Louis Vuitton Pre loved speedy

baglover57

O.G.
Jun 17, 2010
A New LV Speedy goes for $1,160.00. How can a Pre owned shopping site get away with charging $1,240 for a 2006 model? Same site is charging $1,290 for a 2019 model Speedy 25! Isn't the purpose of buying pre owned to save money? How can they get away with this. i'd rather buy a brand new Speedy 25 for $1,140. Anyone else agree with me?

A New LV Speedy goes for $1,160.00. How can a Pre owned shopping site get away with charging $1,240 for a 2006 model? Same site is charging $1,290 for a 2019 model Speedy 25! Isn't the purpose of buying pre owned to save money? How can they get away with this. i'd rather buy a brand new Speedy 25 for $1,140. Anyone else agree with me?
I totally agree with you, that bothers me. I guess they may think the canvas is better quality or something. But I rather buy new.

You’d be surprised that people would rather pay extra for an older version as the quality was way better. I’ve also heard that some people prefer handbags that were made in year of their birth. I personally would never buy anything pre-owned just because of stupid superstitions I have. However, I find a color of canvas from certain years much more attractive. And paleness of a brand new handbag’s vachetta is not appealing to my eyes either. It took me a year before vachetta darkened, and until then I honestly disliked it to the extent that I avoided using a handbag. To each their own:smile:

Asking and getting are two different things. Most of the reselling sites I visit mark their items down a certain percentage after a while. They may go through several more markdowns and if still unsold, be relegated to the 'outlet'. The sites may also have a more generous return policy, offer in house financing, etc.
I don't plan on buying new any time soon. I tend to resell my bags and the hit you take with most new bags is substantial. Of course there are exceptions, but most mass produced bags aren't going to recoup your investment. I have picked up several older Speedys, carried them for a few years and resold them for about what I paid for them.
I agree that the older bags are better quality and I also hate the patina process with a passion. I prefer to get mine already tanned. :beach:

Asking and getting are two different things. Most of the reselling sites I visit mark their items down a certain percentage after a while. They may go through several more markdowns and if still unsold, be relegated to the 'outlet'. The sites may also have a more generous return policy, offer in house financing, etc.
I don't plan on buying new any time soon. I tend to resell my bags and the hit you take with most new bags is substantial. Of course there are exceptions, but most mass produced bags aren't going to recoup your investment. I have picked up several older Speedys, carried them for a few years and resold them for about what I paid for them.
I agree that the older bags are better quality and I also hate the patina process with a passion. I prefer to get mine already tanned. :beach:
I agree with you @poopsie!

I also enjoy buying (some) brands bags pre-loved/used. I save $$, the bags if they are previously taken care of and used carefully (like myself) — one can really save some serious buck$$$ on a bag and still acquire a lovely item.

I also love some of the features of an “older” bag.

Reactions: poopsie
Some companies give you layaway options and you can't do that at LV, so it allows some buyers to pay off an LV little by little. And Fashionphile, for one, buys back items they sold you so you can return it for a percent of money back for months. They probably factor in those benefits with their pricing. And the resellers often have ready stock when LV doesn't, so some people might not mind a 2006 near perfect for 1500 instead of waiting for LV to get stock of a 2020 for 1200.

They can price items at whatever they want but doesnt mean that they will get it. I saw a bag on a pre own site that cost more than a new version on LV site and the bag was stocked. It was a newer model bag so the quality being better from previous years thing does not quite work for this.

Some may prefer paying more on pre owned sites for many reasons. One being, maybe the bag ends up cheaper if they do not have to pay tax on it since some sites you do not have to pay tax depending on what state you are in. Also like others said people want bags from certain years. Also some people actually do not like dealing with LV online and would prefer pre owned route.

Reactions: karman
I think specifically with the speedy, some people like MIF, the flat chaps or glossy finish on DE leather so if a person is looking for a particular bag, I can see why they would pay almost retail for a preloved bag.

Having said that, I think fashionphile prices are getting out of hand. $1,250 for a new pochette accessoires? Over $2k for a nano speedy? I know it's a business and as long as people buy at such prices, that's the way it goes, but I personally would never buy at those mark ups.

I think specifically with the speedy, some people like MIF, the flat chaps or glossy finish on DE leather so if a person is looking for a particular bag, I can see why they would pay almost retail for a preloved bag.

Having said that, I think fashionphile prices are getting out of hand. $1,250 for a new pochette accessoires? Over $2k for a nano speedy? I know it's a business and as long as people buy at such prices, that's the way it goes, but I personally would never buy at those mark ups.
Ever since Newman Marcus who is now filing for bankruptcy joined them, their prices rose.

Reactions: EdnaMode

This is what I was going to bring up if nobody else got to it first.

Fashionphile has been out of their minds with pricing lately. Pochette Accessories for just pennies shy of double retail. Mini PAs priced at $1000 and $965. A Valentine's Day vernis card holder for $645. It's just a slimy practice that makes me reluctant to direct any future business toward them.

Fashionphile has been out of their minds with pricing lately. Pochette Accessories for just pennies shy of double retail. Mini PAs priced at $1000 and $965. A Valentine's Day vernis card holder for $645. It's just a slimy practice that makes me reluctant to direct any future business toward them.

It is crazy. I hope LV will implement block chain which will show the bag changing hands and discourage people from price gouging (in addition to fighting counterfeit, which is their primary goal). If you buy an item from LV and then send it to Fashionphile for consignment, LV can trace it back to you - and if you do it too many times (understanding that sometimes people change their minds after the return policy is over) you'll get blocked. This way, the preloved market for used items can still operate but those who resell and price gouge will be held accountable.

I use to be a HUGE fashionphile supporter. And I say, USE TO because I just can't justify their prices anymore. Makes no sense. Personally I think they price high to see if they can get it and the 30% off section are the real prices.

I agree. I have noticed their prices are ridiculous lately for many items. I do like Yoogi's(another reseller) pricing better for the most part but I do find some of the items they list as "gently used" are not really gently used, at least not in my opinion.

Last edited:
It is crazy. I hope LV will implement block chain which will show the bag changing hands and discourage people from price gouging (in addition to fighting counterfeit, which is their primary goal). If you buy an item from LV and then send it to Fashionphile for consignment, LV can trace it back to you - and if you do it too many times (understanding that sometimes people change their minds after the return policy is over) you'll get blocked. This way, the preloved market for used items can still operate but those who resell and price gouge will be held accountable.
This is an interesting idea but I would not be surprised if resellers have employees that are stalking these items to increase their stock. Honestly, the PA and the nano speedy are some of the most sought after bags and for some of them to have so many in stock is kind of crazy to me. Nothing stops individuals from reselling and anyone can do it but if they incentivized their employees to do this, let's say, then there is nothing LV can do to stop them. It's pure speculation but some of their stock and prices just don't add up! We here at tpf inadvertently might be helping them through the stalking thread. Only way to stop this type of behavior is to stop buying these 100% marked up bags. It's ridiculous!