Reasons why you love (or hate) Goyard St. Louis GM

t1ffahnee

Apr 28, 2010
Hi! I’ve been thinking about getting the Goyard St Louis GM in gray. I love the light weight of the bag and how it looks so effortless. I’ve been watching a ton of videos and reviews online to figure out if the St Louis is durable and if the sizing would be good for me. I am 5”2 and wanted to make sure this bag wasnt too overwhelming. I already have the Anjou in the PM size, and have been itching to get a St Louis GM size. I would love to hear your thoughts on 1) why you chose the St Louis GM 2) wear and tear, how often do you use it? Do you baby your bag? Or overstuff it? Any quality issues? 3) would you get it again? thanks in advance!

I have the St. Louis GM in orange. I bought it many years ago in the San Francisco store.
I have to say, I hardly used this bag.

1. GM is too large on me (I'm 5.5).
  2. The color is too loud.
  3. When I have a large bag, I tend to over-stuff and it gets too heavy.
  4. On summer days when the bag is heavy, the straps cut into my shoulders.
  5. The straps on the GM and PM are the same, and on GM it feels not enough for the big size of the bag.
I'm thinking about getting the PM size in a conservative color: navy. I think I will definitely carry less items because it is a smaller size, and carry it more often because it's easy to match any outfit. Just my two cents.

I want to love the St. Louis GM, but it (and the LV NeverFull GM) look like luggage on me. I have two St. Louis PMs and I am 5’2”, medium build. I’ve been eyeing the Anjou bc I want something a bit more structured and bc the shoulder drop seems a tad more generous, but that could be my imagination.

My second goyard St.. Louis pm is in light grey, and it looks bigger on me than the black St. Louis PM bc of the lighter color.

and, Off topic, but it would be great if the St. Louis had a bit more ample shoulder drop. and, if companies could make an insert to allow you the option of having a bit more structure. . . . But that’s probably not going to happen.

Last edited:
I have the St. Louis GM in orange. I bought it many years ago in the San Francisco store.
I have to say, I hardly used this bag.

1. GM is too large on me (I'm 5.5).
  2. The color is too loud.
  3. When I have a large bag, I tend to over-stuff and it gets too heavy.
  4. On summer days when the bag is heavy, the straps cut into my shoulders.
  5. The straps on the GM and PM are the same, and on GM it feels not enough for the big size of the bag.
I'm thinking about getting the PM size in a conservative color: navy. I think I will definitely carry less items because it is a smaller size, and carry it more often because it's easy to match any outfit. Just my two cents.
Bummer to hear about the straps between the GM and the PM being the same. I wish the PM straps could be a little longer and was hoping the GM would be enough.
And in my opinion, I think you should get the black color instead. I have a friend who has navy, and when taking pictures with her bag, it looks black for a far. I do love the navy in person, but it can be mistaken for black from a far.

I want to love the St. Louis GM, but it (and the LV NeverFull GM) look like luggage on me. I have two St. Louis PMs and I am 5’2”, medium build. I’ve been eyeing the Anjou bc I want something a bit more structured and bc the shoulder drop seems a tad more generous, but that could be my imagination.

My second goyard St.. Louis pm is in light grey, and it looks bigger on me than the black St. Louis PM bc of the lighter color.

and, Off topic, but it would be great if the St. Louis had a bit more ample shoulder drop. and, if companies could make an insert to allow you the option of having a bit more structure. . . . But that’s probably not going to happen.
Thanks so much for the insight. I think the PM size is great for petites, but I have muscular arms and shoulders and feel/look silly when using the PM Anjou. The PM Anjou shoulder drop is the same as the PM St. Louis. I was hoping the GM might fit on my shoulders and I could fold the corners of the bag in. I completely agree with you, I wish the straps were more generous. Do you mind sharing a mod shot of you in your Pm gray? And the GM if you have it available? Thank you in advance!!

Reactions: RT1
I don’t have the GM, just the PM. I love how I could throw the bag around and it’s essentially waterproof. I can see how one can just throw things around but I have a sack I put in there for my lipsticks, my wallet, and these days hand sanitizers. I also love that in the land of LV here in TX, Goyard
Thank so much! I would consider a PM again but I have muscular shoulders and arms and it’s difficult for me to wear it without feeling silly. I wish the strap drops were a little longer. I was hoping the GM might be a little better for me.

Thanks so much for the insight. I think the PM size is great for petites, but I have muscular arms and shoulders and feel/look silly when using the PM Anjou. The PM Anjou shoulder drop is the same as the PM St. Louis. I was hoping the GM might fit on my shoulders and I could fold the corners of the bag in. I completely agree with you, I wish the straps were more generous. Do you mind sharing a mod shot of you in your Pm gray? And the GM if you have it available? Thank you in advance!!
thank you for the info on the Anjou shoulder drop, I have an arm Issue too :sad: apologies, I cannot find my iPhone and this is a crappy Pic of the PM, but if you want a better one I will have more time tomorrow. I tried the GM on but didn’t buy bc it was like I was a little girl carrying a suitcase, and I’m not petite at all. I don’t remember the shoulder drop on the GM. .

image.jpg

Apologies I think the pictures came out huge. Both are PM St. Louis totes. And I am short but definitely not petite (big in the shoulder and arm for my size) HTH

Apologies I think the pictures came out huge. Both are PM St. Louis totes. And I am short but definitely not petite (big in the shoulder and arm for my size) HTH

Both good choices. I think I'm going with St. Louis PM in navy. I'm in Southern California so it's always very sunny here, the navy color will really show under the constant sun and I can get lots of versatility out of this tote.

Do you have anything Goyard in bright colors? Like red or burgundy? I'm tempted.

I have a PM (orange) and GM (royal blue). The GM is big. I use it as a tennis/beach/carry on bag. It fits my tennis racquet, shoes, socks, water bottle and then wallet, keys, sunglasses, hat, etc. Like I said, it’s big. The PM is more of a big purse that fits laptop, iPad, notebooks and other day to day stuff.

I do not baby my bags. My GM is 5+ years old, has been thrown on sand, cement and clay courts and shoved under airplane sets. I’m just now seeing fray on the corners and then handles still look great. I abuse the PM less and it’s in better shape. If I hadn’t for a leaky Diet Coke bottle, it would be perfect!