40th birthday gift to myself

paruparo

Live.Laugh.Love.
O.G.
Nov 16, 2009
Hi all! So I had a trip planned for my 40th this year, but with with so much uncertainty surrounding Covid19, it is not happening. So instead, I want to treat myself to a new watch.
I’ve narrowed it down to Cartier Tank or Panthere or a Rolex. My daily watch is a 2-tone AP, so I’m leaning towards all SS for this new watch. The lady who assisted me with the Cartier watches actually said (in her honest opinion) that I am “stepping down” from my AP...which I don’t agree with. I am a watch lover and love them all lol!
But I would love to hear your thoughts on these options. And also any feedback from those who own any of these. Thank you!
DCC22BF0-6C62-4EC0-8881-41AB2C9A3D80.jpeg089D7640-29FF-406C-B7FA-4B03FA0C1645.jpeg8FD58F8A-EE8A-4E32-813E-6BAAF4FE7021.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fendifemale and hhw
They’re all very different styles. Of all the ones you posted, I like the gold panthere best!
I have a Rolex and LOVE it, but I’ll be honest I don’t love the ones you posted. I think they look a bit masculine for my taste, where some of those Cartier options are more feminine.
For a daily watch, I’d narrow it down by asking yourself which one will be the most versatile. They are ALL everyday options, in my opinion, but which goes best with your clothing and style?
Also consider the differences in each- the weight, the shape and color of the face, the color of the band, diamonds vs not... all those watches you selected seem to have their own personality. Which one speaks to you?

They’re all very different styles. Of all the ones you posted, I like the gold panthere best!
I have a Rolex and LOVE it, but I’ll be honest I don’t love the ones you posted. I think they look a bit masculine for my taste, where some of those Cartier options are more feminine.
For a daily watch, I’d narrow it down by asking yourself which one will be the most versatile. They are ALL everyday options, in my opinion, but which goes best with your clothing and style?
Also consider the differences in each- the weight, the shape and color of the face, the color of the band, diamonds vs not... all those watches you selected seem to have their own personality. Which one speaks to you?

Honestly, i truly love all of them. Haha, if i had unlimited funds, i‘d probably have a watch for every day of the year. I work in a formal business environment, but i am also always running around with my young kids. So a watch that will take me from office to the playground.

I love the fluid bracelet of the Panthere, but the solid feeling of the Tank’s bracelet. WHich was what led me to look at Rolexes lol. Do you mind me asking what Rolex you have, and what you love about it? I am definitely looking for a daily watch, something i will alternate with my AP.

@paruparo I also think AP is more luxurious than Cartier, in terms of watches. I love your AP!
However, if you want me to choose from those options, I like Cartier with diamonds :heart:

Thank you! I do love it too :smile: the Cartier with diamonds is def beautiful!

Rolex on these photos is very meh. If it’s not an upgrade you’re after, then I’ll say the first Cartier or the one with diamonds.

Not an upgrade per se. Just want a watch to alternate with my current one. I tend to be pretty loyal to my watches and wear them for years at a time before changing to something else lol. But I want to “commemorate” my 40th with a watch. Thank you for the feedback, especially about the Rolex!

Reactions: missie1
I’m a Rolex owner (36mm Datejust and love it), but those Cartier options you posted are beautiful! I bought my Rolex for my 26th birthday, which was 10 years ago, and I picked it because I wanted something classic, but I didn’t want flashy either, so I ended up with SS, Oyster band, and a Rhodium Roman dial.

I’m a SAHM now, and I love that I can still wear it with my more casual wardrobe, but I know it is a more masculine watch and wouldn’t fit everyone’s aesthetic.

Based on some of your comments, it looks like a Rolex or the SS Tank might be a good fit!

Reactions: paruparo
I would go Rolex but not the ones pictured. Perhaps something with diamond markers. I only say that because I’ve always felt the Cartier dials looked a little cheap. Have you considered the Patek 24 as an alternative?

I would go Rolex but not the ones pictured. Perhaps something with diamond markers. I only say that because I’ve always felt the Cartier dials looked a little cheap. Have you considered the Patek 24 as an alternative?

Hmmm, I have not. Good suggestion, off to google i go to look some more lol!

Hope you have a wonderful birthday. Bottom watch on this post is my favourite. Can I ask what your original watch is called? I tried to zoom in, but the lettering was just too small, and I absolutely love that watch.

Thank you very much :smile: i think everyone’s birthday celebrations are a tad different this year due to what is happening in the world.
My watch that i wear is a vintage Audemars Royal Oak.

Happy birthday!

Honestly. If I have AP. I wouldn’t buy Cartier watch.
My first lux watch is Cartier tank. Then I got a Rolex. I never wear the tank again.
If I got AP. I probably won’t wear Rolex anymore. Lol.

LOL! This is what the sales associate at Cartier told me too. She was surprised i would even look at other watches.

Reactions: Etriers