Quality/Defective issue with new Chloe Tess bag? Should I keep this?

Keep bag?

• Total voters

serenakay5

Apr 25, 2020
Hi! So major dilemma - I got this Chloe Tess bag small (yellow/white colour block shade) in the early days of Saks Fifth Avenue's Memorial Day sale. After tax/duties, it was a little over $1500 (a huge discount from the original price) and living in Canada, it took a while for it to ship over. Just got it and there are a few light scruffs and parts of the leather seem worn. It's a new bag so I think its just a quality issue? Not sure.
  • Scruff/bent mark at the bottom of the bag
  • Light indentations at the top flap/front of the bag
  • Left corner is rubbed out and dented
  • Bottom left brown paint line is misaligned compared to the other side
I called Saks and they said they couldn't do anything since the bag is now sold out. They offered me a full refund or compensation with 30% off my original purchase making my final total to be roughly $1200 after tax. That process according to the rep will still take 15 business days with their finance department so hoping that goes through. Looked up Chloe's site and they don't mention anything about repairs - even though Saks is an authorized retailer.

I've eyed the Tess bag forever in this shade and the sepia brown colour. Both are never on sale brand new.
What would you do? Would you keep the bag based on the steep discount?

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3670.JPG
    IMG_3670.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: Roie55
i borrowed one to see how it was - loved it, great size, fits a decent amount of essentials. great crossbody strap. Heaps of compliments too. Love the colour - havent seen it yet.

Reactions: serenakay5
If they sent it to you in banged up condition despite paying retail minus a promotion, that does not seems like the best deal. Do you have access to resale sites? Between Rebag and FP, I found a few Tess bags in other colors, and one in sepia.
https://www.fashionphile.com/shop?search=tess
https://www.fashionphile.com/chloe-calfskin-small-tess-saddle-bag-sepia-brown-512295

Frankly, I think it looks about average for a sale bag from a major department store. It's very common to receive bags with flaws from department stores because of the way the folks in fulfillment handle online orders from their store. Those bags are usually floor stock.

Reactions: lili45
If they sent it to you in banged up condition despite paying retail minus a promotion, that does not seems like the best deal. Do you have access to resale sites? Between Rebag and FP, I found a few Tess bags in other colors, and one in sepia.
https://www.fashionphile.com/shop?search=tess
https://www.fashionphile.com/chloe-calfskin-small-tess-saddle-bag-sepia-brown-512295

Frankly, I think it looks about average for a sale bag from a major department store. It's very common to receive bags with flaws from department stores because of the way the folks in fulfillment handle online orders from their store. Those bags are usually floor stock.
Thanks! I have access to resale sites in Canada but haven't seen any Tess resold. Fashionphile is based in the US so while I love the bags there, I'll have to pay the exchange cost + tax/duties. That sepia brown bag would be upwards of $2100+ for me.

Makes sense though! Wouldn't surprise me if it was a floor stock. Just wondering if the defects are forgivable/not obvious. Sucks that Chloe doesn't do repairs.

Hi! So major dilemma - I got this Chloe Tess bag small (yellow/white colour block shade) in the early days of Saks Fifth Avenue's Memorial Day sale. After tax/duties, it was a little over $1500 (a huge discount from the original price) and living in Canada, it took a while for it to ship over. Just got it and there are a few light scruffs and parts of the leather seem worn. It's a new bag so I think its just a quality issue? Not sure.
  • Scruff/bent mark at the bottom of the bag
  • Light indentations at the top flap/front of the bag
  • Left corner is rubbed out and dented
  • Bottom left brown paint line is misaligned compared to the other side
I called Saks and they said they couldn't do anything since the bag is now sold out. They offered me a full refund or compensation with 30% off my original purchase making my final total to be roughly $1200 after tax. That process according to the rep will still take 15 business days with their finance department so hoping that goes through. Looked up Chloe's site and they don't mention anything about repairs - even though Saks is an authorized retailer.

I've eyed the Tess bag forever in this shade and the sepia brown colour. Both are never on sale brand new.
What would you do? Would you keep the bag based on the steep discount?
Came across this thread, how did you go, have you been using your Tess, do you have some mod shots?

When I have a dilemma such as this one, I make my decision based on how much a flaw bothers me. If it is something that I will always have on my mind when I wear the bag, I don't keep it no matter the discount. If it's something small that I can accept and live with without giving it too much thought, I keep it. In my case, I usually know within a few minutes whether it's a keeper or not. I've come to know that there will always be opportunities and deals - at this point, I'm building a long-term collection, so only go for pieces that I am certain about. Over the years, I have learned that I am susceptible to parting with pieces that bother me in one way or another anyway.