I have a messed up thumb nail...

dawnsfinallywed

"ks authenticator"
O.G.
Feb 5, 2011
Hi. The nail bed on my thumb is completely destroyed from acrylics and then an accident that made it worse. 2 questions...
1. Do you think it will ever grow back correctly...
2. Paint it or not???

Opinions? Thoughts?

Attachments

• crazy thumb.jpg
    crazy thumb.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 49
Hi. The nail bed on my thumb is completely destroyed from acrylics and then an accident that made it worse. 2 questions...
1. Do you think it will ever grow back correctly...
2. Paint it or not???

Opinions? Thoughts?

The same thing happened to my left hand pointer finger. It got caught when closing a School door! :doh:

Leave it alone & it will eventually grow back, try NOT to damage the cuticle area & leave that alone too. It will grow out depending on how long your nails take to grow. Some people have nails that grow out quickly, but I noticed my damage finger nail grew out way slower. I lost the nail twice in 1 year due to acrylics. NEVER EVER let them (manicurist or do it yourself) soak off the acrylic as that does weaken the nail bed & knocking it by accident causes further damage to the nail bed. I know it's hard, but try to be patient with it. As I stated I lost mine twice in a year (due to soaking off acrylic & it's the only nail where I have a fake nail put on due to the damage & it grows out as a hangnail), so I had no nail on it for over a year.

The same thing happened to my left hand pointer finger. It got caught when closing a School door! :doh:

Leave it alone & it will eventually grow back, try NOT to damage the cuticle area & leave that alone too. It will grow out depending on how long your nails take to grow. Some people have nails that grow out quickly, but I noticed my damage finger nail grew out way slower. I lost the nail twice in 1 year due to acrylics. NEVER EVER let them (manicurist or do it yourself) soak off the acrylic as that does weaken the nail bed & knocking it by accident causes further damage to the nail bed. I know it's hard, but try to be patient with it. As I stated I lost mine twice in a year (due to soaking off acrylic & it's the only nail where I have a fake nail put on due to the damage), so I had no nail on it for over a year.

Yeah, the edges seem to be growing inward, and that drives me insane, so I end up cutting them off...

Yeah, the edges seem to be growing inward, and that drives me insane, so I end up cutting them off...
Put a little bit of cotton under each side, it will raise it enough so it does't grow into the skin. I do it when I have a an ingrown toenail.

When I was in 2nd grade I put my fingers in the door jam and someone closed the door on my hand. My middle fingernail came off and my ring finger turned totally black and blue. But I was ok and I got outta school for a couple of weeks. The nail that turned black and blue totally grew back normally. The one I lost grew back, but 1/3 of it came in at a slight angle. Looking at yours it looks like the bulk of the damage is on the nail part. The bed looks ok, and that's the important part. Don't pick at it and just let it heal, no polish but maybe a strengthen at the base to get it healthy again. I bite my nails til I was 21 and have had relapses with stress. It's surprising how resilient they are. Good luck and keep us informed.

I looked at your pic again. Our nails are made up pf many layers of keratin. The really white portions appear to be quick, no nail at all. The acrylics have removed all the layers of nail. Your cuticle is red and inflamed. That's where the new nail is growing and you have to baby it. I forgot, but 3 weeks ago i went to pick my dog up and he bite me. One in the middle of the nail all the way through to the other side. One tooth went through the nail bed. Believe it or not, the hole in the middle started healing over. I'm just letting it be. I will take a pic tomorrow, too much news going on tonight. We can grow our thumbs out together.

• Haha
Reactions: dawnsfinallywed
Here’s my thumb, 3 weeks ago my dog bite me and his teeth pierced my nail ( my fault , he is sick and in pain ) All I have done is put antibiotic ointment on it and nail formed over the hole, it’s kind of amazing. I’m just leaving it alone and seeing what happens.

Reactions: dawnsfinallywed
Here’s my thumb, 3 weeks ago my dog bite me and his teeth pierced my nail ( my fault , he is sick and in pain ) All I have done is put antibiotic ointment on it and nail formed over the hole, it’s kind of amazing. I’m just leaving it alone and seeing what happens.

I bet that was painful. I hope it grows back!

I bet that was painful. I hope it grows back!
Are your other nails growing out? Are they in good condition? I have a great nail hardener for you, it's a 2 part system which binds and penetrates the naill. After 2nd use I could feel a difference. I've been using it for 3 yrs. I slacked off using it, but am back on top of things again.

It hurt like hell! It's almost half grown out. I can't believe the hole from the tooth grew over with nail. I have a scab at the cuticle I would love to pick off, but I am being good. How dod your other nails react to having the acrylics taken off?
I don't use acrylics, ever. I use Impress press-on nails. I LOVE them.
I am totally allergic to any type of gel/acrylic. I can't even use gel polish.

I would be leaving that nail alone. Give it a break and let it heal and grow back. Do NOT put polish or any kind of products on it unless they are natural. You can always use coconut oil or nail oils. The majority of acrylic and or gel users do not have destroyed nails from the product its self. It is all about the removal of the product. They SHOULD be soaked off and removed with a nail tool. Pulling them off or biting them off will only damage the nail further. I have also seen people remove them with a fake nail but please do not do that if you want your nail to heal. There are also good nail products you can order(or have your nail tech order) online or in stores for certain nail types. Footlogix is a good company and has products for many nail types!I hope this helps :smile:
-Megan
Nail Technician

What is it?
The stuff is called IBX, but reading you are allergic to gels might be a problem. First you put clear coat on and dry with a hairdryer on low. Second step you put the bonder on and that cures with the gel lamp. Your nails are natural matte when you finish both coats. It's the best stuff I have ever used for hardening one's nails. The bonder is what glues all of the nail layers together and provides strength. It's expensive but worth it, plus it lasts forever.