Help with little sister's 30th Bday Present (her first H bag)

Which one should i get?

• Evie TPM

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Picotin 18

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • GP 30

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Others

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters

Jaaanice

O.G.
Mar 12, 2007
Hi resourceful TPFers!

I am looking to get my sister a her first Hermes bag for her 30th bday and I don't know what to get.

Here's a little bit about her:
  • she's super tiny and petite. 5' 1, about 100 pounds or less..
  • works in manhattan and lives in long island city, but will be moving to manhattan by then (this is crucial bc of safety reasons. i bought her a Faure Le Page tote couple years ago and some guy snatched her whole bag and ran out of the restaurant)
  • bought her her first Chanel mini bag for her 28th bday which is Navy blue with silver hardware (so she likes blue i guess?)
  • she usually carries a backpack to work with her laptop and stuff
  • her style is more casual, sundresses, jumpsuits, but likes to dress up to go for nice dinners and drinks in the city

The bags I have considered and concerns:
  • Evie TPM - strap might be too long?
  • Picotin 18 - might not be safe, easy to get pick pocketed
  • GP 30 - hand held bag - but its my top choice bc there is a button closure

Out of the 3 bags I only have a GP, which i use often. I want something understated and most important will fit her body type cause she is so teeny tiny. Haven't thought of colors or HW yet.. ANY suggestions and comments with the above bags or other bags will be greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

First of all I think these are all great options for a first Hermes and your sister is very lucky! (I wish you were my sister :P) I've voted for the gp 30 as I just think it's a really practical bag that can be dressed up or down. I'm a similar size to your sister and same age and gp 30 is a great size for me. It is quite open at thesides but she could use a zip pouch inside for her valuables or a bag organiser. I had a similar style bag when I lived in London and never had any issues security wise. If I was ever in a more questionable area I would just hold it on the crook of my arm so it was closer to my body.

Having said that I do think the Evie tpm would be great if she normally carries a backpack for work - then she could be hands free and Evie would go with lots of different outfits but obviously much smaller, maybe too similar size wise to her Chanel? Gp would give her a different style/size all together.

Good luck choosing and let us know what you go for!

Generous sister and lucky sister! A bolide would also be a good option. It is understated, can fit quite a bit, and zippered for that protection. You can carry it in a few ways as well as it comes with a strap. But whichever H bag you decide, I'm sure it will be a special one for your sister!

Agree with everyone here: what an wonderful, generous sister!!

I also agree with WKN and 1gunro on the Bolide. I’d say that or GP.

I have no problem re: safety thing BUT I know people who are worried about that - my own sister being one of them - and they might not be comfortable with such open styles, as adorable as Picotin and Evie are.

Do you want it to be a complete surprise? I did something similar for my sister, but I asked her to pick. She ended up with a Fendi actually, apparently she’d been eyeing it for a while! Was her 2nd ever designer bag. Maybe your sister already has a preference that she’d tell you?

I'm your sister's size and the Evie TPM is perfect crossbody for me. I love this bag enough to have three of them :P
The TPM GP is a useful bag too, but not one you'd want to carry along with a backpack for work. The TPM can be put into a backpack or work bag and come out for, say, going to lunch.
These are all casual bags but the Evie and Pico could be worn to casual dinners, the GP not as much.
I vote Evelyne TPM.

Mini halzan

I vote for mini halzan if you are looking for a small bag . I am 5'1 and I have an Evie tpm and a mini Hazan . The strap on the Evie tpm is not that long for me . But I prefer the mini halzan because it can fit a lot . It has 2 pockets in front and 2 in the back with 2 slots inside and a long pocket. It can be worn crossbody or on the shoulder . You can also make it's strap shorter . Super light in swift leather . can be worn casual or for dinner .

My second vote is bolide 27 . It is twice the mini halzan size . So elegant and under the radar . Has a strap. can be worn crossbody I think .

BTW : you are an amazing sister :heart:

If I were your sister, I would treasure it rather than for daily use. The vote items are at similar price point, I think picotin is good for both causal and classy style. Picotin is in full leather and much durable than GP.

Reactions: Jaaanice
What a wonderful and thoughtful sister.

Not sure if any bag is safe, but from that aspect a little X-body can be worn under a coat or jacket.

From your list, the GP 30 makes the most sense aesthetically, perfect for a petit, cute and very practical

Reactions: Jaaanice
thank you everyone for helping me with this and all the kind words!!! I am not generous, just selfish bc i want to be the first to buy her a chanel bag, an hermes bag and possibly a diamond in the future :nuts:

Generous sister and lucky sister! A bolide would also be a good option. It is understated, can fit quite a bit, and zippered for that protection. You can carry it in a few ways as well as it comes with a strap. But whichever H bag you decide, I'm sure it will be a special one for your sister!
I agree with WKN! I think a bolide 27 would be a great option! Also, maybe consider a mini Halzan too. It can be worn many different ways.
Mini halzan
Bolide, mini halzan, Victoria (if you want a bigger bag) or mini plume (super underrated).
consider Bolide 27/30/31. zips and has a shoulder strap. great for going out too. I have a mini bolide and it's fab.

halzan is one of my most used and fave h bags!! its sooo versatile- i have the 31 i don't know why i never considered the mini for her!! such a great idea!

I don't own a bolide- not sure why i didn't think of that either! will def look at those options!! thanks!!!

You are indeed a generous sister & several of the bags under consideration are young in spirit so I don't
think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions.
I think a pop of color would be fun for your sister & opens up more choices
im thinking of a pop of color too! i need to somehow msg her bf and have him give me some hints on what colors she doens't have in her closet!