Normal wear and tear?

LaDolceLaria

May 10, 2018
I've had this Le Pliage expandable tote for less than a year and use it for air and long weekend travel only, so it's been used about six times. I don't abuse it and use my strap a lot/don't even use the handles often...so, I was pretty shocked to see this during my recent trip. I am new to Longchamp (chose this bag over my usual Louis Vuitton preference). Since the boutique is closed due to COVID-19, any advice from you all would be appreciated. These pics show both handles.

Attachments

• 0607200809.jpg
    0607200809.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 0607200809a.jpg
    0607200809a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 205
Do you wear an eternity band ring? I have to be extra mindful because my wedding band can chew up handles if I'm not careful. That said, my four Le Pliages are many, many years old (from 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2015) and none of them look even a fraction as bad as that. I would email customer service and see what they have to say. Perhaps the boutique or store from which you purchased it will accept it as a return or exchange.

Do you wear an eternity band ring? I have to be extra mindful because my wedding band can chew up handles if I'm not careful. That said, my four Le Pliages are many, many years old (from 2004, 2009, 2010, and 2015) and none of them look even a fraction as bad as that. I would email customer service and see what they have to say. Perhaps the boutique or store from which you purchased it will accept it as a return or exchange.
Thanks. I don't wear a ring that would cause this - especially since I use the strap the most. I will contact online first as the boutique is closed. Very disappointing - especially since I questioned the sales associate if they are all MIC..was concerned about quality. Like I wrote, I'm new to the brand ..

Last edited:
I've had this Le Pliage expandable tote for less than a year and use it for air and long weekend travel only, so it's been used about six times. I don't abuse it and use my strap a lot/don't even use the handles often...so, I was pretty shocked to see this during my recent trip. I am new to Longchamp (chose this bag over my usual Louis Vuitton preference). Since the boutique is closed due to COVID-19, any advice from you all would be appreciated. These pics show both handles.
that looks like it may have rubbed against something. I use the L and XL duffle bags and never had a problem with the handles

That's pretty significant wear after six uses. I have a 8-year old black Planetes tote that I've worn near daily along with being abused as a personal item on flights that doesn't have that kind of scratching on the handles.

Reactions: LaDolceLaria
that looks like it may have rubbed against something. I use the L and XL duffle bags and never had a problem with the handles
Agree with this. My Large Le Pliage (which I toss around as a daily work bag) doesn't have wear like this.

Do you have a puppy maybe? That's the only other thing I could think of to cause this kind of wear.

Maybe the leather needed conditioning when it was purchased so it was extra fragile?

Either way, I have not had the same experience with my Le Pliage handles. Let us know what happens! I wonder if they'll cover something like this in their warranty.

Thanks, all.

I don't have a puppy! I store this folded back up in a closet with nothing touching it. I just can't imagine what caused this. I not only didn't use it often, but when I did, it is not like I threw it around. The only thing it would have rubbed against is my own hands holding it when boarding plane or handling on plane, or against my side when slung crossbody (my preferred method).

Either way, I would never expect leather to chip and peel like this! I contacted customer service and they are putting me in touch with repair svcs to assess. I will keep you all posted.

Update: I heard back from repairs via customer service. They are offering complimentary replacement of the handles. So, I'm shipping it off today. No idea how long this takes, buy have a feeling it won't be ready for my next trip in August. But not complaining, as I'm happy they will honor their promise to stand by their product. It is still a mystery to me how this happened. I usually keep my strap in the bag when folded up, but will remove before I ship (dont think they will full on replace the bag, as it says repair). Thoughts?

Update: I heard back from repairs via customer service. They are offering complimentary replacement of the handles. So, I'm shipping it off today. No idea how long this takes, buy have a feeling it won't be ready for my next trip in August. But not complaining, as I'm happy they will honor their promise to stand by their product. It is still a mystery to me how this happened. I usually keep my strap in the bag when folded up, but will remove before I ship (dont think they will full on replace the bag, as it says repair). Thoughts?
I was looking at reviews for Le pliage from Nordstrom, and one review showed a picture with a similar situation. I wonder if there was a defective batch. I have more than 10 Le Pliage that I abuse almost daily ( for years) , and the only wear and tear I have is corner wear.

I was looking at reviews for Le pliage from Nordstrom, and one review showed a picture with a similar situation. I wonder if there was a defective batch. I have more than 10 Le Pliage that I abuse almost daily ( for years) , and the only wear and tear I have is corner wear.
Thanks for letting me know that! I just couldn't figure out how that happened considering how little I've used it (and it was never abused). I will try to find those reviews. I just sent it off for free handle repair.

Reactions: Brendutch
Glad they are willing to repair. I have about 20 LP bags, some several years old, and no wear on the handles of either of them. Well, it will be like new when you get it back! :smile:

Hi all, well it's been a while - 3 months since I sent to repairs, but I just got my bag back with new handles. I was really excited, but then upon inspection right away I see a nick in the new leather. My husband scoffed and said it's tiny and put nail polish on it, but I'm upset about the principle here. It's right in the spot where it will be held or rubbed up against me worn crossbody, so I feel like it will just get larger. I took a picture and sent it to my repairs contact. I have no intention to send this back for another three months. If the boutique were open right now, I would just want a full exchange at this point. What do you guys think? Is my husband right - should I just apply something to it? I sent this pic to repairs and ask them as well. But really... next time I think I'm just going to save up longer for a Louis Keepall.20200917_141343.jpg