Anesthesia experience in Korea vs. North America

suziesu

class&simple
Jun 13, 2006
Hello everyone, I was wondering, for those of you who have had the experience, or who have done research on this aspect, is there any significant difference between anesthesia appointed in surgeries in Korea versus the experience in North America. In terms of the medication, monitoring system, execution etc.

I start to have the question because I read about a patient sharing her anesthesia experience in Japan, where she could walk wobbly, with the nurse holding her, right after waking up from GA, versus, in another Asian country, she needed to be carried and unable to move at all right after the surgery.

In Korea there’s no Anesthesiologist that comes up to you and reviews your whole history and introduces themselves. They just bring you into the operating room on a dirty table and old medical supplies and a nurse starts your iv and then you fall asleep
This was at Regen hospital with Dr Oh
I don’t even think it was an anesthesiologist it was likely just a nurse

in America you get a phone call a week before with the anesthesiologist who reviews your medical history and asks plenty of questions then when you get to the surgery they come to your bedside and introduce themselves and again review everything with you and explain the anesthesia type they will use

also in American the doctor comes to your beside before the surgery and is on. Time

In Korea dr oh didn’t come to my bedside and he was 2.5 hours late

I would never get surgery in Korea again it’s very sCary

further when I woke up from my two surgeries they knocked out my veneer twice
Also the first time they moved me to some room and the consultant Suyen who has ignored me for 2 months now , told me I had difficulty breathing and they had to change the local anesthesia to general anesthesia and knocked out my tooth and they wouldn’t pay for my tooth
I asked to speak to the anesthesiologist and they said it’s not possible , I even asked the next day , I never met them

it’s very shady

Reactions: bisousx
Oh my goodness, I don't have good memory when it comes to names, but this Dr. Oh, this is at least the second time I read negative reviews on his facial contour surgery. I think the first one I read was on RealSelf.

Reactions: Enlighten99
Yes it is so scary there and not clean at all

I’m never going back to Korea

also they use ghost surgeons

Oh my goodness, I don't have good memory when it comes to names, but this Dr. Oh, this is at least the second time I read negative reviews on his facial contour surgery. I think the first one I read was on RealSelf.

Hi I gave my honest opinion about my experience of anesthesia in America vs Korea
It is intelligent And accurate
I don’t trash everything South Korean
I share my honest experience about Regen and Dr Oh and events in South Korea

I never said anything about the food, shops, religion etc

It was already too late when I paid all the money and I was being walked into the operating room and put to sleep

my partner saw that it was dirty and asked to stop the surgery and get his money back and they said no it’s ok goodnight bye bye and put the cover over his face to go to sleep

I Have been severely traumatized
I got sucked into the South Korean advertisements and Suyen and Regen and they convinced me that I needed two jaw Surgery and dr oh botched me and all the surgeons I see here feel badly for me and agree they don’t know what he was thinking at all and it’s crazy what he did
Also he sawed offf my jawline illegally and my bones are gone I can’t get them back

can you imagine this pain?

Dr oh hasn’t responded to me since the surgery and his office has not respdnked in 3 months
I cant even get my own surgical reports or consent forms
How do think it feels like to be abandoned by the surgeon and staff you trusted your life with ?
It’s my face!

I have to wear a sleeping machine to breathe now
I have severe obstructive sleep apnea
Do you want to have a narrow airway to the point you’re choking on food daily ? You’re not breathing 496 times every night for 10 seconds and desaturating oxygen to 77% ? Are at risk of a heart attack, stroke atrial fibrillation because of him?

I also have to find a revision surgeon who I trust will make me normal looking and fix my sleep apnea

did you know he detached my nose from my maxilla and it’s permanently wider now and more nostrils are showing? He didn’t tell me that at all
I need a nose job likely after this

did you know i might need metal joints made for me if my Lower jaw isn’t strong enough and can break in half and then all the prep I go through was for nothing and I’ll have to wake and be told I didn’t have anything done and I’m back to planning again?

so yes I want to warn anyone who is considering this invasive jaw surgery in Korea to think about not going

I want to warn people not to go to Regen and dr oh because of the horrible care, medical malpractice, negligence and cruelty

I am adding my experience and it is helpful

I am preventing other people from making this mistake

It isn’t safe to go to a foreign country to get plastic surgery
It’s not worth the cheaper price tag
Dr oh didn’t listen to what I wanted he listened to himself and what he wants and knows to do he wants small little faces in a v line and sucked in

so yes everyone should stay away from dr oh Regen

and it is risky to go to a foreign country to get plastic surgery

why don’t you imagine living like me now?

that is not nice what you said
Enlighten99 doesn't do anything on here but trash everything South Korean. He/She/They have nothing intelligent or helpful to add and I have no clue why the Admins continue to allow their posts.

If you walked into a surgical suite and there was a dirty table and old medical supplies, would you have surgery?

Reactions: Murshroom
I've had several surgeries in Korea (revision from infected nose job in US, eyelid, and Vline).
In the US for my breast augmentation and first Nose job, the anesthesiologist is definitely much more personal. They introduce themselves and talk to you the night before. I was given an anti-nausea pill to take the morning of surgery with a small sip of water which helps a lot. Despite all the surgery experience I have I get extreme anxiety w anesthesia and Americans are more soothing and understanding...they converse with you and try to get you to relax right before, had me count down from 10 to 1 while they were putting me to sleep and I don't remember anything after I said "7".
Afterward I felt little to no nausea.

In Korea they have a more "no-nonsense" approach to anesthesia, more robotic with surgery. It's a scarier experience for me personally because you walk into a room with 4- 5 nurses, they start to strap your arms and legs down to a cold metal table. It felt like I was about to get electroshock therapy or something! Luckily at View the consultant was comforting me and saying don't worry and staying with me until I fell asleep....

After surgery I was so groggy, nauseous, and vomited. I remember I was trying to walk out with 2 nurses helping me and I fell down because my legs felt like jello. They needed to give me anti-nausea medicine. It feels like it just hits you MUCH harder than American surgery.

Again, I may just be sensitive. I have heard Koreans don't like to give as strong painkillers as the US to prevent addictions (their prescription painkiller is like over the counter Tylenol).

Here is what an admin said when others were asking admin to step in

from swanky
“Let me address some things. . .

1} no member on tPF has any power to get another banned
2} just because you don't like a topic doesn't mean you should demand it be closed, just don't read it!
3} be respectful ALWAYS on tPF or you'll be removed, period. We do not allow personal attacks or personal info of others to be posted or discussed, and what happens OFF tPF must stay off, don't drag drama here.
4} if a member annoys you, add them to you Ignore User list
5} if you believe a rule is being broken, report it and move on “

So Eurasian beauty you can add me to your ignore list but I didn’t break any of these rules
I am giving my honest opinion

Unless I missed some of her posts, the first statement is a generalization. The second statement that her comments aren't helpful... although I can't speak for others... I've personally found them helpful. I think some compassion may be warranted.

(My post isn't indicative of what I think of that clinic or that doctor.)

Reactions: Swanky
Yes this is very accurate like mine

my partner after the surgery in Korea at Regen with dr oh was moved into the waiting room where all these women were waiting to get consults and no one cared for him to provide water or an ice pack. No one called me to tell Me he’s done to come to help him
He had to find his luggage they put in the hallway and fish out his glasses and then call me
He threw up in the hallway too and they didn’t care
He had bandages and black eyes and subconjunctval hemorrhage
That was really bad care

In America my surgeon called my parents right after surgery to tell them
They can come pick me
Up and everything went well.
I woke up in a post op unit and a nurse at my bedside and was told everything went well and my parents were called and given my belongings I put in a clear bag and they helped me get dressed and into a wheelchair and took me
Downstairs

also my surgeon ordered my pain meds a week before surgery so I picked them up early and had them ready at home

I got a call the next day with a nurse too asking if I’m ok

vs in Korea they kept me a room that wasn’t a hospital and the girls were not nurses and ignored me despite me pressing the button and only came to do their temperature checks and switch my salien
I said I can’t breathe help me they said I don’t care
and this is with a. Translation app

now I know why I couldn’t breathe he moved my jaws back 14 mm and compressed my airway and my nose and mouth were full of blood but mostly because my airway was so narrowed I really could’ve died , I felt I was gonna die

this is scary ok and I’m sharing what I felt

I've had several surgeries in Korea (revision from infected nose job in US, eyelid, and Vline).
In the US for my breast augmentation and first Nose job, the anesthesiologist is definitely much more personal. They introduce themselves and talk to you the night before. I was given an anti-nausea pill to take the morning of surgery with a small sip of water which helps a lot. Despite all the surgery experience I have I get extreme anxiety w anesthesia and Americans are more soothing and understanding...they converse with you and try to get you to relax right before, had me count down from 10 to 1 while they were putting me to sleep and I don't remember anything after I said "7".

In Korea they have a more "no-nonsense" approach to anesthesia, more robotic with surgery. It's a scarier experience for me personally because you walk into a room with 4- 5 nurses, they start to strap your arms and legs down to a cold metal table. It felt like I was about to get electroshock therapy or something! Luckily at View the consultant was comforting me and saying don't worry and staying with me until I fell asleep....

After surgery I was so groggy, nauseous, and vomited. I remember I was trying to walk out with 2 nurses helping me and I fell down because my legs felt like jello. They needed to give me anti-nausea medicine. It feels like it just hits you MUCH harder than American surgery.

Again, I may just be sensitive. I have heard Koreans don't like to give as strong painkillers as the US to prevent addictions (their prescription painkiller is like over the counter Tylenol).

In Korea there’s no Anesthesiologist that comes up to you and reviews your whole history and introduces themselves. They just bring you into the operating room on a dirty table and old medical supplies and a nurse starts your iv and then you fall asleep

I followed all of your posts and will avoid Regen 100% for any future surgeries I have in mind, but this statement of you is not fair for other clinics in Korea. At the clinic I went to, I was asked about my history, prepped by the nurses, the anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself, and checked on me once after I got back to the recovery room (beside that the nurses checked several time during the night). The clinic also contacted my sister during and after my surgery to keep her updated. I understand that it was a horrible experience for you at Regen but it's not always like that everywhere else in Korea.

I start to have the question because I read about a patient sharing her anesthesia experience in Japan, where she could walk wobbly, with the nurse holding her, right after waking up from GA, versus, in another Asian country, she needed to be carried and unable to move at all right after the surgery.

As for my experience, in Korea they woke me up and assisted me to walk back to my recovery room right after GA. In my country (another Asian country), 5 years ago, I was carried back to the recovery room. Also in my country 2 months ago, I was able to walk back to my recovery room but after resting for a few hours after waking up.

Hi thanks I meant my experience in Korea at Regen sorry if it was a generalization

Which clinic did you go to?
I followed all of your posts and will avoid Regen 100% for any future surgeries I have in mind, but this statement of you is not fair for other clinics in Korea. At the clinic I went to, I was asked about my history, prepped by the nurses, the anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself, and checked on me once after I got back to the recovery room (beside that the nurses checked several time during the night). The clinic also contacted my sister during and after my surgery to keep her updated. I understand that it was a horrible experience for you at Regen but it's not always like that everywhere else in Korea.

As for my experience, in Korea they woke me up and assisted me to walk back to my recovery room right after GA. In my country (another Asian country), 5 years ago, I was carried back to the recovery room. Also in my country 2 months ago, I was able to walk back to my recovery room but after resting for a few hours after waking up.

Reactions: avocadokumquat
Hi thanks I meant my experience in Korea at Regen sorry if it was a generalization

Which clinic did you go to?
I went to EUdental. I actually considered Regen because I wanted to do zygoma and Dr. Oh seemed very famous for it. I scheduled my consultation with him but he was busy on the both days I was there. I also considered them for smas lifting for my mom after seeing a review of a girl's mom on here. But now they're just out of my list 100%.

Thank you, that was very informative. I started wondering if they use same anesthesia medication as US or Europe, because when I read about reviews done here, not much mentioned about the discomfort right after GA.

Reactions: sunnydayz19
I went to EUdental. I actually considered Regen because I wanted to do zygoma and Dr. Oh seemed very famous for it. I scheduled my consultation with him but he was busy on the both days I was there. I also considered them for smas lifting for my mom after seeing a review of a girl's mom on here. But now they're just out of my list 100%.
What did you have done at EU dental. It was on my short list for Genioplasty. Did you see Dr. Kim?