Need advice on selling high end handbag first time

Iserd

Jun 20, 2020
Hi, first time poster here. I bought a really rare Gucci Marmont bag for a great deal at Nordstrom rack and I am looking to resell it. The bag has the original care card and Controllato cArd along with a Nordstrom rack tag attached not the original Gucci tag but it’s still has the price on it and what not. Didn’t come with a dustbag or box as nordstrom rack doesnt do that with most of their Gucci items. I have a 100% feedback rating on eBay but and I have never sold on Poshmark even though I do have an account. What’s my best selling option? Do I have to get the item authenticated even though it still has the tag and I have the receipt? Also what is best practice to not get scammed by a buyer? Any advice at all would be appreciated thank you

I have several comments for you to consider.

1. I'm inferring that by saying you're "selling high end handbag first time," you mean you haven't either sold before or haven't sold highly faked luxury items.
2. You say you have 100% feedback on ebay. Is that as a buyer or as a seller?
3. Gucci Marmont is one of the most highly faked items.
4. New and/or inexperienced sellers are scammer magnets
5. Absence or existence of tags and/or receipts don't prove anything for several reasons
  • authentic items may have lost them
  • genuine props may be used to "prove" authenticity of a fake
  • tags, receipts, dust bags, etc. are also faked
If you aren't experienced, for an item such as you're describing, I'd recommend consigning it.

I have several comments for you to consider.

1. I'm inferring that by saying you're "selling high end handbag first time," you mean you haven't either sold before or haven't sold highly faked luxury items.
2. You say you have 100% feedback on ebay. Is that as a buyer or as a seller?
3. Gucci Marmont is one of the most highly faked items.
4. New and/or inexperienced sellers are scammer magnets
5. Absence or existence of tags and/or receipts don't prove anything for several reasons
  • authentic items may have lost them
  • genuine props may be used to "prove" authenticity of a fake
  • tags, receipts, dust bags, etc. are also faked
If you aren't experienced, for an item such as you're describing, I'd recommend consigning it.

I personally bought this bag from Nordstrom rack. It’s not a fake. I have experience selling Tory Burch Michael Kors etc. but not necessarily Gucci. They were having a 40% off sale At Nordstrom rack so I bought the bag and now I would like to sell it. It still has the tags on the bag from Nordstrom rack as in it’s a Nordstrom rack tag. I also have the reciept. It’s a fairly rare Marmont bag. So I’m just trying to figure out what’s the safest way to sell it without getting scammed as a seller.

Reactions: Sferics
I personally bought this bag from Nordstrom rack. It’s not a fake. I have experience selling Tory Burch Michael Kors etc. but not necessarily Gucci. They were having a 40% off sale At Nordstrom rack so I bought the bag and now I would like to sell it. It still has the tags on the bag from Nordstrom rack as in it’s a Nordstrom rack tag. I also have the reciept. It’s a fairly rare Marmont bag. So I’m just trying to figure out what’s the safest way to sell it without getting scammed as a seller.

My suggestion to you is for a small price have the Gucci bag authenticated & mention that in your listing.
(should you go the eBay selling route) in spite of the original tags being on the bag, JMO
There will be do doubt as to authenticity & for a small price a potential buyer will know the item is authentic.
Unfortunately, receipts, boxes, dustbags are no guarantee of authenticity.
Photograph as many images as you can
Scammers are bountiful &the protection that sellers once had is challenging. You will have to take your chances
sorry to say
Tradesy supposedly has their own in house authenticator(s) you may want to explore that but the fees are high
Have you contacted Fashionphile, Ann's Fabulous Finds or some other higher end design resale shops since you
mention this is a fairly rare Marmont bag?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sferics
I haven’t tried any of those. Like I said sort of new at this. I appreciate all of your suggestions. How do those sites work, do they buy it outright or do they consign?

I haven’t tried any of those. Like I said sort of new at this. I appreciate all of your suggestions. How do those sites work, do they buy it outright or do they consign?

My suggestion to you is for a small price have the Gucci bag authenticated & mention that in your listing.
(should you go the eBay selling route) in spite of the original tags being on the bag, JMO
There will be do doubt as to authenticity & for a small price a potential buyer will know the item is authentic.
Unfortunately, receipts, boxes, dustbags are no guarantee of authenticity.
Scammers are bountiful &the protection that sellers once had is challenging. You will have to take your chances
sorry to say
Tradesy supposedly has their own in house authenticator(s) you may want to explore that but the fees are high
Have you contacted Fashionphile, Ann's Fabulous Finds or some other higher end design resale shops since you
mention this is a fairly rare Marmont bag?

Ann's FF as well as FP do a buy out (which is usually a lower price) & they consign...call for more specific details
You can also contact The Real Real to see if there is any interest
Just don't be discouraged as with risk there can be reward..

I wasn't implying that the bag isn't authentic.

What I was saying was that a new seller or a seller without a lot of experience with a high fraud item will attract scammers. And if you read these boards and the ebay boards and other online discussion boards, you can see how "good" they are at fooling sellers.

Even an authentication document won't protect you in the following cases:

• Buyer sends genuine "looking" payment notice from Paypal and you ship item without having actually received payment
  • Buyer states problem with their Paypal account and wants to pay you directly, either through a phony PP or with a bogus money order. Again, you will never see the payment but will have sent the bag.
  • Buyer "accidentally" overpays with a money order/bank check and requests reimbursement for the overage in gift cards which you can send with the Gucci bag, "letting" you retain $200 (or whatever) for the inconvenience. Turns out the bank check is phony, something you learn after sending the bag to the buyer. Now you're out the bag, the money and the gift cards and the "buyer" has everything!
  • Buyer purchases item, pays and you ship. Buyer files SNAD claiming fake, you lose dispute, are forced to take the return and she returns a fake and gets a refund.
These are some possible scenarios you should be aware of.

Things can go very smoothly and most buyers are honest but the dishonest ones look for high fraud items from inexperienced sellers.

I have sold quite a few designer handbags ( Chanel, Gucci, Goyard, LV) on eBay and tradesy. I Prefer selling on ebay because compared to tradesy and poshmark, ebay’s seller fees are reasonable. eBay takes about 10% and PayPal about 3%. I haven’t had any luck selling any handbags recently due to the pandemic, but if you’re patient and don’t need the money now...youll probably get more money selling on eBay than through these other sites. Just take good pics and do your research to see how much that bag has sold for.
i would not recommend fashionphile. I’ve bought bags from them, but every time I’ve requested a quote for selling , they have low balled me. I understand that they need to make a profit but I’d rather go through the trouble of selling myself and getting More $$$ from the transaction. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle and need to sell ASAP, then fashionphile will probably give you more than the real real. At least that has been my experience.

good luck with selling!

It's a bit more risk to sell on Ebay and depending on the value of the bag, you may get a higher price for it via a reputable consignment store which people trust and follow.

Go to Ebay and check the "sold" listings and see if you can find a similar Gucci Marmont and see how much it sold for (ignore the listings for obviously fake bags which sell for minimal). Then have a look at consignment stores such as Fashionphile or Yoogi and see how much they're selling for. You may be better off selling to the consignment store even if they take their cut. Both will give you a quote just by sending them photos so you can see if you're happy with the quote. It will be a lot less headache.

If you want to go ahead and sell on Ebay then I'd agree to get it authenticated, there's plenty of online services. Usually authentication via photos is pretty cheap and has a quick turn around. You will definitely get a higher price for it if people looking through Ebay can differentiate your listing from the gamut of fake bags on there.

List it for the price you're happy with and if someone sends you an offer (if you allow offers on your listing), check to see if they have good feedback or if they have zero feedback and have sent you a suspiciously high offer. Remember to not send the bag until you have concrete payment in your paypal/bank account (sometimes people will send you a "proof" they have sent money, but if it hasn't appeared on your end, don't send your bag). Film your boxing it up and get a photo of the postage label indicating the address its going to and the tracking number IN THE ONE PHOTO. Make sure you send it requiring a signature on delivery (so the postman doesn't just drop it on their doorstep and they can claim they never got it).

This should eliminate most issues but there can be still others depending on how savvy your buyer is. I don't want to scare you since I and many people have sold successfully on Ebay before with no issues. But there are definitely risks there as BeenBurned says.

Reactions: merrydish
So if I film myself shipping it pay for fedex shipping because you can track fedex shippings every move and require a signature, I should be okay?because the purse still has the tag attached, I feel like they would have trouble trying to send me back one without a tag or claiming that it’s not as described when I have a video of myself putting it in the box. Sorry I’m just trying to figure out the best way not to get screwed because it’s a fairly rare marmont bag and I could definitely make more money on eBay selling it I’m just so nervous that I’m going to get scammed.
It's a bit more risk to sell on Ebay and depending on the value of the bag, you may get a higher price for it via a reputable consignment store which people trust and follow.

Go to Ebay and check the "sold" listings and see if you can find a similar Gucci Marmont and see how much it sold for (ignore the listings for obviously fake bags which sell for minimal). Then have a look at consignment stores such as Fashionphile or Yoogi and see how much they're selling for. You may be better off selling to the consignment store even if they take their cut. Both will give you a quote just by sending them photos so you can see if you're happy with the quote. It will be a lot less headache.

If you want to go ahead and sell on Ebay then I'd agree to get it authenticated, there's plenty of online services. Usually authentication via photos is pretty cheap and has a quick turn around. You will definitely get a higher price for it if people looking through Ebay can differentiate your listing from the gamut of fake bags on there.

List it for the price you're happy with and if someone sends you an offer (if you allow offers on your listing), check to see if they have good feedback or if they have zero feedback and have sent you a suspiciously high offer. Remember to not send the bag until you have concrete payment in your paypal/bank account (sometimes people will send you a "proof" they have sent money, but if it hasn't appeared on your end, don't send your bag). Film your boxing it up and get a photo of the postage label indicating the address its going to and the tracking number IN THE ONE PHOTO. Make sure you send it requiring a signature on delivery (so the postman doesn't just drop it on their doorstep and they can claim they never got it).

This should eliminate most issues but there can be still others depending on how savvy your buyer is. I don't want to scare you since I and many people have sold successfully on Ebay before with no issues. But there are definitely risks there as BeenBurned says.

So if I film myself shipping it pay for fedex shipping because you can track fedex shippings every move and require a signature, I should be okay?because the purse still has the tag attached, I feel like they would have trouble trying to send me back one without a tag or claiming that it’s not as described when I have a video of myself putting it in the box. Sorry I’m just trying to figure out the best way not to get screwed because it’s a fairly rare marmont bag and I could definitely make more money on eBay selling it I’m just so nervous that I’m going to get scammed.

Yes should... *should* being the word here... remember to transact within ebay and paypal and not accept an out of eBay transaction even if they offer you a good price.