Home & Garden Manual typewriters?

C

Clearblueskies

Anyone use a manual typewriter?? I’m thinking of buying one, probably 50’s, 60’s or 70’s vintage. I’m wondering if I’m just getting caught up on the look of them (which I like very much) and whether it’s a practical proposition in reality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting! Something new to me. Do you know that Tom Hanks is a collector of vintage typewriters? Send him a tweet, he seems to be really nice, who knows, he might respond and give you tips on your search for a particular typewriter! Good luck! Pls update.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
Interesting! Something new to me. Do you know that Tom Hanks is a collector of vintage typewriters? Send him a tweet, he seems to be really nice, who knows, he might respond and give you tips on your search for a particular typewriter! Good luck! Pls update.
:biggrin: There‘s an idea! He always comes across as a very genuine guy.

I was just gonna reply the same, that I knew that Tom Hanks collects them and puts them on display at various museums. There is a lot of YouTube videos about his collection and he would likely offer tips on what to look for. Sounds like a fun interest!

Reactions: zinacef
I was just gonna reply the same, that I knew that Tom Hanks collects them and puts them on display at various museums. There is a lot of YouTube videos about his collection and he would likely offer tips on what to look for. Sounds like a fun interest!
I’ve had a look at some of those videos. Tom has been collecting since he was 19! In fact there’s loads of info out there on the net, I had no idea it was such a lively area of interest. So much info I felt a bit swamped for choice tbh. There are several online sellers here in the UK too. I’ve ordered one from a seller in Germany. So we‘ll see :biggrin:

I bought this one from 1967 :smile: It’s all sleek and shiny with it’s cream enamel and chrome, and I love the green accents. It types perfectly which is amazing considering it’s age. I absolutely love it. I can really see how this could become addictive!

View attachment 4790090

View attachment 4790091
Looks great! Actually 2 years older than me! You better have a typewriter/ hobby room, when I was 14 my dad actually sent me to a typing school. Still remember that click-clack typing noise.

Looks great! Actually 2 years older than me! You better have a typewriter/ hobby room, when I was 14 my dad actually sent me to a typing school. Still remember that click-clack typing noise.
You‘ll type a lot better than me then! I love the little bell at the end of the rows, it gives a sense of accomplishment every few minutes :lol:

You‘ll type a lot better than me then! I love the little bell at the end of the rows, it gives a sense of accomplishment every few minutes :lol:
This thread brings so much typing school memories. We actually have a test weekly, you have to type so much per minute and they’ll grade you for accuracy. When I first started typing, my strokes were brutal and tore my cuticle bad—- that bad. I never did great at it, it’s just one of those things my parent wants us to do every summer. We did dressmaking school, too. About 20 some years ago, we had an elderly neighbor, Ms. Hazel, she’s on her 80’s, and she has really bad hand tremors and shake. She always use a her typewriter to leave notes for us —— like how’s our day, Or for Christmas cards. Fond memories of her and her notes. Sweet little lady and her typewriter that is perched in a table in the middle of her living room. Have fun!

This thread brings so much typing school memories. We actually have a test weekly, you have to type so much per minute and they’ll grade you for accuracy. When I first started typing, my strokes were brutal and tore my cuticle bad—- that bad. I never did great at it, it’s just one of those things my parent wants us to do every summer. We did dressmaking school, too. About 20 some years ago, we had an elderly neighbor, Ms. Hazel, she’s on her 80’s, and she has really bad hand tremors and shake. She always use a her typewriter to leave notes for us —— like how’s our day, Or for Christmas cards. Fond memories of her and her notes. Sweet little lady and her typewriter that is perched in a table in the middle of her living room. Have fun!
I’m glad it’s bringing back nice memories for you, that’s a lovely story about your neighbour :flowers:
We did dressmaking at school too - it was grim. I remember taking about 6 months to make a simple skirt - that poor thing was unpicked and re- stitched so many times it was unwearable :lol:

Reactions: zinacef
And this is the one I ordered from Germany. It got here so fast! Of the two I’ve bought this is definitely the favourite. The keystroke is light and the keys spring back under your fingers, so it’s absolutely dreamy to type with. 2E357D8E-6115-424A-B7E9-E30A5FBDAC4B.jpegAnd I think the pea green colour scheme is insane!
It’s got a french keyboard and from the serial number was made in 1966 in Switzerland. A metal lid clips on for carrying it and I think that’s where the paint chip at the front came from, other than it’s perfect.
(BTW this Hermes is a Swiss brand - not the same as the bags:biggrin:)

And this is the one I ordered from Germany. It got here so fast! Of the two I’ve bought this is definitely the favourite. The keystroke is light and the keys spring back under your fingers, so it’s absolutely dreamy to type with. View attachment 4790918And I think the pea green colour scheme is insane!
It’s got a french keyboard and from the serial number was made in 1966 in Switzerland. A metal lid clips on for carrying it and I think that’s where the paint chip at the front came from, other than it’s perfect.
(BTW this Hermes is a Swiss brand - not the same as the bags:biggrin:)

That looks so cool!

Reactions: Clearblueskies