Need advice re: fake bag

ItsPurseonal

Jan 2, 2020
Note: I have already posted this on the Authenticate this Céline thread, and have not received an answer.

I purchased a medium classic bag on eBay, and have had it authenticated by both RealAuthentication and ******************. However, I still believe the bag to be counterfeit for three reasons:

1. I got it for a really great price for the condition, likely too good to be true ($1719 USD at eBay auction).
2. Another poster in the Authenticate this Celine thread said they purchased a superfake with the same serial number, which also came with a fake Barney's receipt. Link to original post in Authenticate this Céline thread
3. It is an old Céline, and was purchased in 2017 according to the receipt. However, the dustbag for the strap has the new Celine logo, which I don't think was in production until 2018? Can anyone confirm? I messaged the seller on eBay but she has been unresponsive.

So, what would you do with this bag? Keep it and move on? Try to return on eBay even though there is no "proof" it is counterfeit? Sell it? I don't want to pass along a potentially fake bag to someone else, but I really don't want to keep it because I don't think I'll ever be 100% convinced that it's authentic, even if two separate sources said it is. I'd rather just buy it new, even with the new logo, just for peace of mind.

Photos below if you are interested :smile: Thanks all in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1377 2.JPG
    IMG_1377 2.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 194
I have a tan box in the same color that's also made in 2017. The dustbag for my stap has the old logo as does everything else that came with the bag. Does your date stamp say SMP (it's hard to see)? If so, it's also from the same factory.

Have you tried getting an Entrupy certificate for the bag? Apparently they are 99% accurate as they look at the bag on a microscopic level. And they come with a financial guarantee if they are incorrect. So if they tell you its fake then you can get a refund via Ebay, and if they tell you its real you can rest assured and keep the bag. Or if you do decide to sell it, sell it with the certificate and if one day down the track the buyer finds its incorrect they can get their money back from Entrupy so your conscience can be clear.

According to Yoogi's Closet, Celine unveiled new logo September 2018.

I think Celine Classics are notoriously difficult to authenticate, so I would recommend Entrupy.

Last edited:
Reactions: eunaddict
Also I just did some digging and the Celine code is a date stamp, not a serial code. I think it's possible for 2 to have the same date stamp if they were made in the same factory and same time by same artisan? (Someone expert can correct me if wrong). So for example both these 2 bags on Fashionphile as the same date stamp as yours (U.MP.0147 right)

I'm thinking the "U" might be the artisan and "MP" the factory, mine says S.MP instead of U.MP.

Explanation of the date stamp: https://www.therevury.com/blogs/news/how-to-authenticate-celine-bags

So yours might be authentic after all?

I've seen fake receipts before and usually they are like on a piece of paper from the printer, they usually aren't made so well that you can see its something printed from a receipt dispenser (lol I don't know what its called) where its semi transparent and you can see there's something printed on the back.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
Also I just did some digging and the Celine code is a date stamp, not a serial code. I think it's possible for 2 to have the same date stamp if they were made in the same factory and same time by same artisan? (Someone expert can correct me if wrong). So for example both these 2 bags on Fashionphile as the same date stamp as yours (U.MP.0147 right)

I'm thinking the "U" might be the artisan and "MP" the factory, mine says S.MP instead of U.MP.

Explanation of the date stamp: https://www.therevury.com/blogs/news/how-to-authenticate-celine-bags

So yours might be authentic after all?

I've seen fake receipts before and usually they are like on a piece of paper from the printer, they usually aren't made so well that you can see its something printed from a receipt dispenser (lol I don't know what its called) where its semi transparent and you can see there's something printed on the back.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate the time you took to investigate for me.

I actually ended up getting in contact with another TPFer who purchased the bag with the same date code (duh, not serial number, thanks!) and fake receipt from eBay. Turns out we both purchased from the same seller. She sent the bag to Fashionphile who deemed it inauthentic. I’m so disappointed this seller was able to continue selling on eBay and even more frightened that two separate reputable authentication services deemed it authentic! I’ve reported the seller (riba2394) to eBay and will be returning the bag. I really wanted an old Céline classic bag but I am just too afraid of fakes. I think I’ll just buy a new one :/

What would I do without the wonderful people of TPF? :smile:

Hi are you comfortable sharing who the second authenticator (it’s not showing) was? You can pm if you want. I heard that celine is very hard to Authenticate via photos so I wouldn’t necessarily hold it against them but just wanna know so I won’t use them for Celine in the future.

I heard RA has made a lot of mistakes according to their reviews.

Hi are you comfortable sharing who the second authenticator (it’s not showing) was? You can pm if you want. I heard that celine is very hard to Authenticate via photos so I wouldn’t necessarily hold it against them but just wanna know so I won’t use them for Celine in the future.

I heard RA has made a lot of mistakes according to their reviews.

yes it was authenticate. First

Also a reputable company. They were also rude to me when I asked for a refund since they weren’t able to authenticate within 24 hours, which I paid extra for. I won’t be working with them again. As for real authentication, it seems like they usually err on the side of saying a bag is fake - most negative reviewers I have read say that they had an authentic bag reviewed that was deemed fake. So I’m surprised that they didn’t get it right this time.

Reactions: spiderlily89
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate the time you took to investigate for me.

I actually ended up getting in contact with another TPFer who purchased the bag with the same date code (duh, not serial number, thanks!) and fake receipt from eBay. Turns out we both purchased from the same seller. She sent the bag to Fashionphile who deemed it inauthentic. I’m so disappointed this seller was able to continue selling on eBay and even more frightened that two separate reputable authentication services deemed it authentic! I’ve reported the seller (riba2394) to eBay and will be returning the bag. I really wanted an old Céline classic bag but I am just too afraid of fakes. I think I’ll just buy a new one :/

What would I do without the wonderful people of TPF? :smile:
Hey if it’s any consolation I got a LV Alma Superfake like 4 years ago on Tradesy! I got it authenticated as it didn’t “feel” right... even after Tradesy refunded me that seller remained on Tradesy. Frankly I’m scared to buy designer online. I prefer to buy in the stores... unfortunately super fakes are scarily common!!!

Reactions: ItsPurseonal
Hey if it’s any consolation I got a LV Alma Superfake like 4 years ago on Tradesy! I got it authenticated as it didn’t “feel” right... even after Tradesy refunded me that seller remained on Tradesy. Frankly I’m scared to buy designer online. I prefer to buy in the stores... unfortunately super fakes are scarily common!!!

sometimes you just know it doesn’t feel right but it’s hard to pinpoint what it is. Glad you got your money back!

Now I am nervous!
I got mine from HGbagsonline and also posted on "Authenticate This Celine Thread" to be deemed to be good. I also learned Entrupy does not authenticate Celine? So now I wonder how do I know if my Celine is real or superfake? Anyone with experience buying from ****** and can confirm it is authenticate?

Note: I have already posted this on the Authenticate this Céline thread, and have not received an answer.

I purchased a medium classic bag on eBay, and have had it authenticated by both RealAuthentication and ******************. However, I still believe the bag to be counterfeit for three reasons:

1. I got it for a really great price for the condition, likely too good to be true ($1719 USD at eBay auction).
2. Another poster in the Authenticate this Celine thread said they purchased a superfake with the same serial number, which also came with a fake Barney's receipt. Link to original post in Authenticate this Céline thread
3. It is an old Céline, and was purchased in 2017 according to the receipt. However, the dustbag for the strap has the new Celine logo, which I don't think was in production until 2018? Can anyone confirm? I messaged the seller on eBay but she has been unresponsive.

So, what would you do with this bag? Keep it and move on? Try to return on eBay even though there is no "proof" it is counterfeit? Sell it? I don't want to pass along a potentially fake bag to someone else, but I really don't want to keep it because I don't think I'll ever be 100% convinced that it's authentic, even if two separate sources said it is. I'd rather just buy it new, even with the new logo, just for peace of mind.

Photos below if you are interested :smile: Thanks all in advance for your advice!
the logo font looks off, can you add a pic of the zipper head front? it's an awkward angle to take pic but not impossible, especially if you have another person to hold it up. I wouldn't trust receipts as far as I can throw them since they can always be faked/doctored but physical markers don't change on their own.

Reactions: ItsPurseonal
the logo font looks off, can you add a pic of the zipper head front? it's an awkward angle to take pic but not impossible, especially if you have another person to hold it up. I wouldn't trust receipts as far as I can throw them since they can always be faked/doctored but physical markers don't change on their own.

There's a photo of the zipper head front in my original post. I ended up returning it to the Ebay seller but totally agree receipts hardly mean a thing!

Now I am nervous!
I got mine from HGbagsonline and also posted on "Authenticate This Celine Thread" to be deemed to be good. I also learned Entrupy does not authenticate Celine? So now I wonder how do I know if my Celine is real or superfake? Anyone with experience buying from ****** and can confirm it is authenticate?

Entrupy does authenticate celine. Just that some of the newer bags they may not have enough data to confirm. They will authenticate the box bag though.

Reactions: donutella.

Hi there,

Reading about the fake Barney's receipt just gave me a little anxiety as I purchased the Triomphe bag on eBay. It came with a store receipt and the tags has the old Celine logo on it?!
Does anyone know if this is "normal"? :/
Would appreciate your opinion on here...THX!!!

Hi there,

Reading about the fake Barney's receipt just gave me a little anxiety as I purchased the Triomphe bag on eBay. It came with a store receipt and the tags has the old Celine logo on it?!
Does anyone know if this is "normal"? :/
Would appreciate your opinion on here...THX!!!

Is the receipt dated before 2018? Also, did you get it authenticated when you received it? Generally I would be less concerned about fakes for the “less popular” bag styles (since the classic is one of their most popular, especially in camel, I would guess that a lot of fakes are out there).

Reactions: iam.mimi