How reliable are American forums like this one for plastic surgery?

egghead

May 11, 2020
I’ve been doing a lot of research on PS in Korea and I’m asking my mom for advice since she’s a native. She’s really active on a lot of Korean forums and she tells me that even locals have a lot of complications with PS there. This makes me wary of the legitimacy of American forums like this one which claim to have amazing results.

I’m also 20 and she thinks I should wait til I’m older but I disagree and I have the funds for my rhino and breast augmentation. I want her to come with me to Korea since I don’t speak the language and she does not like the idea at all. Could I get some of your guys’ input on this? Especially the legitimacy of using American forums like this one.

Definitely biased. Lots of promoters here, too. It's helpful but have to take the information with a grain of salt.

Noticed some negative reviews being taken down; not sure what happened to those?? If anyone knows, DM me lol...

Edit: It would be helpful if there were a thread on people who regret having had surgery.

Last edited:
I read on both Korean forums and here. Tbh the korean forums I've been on have not been helpful for the most part, the laws in korea are very strict and so many people don't post the name of the doctor they had a negative experience with. In my experience (I'm korean but my language skills are very basic) a lot of koreans view PS very lightly whereas westerners/americans do a lot more research and are more careful about it. Maybe someone can recommend good korean forums with honest reviews?

I look at korean platforms to see which clinics are popular. Then I look at english-speaking platforms to see what the risks are of the surgery, what to be careful about etc. But I've heard there are a lot of promoters on here too so that makes it hard to believe some reviews that are overwhelmingly possible.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on PS in Korea and I’m asking my mom for advice since she’s a native. She’s really active on a lot of Korean forums and she tells me that even locals have a lot of complications with PS there. This makes me wary of the legitimacy of American forums like this one which claim to have amazing results.

I’m also 20 and she thinks I should wait til I’m older but I disagree and I have the funds for my rhino and breast augmentation. I want her to come with me to Korea since I don’t speak the language and she does not like the idea at all. Could I get some of your guys’ input on this? Especially the legitimacy of using American forums like this one.
I would honestly join a bunch of Kakao groups and that’s where I got to talk to real people who share real results (good and bad)! Let me know if you want to join them and I can add you!

I read on both Korean forums and here. Tbh the korean forums I've been on have not been helpful for the most part, the laws in korea are very strict and so many people don't post the name of the doctor they had a negative experience with. In my experience (I'm korean but my language skills are very basic) a lot of koreans view PS very lightly whereas westerners/americans do a lot more research and are more careful about it. Maybe someone can recommend good korean forums with honest reviews?

I look at korean platforms to see which clinics are popular. Then I look at english-speaking platforms to see what the risks are of the surgery, what to be careful about etc. But I've heard there are a lot of promoters on here too so that makes it hard to believe some reviews that are overwhelmingly possible.
That's really interesting.... the difference between English v. Korean forums.
I would honestly join a bunch of Kakao groups and that’s where I got to talk to real people who share real results (good and bad)! Let me know if you want to join them and I can add you!
I might have to join them. What are the groups like? For instance, are they for specific clinics or like general PS?

That's really interesting.... the difference between English v. Korean forums.
I might have to join them. What are the groups like? For instance, are they for specific clinics or like general PS?
The groups have a bunch of people 150-300 people. I’m in 1 general group chat and 2 specific to the clinics but we all talk about all kind of PS doesn’t matter the title. There isn’t really a specific clinic we have to talk about making it easier for everyone to share whatever they got.

Reactions: eanez2607
The groups have a bunch of people 150-300 people. I’m in 1 general group chat and 2 specific to the clinics but we all talk about all kind of PS doesn’t matter the title. There isn’t really a specific clinic we have to talk about making it easier for everyone to share whatever they got.
Hi! Do you mind PMing me the Kakao groups? I think this would be really helpful to my research. Thanks :smile:

Reactions: Fabulousrabbits

May I ask why you want to go to Korea for your procedures? For any procedure, always do Extensive research and make sure the surgeon has no faults against him or her.
One more thing, you would be relying on your mother to translate. You are the patient and need to be able to communicate directly with the surgeon so try to find someone who is fluent in Korean and English. Best of luck to you!

Hi you should check out real self for more reviews but also the Korean doctors are fake on there too and offer to write the review for the patient on real self
Where in America are you?
I think it is safer to stay in America for better follow up
as any surgeon you choose make sure you are doing a lot of research and seeing real before and after photos
Dr oh’s photos from Regen are photoshopped and all his Instagram patients use a filter on themselves so nothing is real
Also all the Instagram sites for banogabi and Id are all fake looking and photoshopped and have sponsored girls
My story is real and I got botched and I would never ever go to South Korea again for plastic surgery and it was the worst Mistake of my life
You can post your photo here and we can provide advice most of the time the girls look perfectly fine but we are our own worst critic and feel things we can improve but bad outcomes do happen and I never imagined it would be me but here I am
Depressed suffering and he caused me a severe medical condition now, severe obstructive sleep apnea and I need a cpap sleeping machine at night now and further revision surgery
Be very careful !

Please note that a lot of people who have issues in Korea went to clinics or doctors that were known to be problematic (even had deaths) or want to do too much unnecessary work. Someone literally asked if you could go to consultations AND HAVE SURGERY while in quarantine.

You have to take everything with a grain of salt. You see so many threads started here by obvious shills and still people believe they are honest because they provide pictures.

You need to do your own research before forking money over and trusting someone with your life. Real Self has reviews from doctors all over the world and they have people on the site to insure there aren't any shills. Between Purseblog, RealSelf and Kakao groups you should be able to get the information you need to find the right doctor.

Reactions: sempervivum