Influencers Not Following Shelter in Place Orders

Erin Condren is a neighbor and her kids graduated with my daughter. She is getting so much hate and actually stepped down from her own company because of a graduation celebration that she and her kids organized last week. She gave an interview for a local newspaper that completely backfired on her. Wow! So much hate directed at her and her kids. My daughter and a majority of the graduating seniors skipped the Senior stroll because they knew ahead of time that there would be no social distancing and resistance to the use of masks. I am very, very sad for Erin and Kate because they do not deserve all of this vitriol. I know nothing about Erin's company other than she makes planners. I had no idea that she was an influencer or had any kind of following before this event.

Reading up on her now, didn't even know who she was!

I do think that anyone with any sort of platform right now needs to be incredibly careful about what they post and what they are doing. People look to those with a platform to see what they are doing and they take cues from them. Some say they didn't ask for this, but you do when you put yourself out there and share your life and profit off your following.

Reading up on her now, didn't even know who she was!

I do think that anyone with any sort of platform right now needs to be incredibly careful about what they post and what they are doing. People look to those with a platform to see what they are doing and they take cues from them. Some say they didn't ask for this, but you do when you put yourself out there and share your life and profit off your following.

So true. The problem is she gave an interview to a small neighborhood periodical and Erin’s tone was very tongue in cheek and joking. Her competitors got wind of it, plus the LA times featured a picture of our neighbors without masks during the Senior stroll and was very critical of our lack of social distancing and masks. Then the hate piled on, BIG TIME, nationally. Erin’s two Instagram accounts are brutal. I was on the parent GroupMe and at no time were we told that we were doing any type of “March”. In retrospect, Erin’s and Kate’s words in the interview are tone deaf and smack of privilege. However, they are a good and decent family. I am so very sad for Kate. She really is a sweet kid.

Last edited:
So true. The problem is she gave an interview to a small neighborhood periodical and Erin’s tone was very tongue in cheek and joking. Her competitors got wind of it, plus the LA times featured a picture of our neighbors without masks during the Senior stroll and was very critical of our lack of social distancing and masks. Then the hate piled on, BIG TIME, nationally. Erin’s two Instagram accounts are brutal. I was on the parent GroupMe and at no time were we told that we were doing any type of “March”. In retrospect, Erin’s and Kate’s words in the interview are tone deaf and smack of privilege. However, they are a good and decent family. I am so very sad for Kate. She really is a sweet kid.

The articles I've read about it (knowing there is of course a skew) really paint her and how she handled this in a poor light. Even the company CEO apologized for this being pegged somehow as a BLM march or how they were going to go around rules saying they were exercising with hulahoops.

I get it - no kid thought their graduation would go this way, or any major life event, but parents need to be there to guide kids (and 18 year olds are still kids) and tell them what's ok and not ok. Her daughter will forever have her name tarnished over this now too. That's so unfortunate, the internet lives on.

I know people who have lost friends and family members from this horrible virus (actually, a woman who used to work with us lost her father after he battled COVID) and I think it's the job of parents to teach their kids empathy for others and not how to skirt around rules and regulations. We are all in this together. Even if one of those kids gets sick and doesn't get their immediate family sick, they could get someone else sick with a sneeze when they walk by and that person could die or spread to someone else who could die.

Erin Condren’s company sells masks. MASKS. For adults and children. There are so many layers to this that are just absurd and unacceptable. I don’t feel bad for her and I don’t feel bad for her daughter ‍♀️ There were plenty of kids/young adults who chose not to participate because it was problematic. Was the level of backlash to harsh? Yeah, maybe to a degree. But this just reeks of privilege and what’s wrong with society.

Erin Condren’s company sells masks. MASKS. For adults and children. There are so many layers to this that are just absurd and unacceptable. I don’t feel bad for her and I don’t feel bad for her daughter ‍♀ There were plenty of kids/young adults who chose not to participate because it was problematic. Was the level of backlash to harsh? Yeah, maybe to a degree. But this just reeks of privilege and what’s wrong with society.
Agreed. My daughter and her friends refused to participate because she knew in advance a lot of kids were resistant to the social distancing and mask requirements. Completely stupid and tone deaf march during this pandemic. I am very proud of my daughter for refusing to participate in this march especially since so many of those who did participate said they had a nice and memorable time. However, I do take issue with the allegations that participation in the walk indicate the kids and parents are racists as so many people are alleging in social media. For that, I think Erin and Kate are being unfairly vilified as racists. Privileged and tone deaf, absolutely yes, but racist, not from what I know about this family.

The Easy Reader posted this clarification because Erin and Kate got so much hate because of the initial article.
Clarification: Student pier to pier walk
Last week’s Easy Reader cover story about the Mira Costa High School Class of 2020 celebrating graduation with a walk from the Hermosa Beach pier to the Manhattan Beach pier generated a widespread, social media backlash against the students and against the Erin Condren company, which makes day planners. The company’s namesake founder’s children helped organize the walk.

Some of the social media criticism addresses the failure of the majority of the students to wear masks and socially distance during the walk. That criticism is supported by photos of the event, which accompanied the story.

The widespread accusations that the walk was s racist event is not supported by the facts. The racism charge appears to be based on the fact that a Black Lives Matter walk from the Manhattan Pier to the Hermosa Pier occurred two weeks previous to the graduation walk. From this, an inference appears to have been drawn that the students’ walk was a mockery of the Black Lives Matter walk. But as noted in the story, local pier to pier walks are commonplace as fundraisers, as celebrations and simply as exercise.

I interviewed many of the student walk participants and race did not come up in any of the reporting I did about the walk. Anyone who draws the conclusion from last week’s story that the walk was a racist event has misread the story. Nor is there any other basis I am aware of for a charge of racism against the walk participants. — Kevin Cody, Publisher

Last edited:
Agreed to a point. My daughter and her friends refused to participate because she knew in advance a lot of kids were resistant to the social distancing and mask requirements. Completely stupid and tone deaf march during this pandemic. I am very proud of my daughter for refusing to participate in this march especially since so many of those who did participate said they had a nice and memorable time.

The Easy Reader posted this clarification because Erin and Kate got so much hate because of the initial article.
Clarification: Student pier to pier walk
Last week’s Easy Reader cover story about the Mira Costa High School Class of 2020 celebrating graduation with a walk from the Hermosa Beach pier to the Manhattan Beach pier generated a widespread, social media backlash against the students and against the Erin Condren company, which makes day planners. The company’s namesake founder’s children helped organize the walk.

Some of the social media criticism addresses the failure of the majority of the students to wear masks and socially distance during the walk. That criticism is supported by photos of the event, which accompanied the story.

The widespread accusations that the walk was s racist event is not supported by the facts. The racism charge appears to be based on the fact that a Black Lives Matter walk from the Manhattan Pier to the Hermosa Pier occurred two weeks previous to the graduation walk. From this, an inference appears to have been drawn that the students’ walk was a mockery of the Black Lives Matter walk. But as noted in the story, local pier to pier walks are commonplace as fundraisers, as celebrations and simply as exercise.

I interviewed many of the student walk participants and race did not come up in any of the reporting I did about the walk. Anyone who draws the conclusion from last week’s story that the walk was a racist event has misread the story. Nor is there any other basis I am aware of for a charge of racism against the walk participants. — Kevin Cody, Publisher
That Easy Reader article, sadly, misses a major point. It’s not that the march was overtly racist. It’s the fact that hundreds of (mostly) white, maskless faces could gather with no repercussions (until it was made known to a wider audience). Masks/pandemic aside, a big point is that these are people who could gather without fear of arrest, threats, etc. BLM protesters- those who are peaceful and in masks- are constantly eviscerated by the media and I’ve seen a lot of crap about it from our neighbors on NextDoor and community FB pages. These kids and their parents now have a paper making excuses for them? Why? Everyone else dealt with the fact that they couldn’t have a normal graduation and celebrations. This just shows that MB and the MC kids are more concerned about themselves. That is privilege, right there. As I noted earlier, it would have been a completely different story if neighboring Hawthorne students pulled this.

you definitely should be proud of your daughter- peer pressure is no joke and she did the right thing. You’ve done well by her as her parent. You should be proud or yourself too

What is crazier is that the police were there and actually participated in the Senior Stroll while parents were openly drinking champagne and some kids were doing keg stands. No where on earth would this happen now.

Precisely why I don't follow any influencers. Unfortunately some are self serving and don't think about the whole picture and how what they do impacts others. This is serious and these people are flouting the advice and doing as they please. Makes my blood boil
I do not follow them either