both. I switch handbags quite often, but often feel compelled to keep using my PM. I have it in both canvas and empriente, but reach for the empriente more since monogram makes me uncomfortable. I also have the CH in mini and small, but reach for my mini more. I would choose the CH because I both dress it up and down and it just speaks to me way more. I love top handle bags so much.

I'd like to have something that I can dress up and dress down as well. I am trying to streamline my collection. The coco handle just looks sooo cute and pretty! I am considering the small coco handle. I was also thinking, if I don't buy it now, maybe they'll increase the price again :yucky:?

Which one did you use more often when you had both in your collection?

I guess not so much style to consider now, since we have been working from home. Lol. I have been in my pjs almost everyday.

i reached for my CH more than the PM. i sold the PM very quickly after a 2 week overseas trip as the compartments drove me nuts. in terms of space, PM definitely fits better than a mini/small CH. that being said if you pack light, the CH could just work for you. in terms of overall versatility, my vote goes to the CH.

ps: we have a chanel fan here, whereas i am actually brand loyal to lv. hahaha