New Chanel mini rectangular uneven sides

kombucha

Nov 18, 2018
I just picked up a rectangular Chanel mini in black lambskin from Neiman's, and first thing I noticed was that the sides are uneven. :sad: One side pops in a lot more than the others - see photos here.

I messaged my SA and he said that this was normal. I've also see other threads here of other people experiencing the same thing. The SA advised that I could try 1) pushing the side in to even it out, or 2) stuffing the bag to reshape the bag...but this seems a lot of hassle to me for such an expensive bag. I did try to push it in and it remedies the situation a little, but goes back to looking uneven without manually pushing it in.

Would love your thoughts as I am thinking about returning the bag. Apparently this is the last one at Neiman's, but I am also on the waiting list at Chanel right now. (I signed up for multiple waiting lists when this season was released). The SA at Chanel said I might expect a mini from them in the next few weeks or so. Unfortunately the return policy for Neiman runs out before I would get the bag at Chanel, so i can't compare side by side.

What do you guys think? Am I being too picky, would the bag eventually even out on its own anyway? Has anyone experienced this with their own minis, and could you "reshape" the bag? I'm worried that if I return, I might end up getting another one with the same problem anyway.

TIA!

mini 1.JPG

mini 2.JPG

mini 3.jpg

mini4.jpg

Reactions: Winter’sJoy
I own a few minis and the sides do not look like this. It is not true what your SA said about this is "normal for a lambskin bag". It is shame for people unfamiliar with what the quality was a few years ago. I would not accept this bag as is, given the amount of money you paid for it. I would return and wait for a near perfect bag that you will be happy with. Believe me this will bug you and you will not be able to unsee this. Why is it your job to reshape the side of the bag? If you live near a Chanel store, I suggest finding a SA that will work with you and will source a near perfect bag. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Yeah- I bought a lambskin mini last year and one of the reasons I like it so much is because the sides are symmetrical lol. It would really bother me if it wasn’t- but I have seen a lot that have uneven sides like yours. Unfortunately, due to inventory it may be difficult to inspect multiple bags to find the perfect one. I like to check the bag over for popped/loose stitches, dents from storage, scratches/scuffs, pocket alignment, strap issues, and the side indents! You can have a nice SA check the bag for you before going to the store to pick up a replacement if you choose to replace it!

I own a few minis and the sides do not look like this. It is not true what your SA said about this is "normal for a lambskin bag". It is shame for people unfamiliar with what the quality was a few years ago. I would not accept this bag as is, given the amount of money you paid for it. I would return and wait for a near perfect bag that you will be happy with. Believe me this will bug you and you will not be able to unsee this. Why is it your job to reshape the side of the bag? If you live near a Chanel store, I suggest finding a SA that will work with you and will source a near perfect bag. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah- I bought a lambskin mini last year and one of the reasons I like it so much is because the sides are symmetrical lol. It would really bother me if it wasn’t- but I have seen a lot that have uneven sides like yours. Unfortunately, due to inventory it may be difficult to inspect multiple bags to find the perfect one. I like to check the bag over for popped/loose stitches, dents from storage, scratches/scuffs, pocket alignment, strap issues, and the side indents! You can have a nice SA check the bag for you before going to the store to pick up a replacement if you choose to replace it!

Thank you both so much for your honest input. This is my first Chanel bag in lambskin so I wanted to verify. My friend who owns the same bag, purchased last year, sent me pictures of hers and hers looks really good and symmetrical on both sides. She did mention she looked at 3 different minis side by side in the boutique, and the ones she rejected looked like mine.

I am disappointed; for the high price point, I would expect symmetry and I think it’s ridiculous that I have to shell out so much money AND reshape the bag myself because it’s “normal”. This is the first time where I've purchased a Chanel bag and when pulling out of the box, didn't feel the "wow" factor. Even if this is normal for the bag to even out by itself, I want to shape the bag through wear and tear myself, not have it come straight out of the box like this.

I was reluctant to believe my SA when he was telling me, "this is normal" and "ALL minis look like this". I feel like because the mini is in such high demand, Chanel is still able to sell the ones that look like this? But I've decided that I will likely return and just wait patiently for the right one to pop up. I should be thrilled with my purchase, not stressing about whether or not to keep a bag that is not up to my expectations.

Thank you both so much for your honest input. This is my first Chanel bag in lambskin so I wanted to verify. My friend who owns the same bag, purchased last year, sent me pictures of hers and hers looks really good and symmetrical on both sides. She did mention she looked at 3 different minis side by side in the boutique, and the ones she rejected looked like mine.

I am disappointed; for the high price point, I would expect symmetry and I think it’s ridiculous that I have to shell out so much money AND reshape the bag myself because it’s “normal”. This is the first time where I've purchased a Chanel bag and when pulling out of the box, didn't feel the "wow" factor. Even if this is normal for the bag to even out by itself, I want to shape the bag through wear and tear myself, not have it come straight out of the box like this.

I was reluctant to believe my SA when he was telling me, "this is normal" and "ALL minis look like this". I feel like because the mini is in such high demand, Chanel is still able to sell the ones that look like this? But I've decided that I will likely return and just wait patiently for the right one to pop up. I should be thrilled with my purchase, not stressing about whether or not to keep a bag that is not up to my expectations.
I understand how you feel but I just want to say that I carried my uneven red mini yesterday for the first time and now both sides are identical.

I think the most important thing is that you are disappointed. I didn’t mention that there are certain things about my mini that other people might not like- that season of lambskin has been described as tougher and also the edges of the leather on the chain are unfinished. But every time I look at the bag or use it my heart skips a beat! To the point where I get defensive of people saying the leather is bad lol. So at the end of the day it might be hard to find a “perfect” one- and symmetry sounds like should be one of the deal breakers for you- but it should make make your heart sing when you see it and use it!

Reactions: kombucha
I understand how you feel but I just want to say that I carried my uneven red mini yesterday for the first time and now both sides are identical.

thank you so much for the reassurance! This is helpful too, in case the other ones I see are also not symmetrical (or I end up keeping my original one after all!) If you have pictures handy of what your bag looks like now, would love to see!

Last edited: