Buyer has no Paypal account

Sep 11, 2006
I bid on an auction yesterday and was immediately offered a second chance by the seller as I was the under-bidder.

I had messaged the seller a couple of questions whilst the auction was running so they knew I was interested.

The high bidder has a feedback score of 182 and the reason for the second chance offer given was that the buyer didn't have a paypal account. Now I'm not sure how you can get a feedback score of 182 without a PP account and I am wondering if I have been shilled? Now that eBay has taken all the links away to see what bidders have been buying, I am not sure there is a way to tell anymore. Does anyone have any ideas?

The winning bidder bid 3 times, all on the same day which happened to be the day that I messaged the seller. Without these three bids then I would have won the item for 50 GBP cheaper (or is that a too simplistic a way of looking at it?)

Can you post a link to the listing? (Shilling can still be seen. You just don't know the specific buyer ID.)

And the reason the seller gave is nonsense. One doesn't need a PP account to use PP as long as they use a c.c.

Reactions: MAGJES
Can you post a link to the listing? (Shilling can still be seen. You just don't know the specific buyer ID.)

And the reason the seller gave is nonsense. One doesn't need a PP account to use PP as long as they use a c.c.

That's what makes me suspicious (about not having a PP account).

When I asked a question, she invited me to make an offer if I was interested. I said I was happy to take my chances with the auction listing. Then, almost instantly after I replied, another bid was placed on the auction. That person remained the high bidder until the end and then communicates with the seller that they don't have a PP account within moments of the auction ending.

I sent a very polite message asking how on earth someone with that feedback score didn't have a PP account and the seller responded with that she didn't know, that's what the winning bidder said and that she had bigger things to worry about at the moment than why the buyer didn't have a PP account. And that just brought the cynic in me out!

Yes, you do have to have a PayPal account to buy on eBay with a credit card. I don't have a PayPal account and can't buy on eBay, even using a credit card rather than PayPal. PayPal does the credit card processing and says it's an invalid card if you don't have a PayPal account. It's why I will never buy anything from eBay. It didn't use to be that way. I'm not happy it changed.

That's what makes me suspicious (about not having a PP account).

When I asked a question, she invited me to make an offer if I was interested. I said I was happy to take my chances with the auction listing. Then, almost instantly after I replied, another bid was placed on the auction. That person remained the high bidder until the end and then communicates with the seller that they don't have a PP account within moments of the auction ending.

I sent a very polite message asking how on earth someone with that feedback score didn't have a PP account and the seller responded with that she didn't know, that's what the winning bidder said and that she had bigger things to worry about at the moment than why the buyer didn't have a PP account. And that just brought the cynic in me out!
Apparently for "privacy reasons," bidding history isn't transparent in certain countries. It appears that UK is one of those countries so although we can see the bidding history, their anonymized IDs aren't clickable so we can't see the percentage of bids the bidders are placed on this seller's items.

Here's the bidding history:

But on the .com site, I can click on the ID and see the history:

Based on what I see (IN THIS LISTING), there would be no evidence of shill bidding........

HOWEVER, I looked at the seller's completed items and lo and behold, the same bidder also bid on the seller's mulberry medium lily. The anonymized letters are different but it's the same bidder:

Item you bid on: 1***b(182feedback score: 182)
Previous listing: r***4(182feedback score: 182)

And if you look at the feedback, you'll see that a 182-feedback buyer left 2 feedbacks in the past, both years ago.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.34.43 PM.png

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea whether the wallet is authentic or not and I'm not even seeing a date code.

But the same item has been relisted, this time as a fixed price listing.

Yes, you do have to have a PayPal account to buy on eBay with a credit card. I don't have a PayPal account and can't buy on eBay, even using a credit card rather than PayPal. PayPal does the credit card processing and says it's an invalid card if you don't have a PayPal account. It's why I will never buy anything from eBay. It didn't use to be that way. I'm not happy it changed.
You don't have to have a Paypal account to use a credit card to pay for purchases. The seller MUST have an account to accept the payment but the buyer doesn't need an account.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.41.26 PM.png

You don't have to have a Paypal account to use a credit card to pay for purchases. The seller MUST have an account to accept the payment but the buyer doesn't need an account.

View attachment 4786451

Not my experience. I can't buy on eBay with a credit card, since I don't have a PayPal account. It gives an error message about invalid card. Happened with both a Visa and a MasterCard. When I call customer service they say get a PayPal account and the credit card will go through. Are you calling me a liar?

Not my experience. I can't buy on eBay with a credit card, since I don't have a PayPal account. It gives an error message about invalid card. When I call customer service they say get a PayPal account and the credit card will go through. Are you calling me a liar?
Here's another link explaining that buyers don't have to have an account:
Buyers Can Checkout Without a PayPal Account

False info like this that they post is one of the reasons I closed my PayPal account and won't get another one. They say it works, but it doesn't. When you call for help, they say just get a PayPal account.

I have paid my eBay purchase using my credit card without going through PayPal at all. I believe this was made possible when PP separated from Ebay. Although I think that was also because the seller was set up to accept credit cards directly. No PP required.

Seriously? I was correcting inaccurate information. (I'm not into name-calling!)

My posts here are intended to help the OP but if there's misinformation, I will also comment on that.
Not my experience. I can't buy on eBay with a credit card, since I don't have a PayPal account. It gives an error message about invalid card. Happened with both a Visa and a MasterCard. When I call customer service they say get a PayPal account and the credit card will go through. Are you calling me a liar?
@JenJBS
This type of response is out of line. The ebay forum is designed to inform and help therefore it is important that inaccurate info be corrected.

Although I have had a PP account for decades my DH does not and shops on ebay with a credit card (a least twice a month).

Last edited:
Reactions: caannie and Sferics
HOWEVER, I looked at the seller's completed items and lo and behold, the same bidder also bid on the seller's mulberry medium lily. The anonymized letters are different but it's the same bidder:

Item you bid on: 1***b(182feedback score: 182)
Previous listing: r***4(182feedback score: 182)

And if you look at the feedback, you'll see that a 182-feedback buyer left 2 feedbacks in the past, both years ago.

View attachment 4786443

So the buyer is able to make payments for their items and the seller wasn't being entirely honest then. It was as I figured. I suspect it was shill bidding even though it's hard to tell - just too many coincidences for my liking. Thank you for your time.

I didn't accept the second chance offer and won't be buying at the much higher BIN price. The item was originally posted for sale in the FB sale groups as well as eBay.

@JenJBS
This type of response is out of line. The ebay forum is designed to inform and help therefore it is important that inaccurate info be corrected.

Although I have had a PP account for decades my DH does not and shops on ebay with a credit card (a least twice a month).

I was trying to correct inaccurate information, based on my experience. Funny how when you share your experience it's correcting inaccurate information, but when I share my experience it's out of line...

I was trying to correct inaccurate information, based on my experience. Funny how when you share your experience it's correcting inaccurate information, but when I share my experience it's out of line...
Yes you posted your experience which is welcome but asking if someone is calling you a liar is aggressive and that is what is out of line.

Reactions: Sferics and caannie