Travel When are you likely to travel?

I’m excited. I’m traveling this week. I have my LV Speedy 35 out. She hasn’t traveled since February. I’m taking my Chanel and YSL SLGs. I’m flying to see my doctor. I’m not doing much. Flying. Grocery store. Hole up in hotel. Doctor visit. Relax for 24 hours. Fly home. I’m not looking forward to all the precautions. To paying attention to every surface and person I’m near. But, I am ecstatic to get one small tiny bit of normalcy back. I haven’t been on an airplane in 3 months and just realized that’s probably the longest I haven’t been in the sky in 20+ years.

I will probably walk down to the ocean too.

Ok. I am being brave. I booked the trip for late June. The airline is only booking their flights to 70% or something. It is only 1 non stop flight. So I can focus to get through the airport once and on one flight. For some reason I think 2 flights would be too stressful for me. I can be strong for one !!! :biggrin: I got my hotel and I made sure it was near a grocery store and has a fridge so I don't have to do a lot of take out. It's next to the ocean so I plan to do a lot of walking. I am so excited. It's probably the only thing I am doing all year.
We have a 2nd home in Palm Springs. I have flown back and forth twice during all of this. Once with 8 people per flight per leg. The 2nd trip had fuller flights but everyone had masks. Airport and Airlines are all taking precautions and to me, if felt safer than when I have to go to Target or the grocery. (By the way...the last trip was one month ago.)

Reactions: LemonDrop
We have a 2nd home in Palm Springs. I have flown back and forth twice during all of this. Once with 8 people per flight per leg. The 2nd trip had fuller flights but everyone had masks. Airport and Airlines are all taking precautions and to me, if felt safer than when I have to go to Target or the grocery. (By the way...the last trip was one month ago.)
Oh, and have fun!

Reactions: LemonDrop
I absolutely love traveling and typically travel internationally each year or so, but given the circumstances, I don't plan to fly until there is a vaccine and/or an extremely effective treatment. I just don't feel safe doing so. I may do a road trip but the thought of staying in a hotel or Airbnb doesn't feel very comforting at the moment.

@Vlad feels pretty comfortable to try to travel sooner, but I am much more hesitant. I think if it was just me and him, I might feel a bit more comfortable, but we have 2 small kids, one is 17 months and he touches everything and puts his fingers in his mouth and then mine constantly, so I am going to wait more. Not sure when, but I think at least until I see far less cases happening around us and the US

@Vlad feels pretty comfortable to try to travel sooner, but I am much more hesitant. I think if it was just me and him, I might feel a bit more comfortable, but we have 2 small kids, one is 17 months and he touches everything and puts his fingers in his mouth and then mine constantly, so I am going to wait more. Not sure when, but I think at least until I see far less cases happening around us and the US

Perhaps it's time to get an RV. I need to get out of this place somehow!

Well... My stomach's all twisty in knots over this news, but our governor announced a "pre-travel testing program" as an alternative to 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This is supposedly starting Aug 1.

Oahu's numbers are comparatively low, but Kauai had a few cases after weeks of none after the inter-island quarantine requirement was lifted. I can only imagine what it might be like as tourism restarts, especially since many of our continental tourists come from states where covid cases are still rising.

I hope they work out all the loopholes prior. I'm a member of some FB travel pages and I'm continually astonished and saddened at how some people are so ANGRY about the quarantine requirement and ANGRY about masks and distancing. All sorts of name-calling being tossed back and forth.

Reactions: limom and lakeshow
I received another e-mail from them this morning advertising sale flights, and there are currently other non-stop flights available for purchase, but at 4x of what we paid on May 20th. My husband called yesterday and was able to switch our flights back to RT flights without any charge, but again, who knows if they'll add stops between now and September. At least they're promising to keep middle seats empty through the end of September.

The processes are automated and if there is a schedule change a computer does the rerouting for whatever is available at the time. Definitely call if the rerouting is inconvenient and a live person can look at it and fix it accordingly. My guess is your flight schedule will change a few more times between now and September.

Reactions: rutabaga
Well... My stomach's all twisty in knots over this news, but our governor announced a "pre-travel testing program" as an alternative to 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This is supposedly starting Aug 1.

Oahu's numbers are comparatively low, but Kauai had a few cases after weeks of none after the inter-island quarantine requirement was lifted. I can only imagine what it might be like as tourism restarts, especially since many of our continental tourists come from states where covid cases are still rising.

I hope they work out all the loopholes prior. I'm a member of some FB travel pages and I'm continually astonished and saddened at how some people are so ANGRY about the quarantine requirement and ANGRY about masks and distancing. All sorts of name-calling being tossed back and forth.

Oh gosh, I'm can't believe they are opening up to tourists from the continental US! I'm on an island too (in Canada) and frankly I am happy to stay right where I am, and not go anywhere and not have anyone come over to the island! I couldn't possibly think of international travel. My two big international work trips for the rest of the year have been cancelled as have all my small work trips in Canada. Even before COVID travel was losing it's allure...every remotely popular destination is so over-subscribed with hordes of tourists, it seems. Now especially I am content to enjoy a staycation.

Reactions: Junkenpo
Just finished my travels today in USA. I traveled by plane and stayed in a hotel. I would recommend traveling by plane if you really want to visit a loved one. It wouldn't be worth it to me to go somewhere on a plane just for fun. There is an elevated risk any time you leave the house. I think the airlines are starting to get it together to the point it's fairly safe to travel if there is a big benefit. But I wouldn't be out flying right now just because fares are cheap.

Last edited:
I booked a stay at a ranch the second week of July. It's only two hours from me. When I called, it sounded like it will be pretty empty. The lady told me they are usually all booked up for activities for the entire summer(horse back riding, fly fishing, chuck wagon cookouts). This year I could have my pick of days because there was availability for everything.

Last weekend I drove to a ghost town (also in state) that I've been meaning to visit.

It will be a year of in-state travel for me.

Reactions: GhstDreamer
I has two trips planned that I had to cancel (Bahamas in April and Italy in July). I've been such a homebody these past months only doing essential trips (i.e. supermarket). I may continue that in the summer. I won't think about traveling until next year depending on what happens during our fall/winter months.