Milky layer on my mulberry after collonil

Careinaa

Jan 22, 2020
Hello all,
After using the recommended collonil leather gel on my black zipped Bayswater I noticed a milky layer on the leather which just got visible in direct sunlight. Not sure how this happened. Did I use too much product?

Maybe anyone has experience with this and a solution? As it’s a waterproof product, I don’t really now how to clean this now... thankful for any advice xIMG_4024.JPG

Did you buff it with a cotton cloth post application?

It might just be a thin layer of product that isn’t fully absorbed on the surface!

Thanks so much. I did, but it seems to me as if the leather gel gathered in these small rills of the grained leather. Also I waited about two days to buff it. Not sure whether that was too long. What can I do now?

Thanks so much. I did, but it seems to me as if the leather gel gathered in these small rills of the grained leather. Also I waited about two days to buff it. Not sure whether that was too long. What can I do now?

Since you them dry for 48h, it’ll be much harder to buff them since the product is now completely dry. The layer isn’t really visible in the picture so it’ll probably rub off eventually with daily use.

I wouldn’t suggest trying to buff them too harshly since you can damage the leather or even strip some of the colour from the leather.

Two days is too long. Buffing should be done soon after the application when the product has absorbed into the leather. Then I would wipe with a clean cloth to get extra residue off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, collonil leather gel helps improve water resistance of the leather but the product itself does not necessary offer waterproof results since it's supposed to be gentle. Technically it should wear off over time with use. Have you tried to wipe with a damp cloth? Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Two days is too long. Buffing should be done soon after the application when the product has absorbed into the leather. Then i wipe with a clean cloth to get extra residue off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding, collonil leather gel helps improve water resistance of the leather but the product itself is not necessary waterproof since it's supposed to be gentle. Technically it should wear off over time with use. Have you tried to wipe with a damp cloth? Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot and good god thought it’s a good thing to wait couple of days. I contacted collonil directly now and also buffed it with a damp cloth. Let’s hope it will end up just fine. Glad that it is not that visible and will hopefully wear off.

Reactions: Christofle
Thanks a lot and good god thought it’s a good thing to wait couple of days. I contacted collonil directly now and also buffed it with a damp cloth. Let’s hope it will end up just fine. Glad that it is not that visible and will hopefully wear off.

Honestly, it’s barely visible. The first time I was using beeswax polish on a pair of my boots I ended up being a bit overzealous and they looked like they had been swapped for patent.

I then tried using a damp cloth but somehow the cotton fibres came off the rag and got embedded within the beeswax layer. Needless to say they looking horrifying but thankfully letting them dry and then using a horsehair brush to remove the wax fixed the issue. :shocked: