15-20 days to put an item in the mail. Is this the new normal?

I bought a new Tory Burch bag on eBay and was advised by the seller after purchase that it would take between 15 and 20 days to put the item into the mail as eBay had recommended extending the handling time. I'm in Canada and the seller lives only 40 miles away. Am I right to find this odd? Also, I think there used to be a rule about items being received within 30 days. Does this not apply in our current situation? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

I bought a new Tory Burch bag on eBay and was advised by the seller after purchase that it would take between 15 and 20 days to put the item into the mail as eBay had recommended extending the handling time. I'm in Canada and the seller lives only 40 miles away. Am I right to find this odd? Also, I think there used to be a rule about items being received within 30 days. Does this not apply in our current situation? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
I don’t know anything about extended handling time but I do know that once the bag hits customs you’re in for a wait. Count on at least a week at customs. I had one leave NZ two weeks ago and it still hasn’t been handed over to Canada Post. My last two or three purchases from the US took a week to ten days at customs. I would question the seller holding onto it as it’ll just add to the delay time.
ETA: that’s If she ships USPS. Private shippers seem to get their stuff through faster. DHL from Japan took about five days. UPS from the US is slower than usual but not as slow as USPS and Canada Post.

I don’t know anything about extended handling time but I do know that once the bag hits customs you’re in for a wait. Count on at least a week at customs. I had one leave NZ two weeks ago and it still hasn’t been handed over to Canada Post. My last two or three purchases from the US took a week to ten days at customs. I would question the seller holding onto it as it’ll just add to the delay time.
ETA: that’s If she ships USPS. Private shippers seem to get their stuff through faster. DHL from Japan took about five days. UPS from the US is slower than usual but not as slow as USPS and Canada Post.

Thank you for your response. I may not have been clear. I am in Canada and the item is also in Canada - 40 miles from me, so happily no customs.
Oh then that’s really weird, why would eBay suggest that? Canada Post is really backed up but why delay getting it in the mail? If it was me I’d check with eBay to see if they’re recommending that and I’d ask the seller to ship regardless.

Better to check on the seller make sure was not a dropship, worse - a drop ship of a counterfeit

I would question the seller holding onto it as it’ll just add to the delay time.

This was my thought. Post office shipping delays are understandable, but a seller needing 15-20 days after a purchase just to physically mail an item that is fairly local and disclosing it after you purchased seems excessive, even at the moment; however, once a seller mailed an item to me 6 weeks after I purchased it, but they had a valid reason, apologized, gave me the option to cancel the transaction (I didn't), communicated regularly and eventually mail the item as they promised.

I would question the seller holding onto it as it’ll just add to the delay time.

This was my thought. 15-20 days after a purchase just mail an item that is fairly local to you does seems excessive, especially if they disclosed the delay after you purchased it; however, there are numerous circumstances that could prevent a seller from mailing an item right away.
Once a seller mailed an item 6 weeks after I purchased it, but they had a valid reason, apologized, gave me the option to cancel the transaction (I didn't), communicated regularly and eventually mail the item as they promised.
I'm questioning why eBay would advise sellers to do this though.

I think the seller must be confused and they advised sellers to extend the handling time on their listings (to let people know it might take longer during these times), not to actually hold on to the package longer. Here's what I found on their UK site for seller support:
1592168334393.png

Reactions: BeenBurned
I think the seller must be confused and they advised sellers to extend the handling time on their listings (to let people know it might take longer during these times), not to actually hold on to the package longer. Here's what I found on their UK site for seller support:
View attachment 4757467
That would make sense. @SusanMargaret you may want to discuss that with the seller.

That’s strange. I recently purchased some vegetable seeds and the seller took 15 days after I paid to ship. They said due to social distancing etc it took longer to process orders. After 10 days of waiting and two emails I requested a refund and instead of getting a refund they finally shipped my seeds. I questioned whether the seller was being honest, but their explanation made more sense than the one your seller gave you.

I think the seller must be confused and they advised sellers to extend the handling time on their listings (to let people know it might take longer during these times), not to actually hold on to the package longer.
This! ^^^^^

What is the handling time shown in the listing? If the seller isn't shipping within the handling time, she gets a defect.

This is the ebay policy:

Ebay policy states a seller MUST ship within 30 days of recieving a cleared payment. BUT sellers will recieve seller defects on their record if they do not ship within the handling time shown in the listing shipping details.

This! ^^^^^

What is the handling time shown in the listing? If the seller isn't shipping within the handling time, she gets a defect.

This is the ebay policy:

Ebay policy states a seller MUST ship within 30 days of recieving a cleared payment. BUT sellers will recieve seller defects on their record if they do not ship within the handling time shown in the listing shipping details.

That's very helpful. I checked and the listing states: "Will usually ship within 15 business days of receiving cleared payment." Differs from the email I received from the seller.