Coco Handle — the best "value for money" purchase right now?

Ally1707

Sep 18, 2014
Hi everyone!

I‘ve been a longtime lurker in the Chanel sub and I was planning on splurging on a classic after getting my new job but a lack of selection at the local boutique, less than helpful SAs and finally, the ridiculous price increase have really soured me on the idea of purchasing a new classic flap.

Instead, I turned my attention to the second hand (Vintage) market which I have found to be equally as frustrating. I don‘t feel incredibly comfortable spending more than €2000 on an item that is 20+ years old and it has been such a pain to find bags that are in decent condition and would last me another 20 or 40 yrs.

long story short, I keep coming back to the idea of buying new from the boutique and because of everyone sharing SA pics in the 20A thread I am finally taking a second look at the coco handle... it might be Chanel‘s overall questionable pricing strategy that is making me feel this way but I‘m beginning to think that the CH is actually priced decently, compared to other offerings from Chanel, Dior or all leather LV bags. Am I mad?

i don‘t care much for the sentiment that it‘s "not a classic“ since it has all the elements of a Chanel classic and is structured enough to stand the test of time. It has feet, a detachable strap, can be handheld, has a mona lisa backpocket and seems decently versatile. Considering the mini is now €100 cheaper(!) than a rectangular mini and about €1000 more than a WoC, it seems like Chanel‘s best offering...

am i just talking myself into sth here or could this time before the Nov price increase be the time to purchase a CH?

i would love to hear your thoughts!

Hi everyone!

I‘ve been a longtime lurker in the Chanel sub and I was planning on splurging on a classic after getting my new job but a lack of selection at the local boutique, less than helpful SAs and finally, the ridiculous price increase have really soured me on the idea of purchasing a new classic flap.

Instead, I turned my attention to the second hand (Vintage) market which I have found to be equally as frustrating. I don‘t feel incredibly comfortable spending more than €2000 on an item that is 20+ years old and it has been such a pain to find bags that are in decent condition and would last me another 20 or 40 yrs.

long story short, I keep coming back to the idea of buying new from the boutique and because of everyone sharing SA pics in the 20A thread I am finally taking a second look at the coco handle... it might be Chanel‘s overall questionable pricing strategy that is making me feel this way but I‘m beginning to think that the CH is actually priced decently, compared to other offerings from Chanel, Dior or all leather LV bags. Am I mad?

i don‘t care much for the sentiment that it‘s "not a classic“ since it has all the elements of a Chanel classic and is structured enough to stand the test of time. It has feet, a detachable strap, can be handheld, has a mona lisa backpocket and seems decently versatile. Considering the mini is now €100 cheaper(!) than a rectangular mini and about €1000 more than a WoC, it seems like Chanel‘s best offering...

am i just talking myself into sth here or could this time before the Nov price increase be the time to purchase a CH?

i would love to hear your thoughts!
Hi there,

I made the exact same decision a couple of weeks ago.... Coco Handle seemed the best deal regarding Chanels priceing and I don‘t regret it one bit. I got a small one (which can honestly compete with a jumbo that I also tried on) and I am happy I went for it.
Considering the constant increases in price I plan to grow my collection rather sooner than later. I am seriously thinking about getting another Coco Handle for all the reasons you mentioned and which draw me to the Coco in the first place!
I will buy one more Chanel this year and I am trying to find an alternative to the Coco... no luck yet :amuse:
go for it if you like it! In 2+ years I might not be able to buy from the boutique anymore... so I am doing it now and I like to get the most bang for my buck. Coco Handle it is....

634584EC-C42F-41EC-82C3-1DE0E0A0E884.png

If you're going to kick yourself later for not getting a classic flap right now, I would get the classic flap. The classic flap will only increase in price, new or used.

All that aside, I don't see anything wrong with getting a coco handle if that's what you're leaning towards. With bags, I buy what I like, not what I think offers the best value. If a bag has "good" value, but I don't actually like the bag, chances are I won't use the bag. If I like the bag, I'll use it.

I think the coco handle is a beautiful bag. It's classic and feminine, and not everyone has it. Personally, I would opt for a classic flap first though, since I don't have one yet. If it's not your goal or dream to own a classic flap, then get the coco handle :smile:

Hi there,

I made the exact same decision a couple of weeks ago.... Coco Handle seemed the best deal regarding Chanels priceing and I don‘t regret it one bit. I got a small one (which can honestly compete with a jumbo that I also tried on) and I am happy I went for it.
Considering the constant increases in price I plan to grow my collection rather sooner than later. I am seriously thinking about getting another Coco Handle for all the reasons you mentioned and which draw me to the Coco in the first place!
I will buy one more Chanel this year and I am trying to find an alternative to the Coco... no luck yet :amuse:
go for it if you like it! In 2+ years I might not be able to buy from the boutique anymore... so I am doing it now and I like to get the most bang for my buck. Coco Handle it is....

Thank you so much for your input and for the picture! I had no idea that the "small“ coco handle was this large. It definitely seems like a "now or never" kind of decision. I make decent money but not "chanel money" if that makes sense.

I grew up watching Marissa Cooper carry Chanels on The OC and reading my mom‘s InStyle and it‘s a stupid dream of mine to own a Chanel bag... I‘m glad you like your Coco Handle!! Fingers crossed you can expand your collection further.

If you're going to kick yourself later for not getting a classic flap right now, I would get the classic flap. The classic flap will only increase in price, new or used.

All that aside, I don't see anything wrong with getting a coco handle if that's what you're leaning towards. With bags, I buy what I like, not what I think offers the best value. If a bag has "good" value, but I don't actually like the bag, chances are I won't use the bag. If I like the bag, I'll use it.

I think the coco handle is a beautiful bag. It's classic and feminine, and not everyone has it. Personally, I would opt for a classic flap first though, since I don't have one yet. If it's not your goal or dream to own a classic flap, then get the coco handle :smile:

thanks for the input! I‘ve been wanting a Chanel bag for forever but I don‘t mind if it‘s not a classic flap. The Coco Handle ticks the necessary boxes for me: quilting, chain strap and turnlock. i think the CH is a nice twist on these elements but with the fun handle.:biggrin:

Thank you so much for your input and for the picture! I had no idea that the "small“ coco handle was this large. It definitely seems like a "now or never" kind of decision. I make decent money but not "chanel money" if that makes sense.

I grew up watching Marissa Cooper carry Chanels on The OC and reading my mom‘s InStyle and it‘s a stupid dream of mine to own a Chanel bag... I‘m glad you like your Coco Handle!! Fingers crossed you can expand your collection further.
Who could ever forget Marissa, right?:lol:
I can relate 1000% to everything you wrote!
Good luck deciding and I have just noticed you are in Germany as well!:flowers:

Reactions: Ally1707
I totally agree that the Coco Handle is best value for money. I'd say the Trendy CC is as well, but I think, like you said, the Coco Handle ticks all the boxes for what you could want for a "quintessential Chanel" bag, and is a timeless look.

My Chanel style idol was Lauren Conrad on "The Hills". She rocked that Medallion like it was paying her rent! :lol:

0f761997c7b8dc7665da2f7ed779f489.jpg
lauren-conrad-and-chanel-medallion-tote-gallery.jpg

I got a black chevron coco handle last fall for the same reason. Was debating getting a boy, but I’m so happy with the coco handle. My SA also said it is one of the best values at Chanel.

If you want a Chanel handbag but are not tied to owning a classic flap/reissue/mini then I agree that the Coco handle is a great choice. As stated, it does tick all the boxes and is still “reasonably” priced. Good luck on your future purchase!

Reactions: Ally1707
If you're talking about the best value of all the Chanel bags - I would agree that the CCH is priced right (even with the recent increase, depending on where you're located), it ticks off all the elements of a Chanel bag, practical and spacious and it gives you the "Chanel" branding without spending TOO much money. If you're comparing it to other brands, it really depends (materials, shape, size, etc.). For example, I wouldn't compare the 20A CCH small/medium against my medium Lady Dior because it's different materials (caviar vs. lambskin), shape, hardware, etc. In terms of quality - I have yet to testify because I haven't used it long enough.

I actually wasn't a fan of Chanel until earlier this year when I came upon the CCH. I always associated the classic flap (which I'm not a huge fan of) with Chanel and didn't really explore their designs too much. That said, I also don't like ubiquitous things so CCH for me was a perfect fit for my style and price point. It is a popular model so if you're interested, I would visit the store > try it on > purchase it if you're feeling the bag. I missed out in earlier this year and had to wait for 20A collection (which I'm more happier about since they released the champagne gold hardware)

My thinking was like yours in 2019, buy the coco handle, it’s cheaper and “almost looks like a classic flap”.

Here’s why I decided against the coco handle:
- The edges of CCH are very prone to wear and tear
- CCH won’t age as well as a classic flap (edges)
- Price of new CCH is the same or cheaper than a preloved excellent condition medium caviar ghw classic flap
- I tried the CCH in store and didn’t like how it looked, no wow factor compared to the classic flap
- My desire will always be to have a classic flap until I buy it

So I bought a 28 series 1 year old medium Chanel classic flap ghw with receipt and packaging instead. Same price as a CCH, but with the recent price increase, this was the best decision I made!

Coco handle is next on my Chanel wishlist. I decide that I like the classic quilt more than chevron. Now I just need to figure out which color - def not black since I have too many black bag. To me, it's considered a classic style (similar to H Kelly bag). Price is great and you can wear it two ways - with or without shoulder strap. Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
Reactions: C.Ly and cityivy