What makes YOUR heart sing more in the long run? Your Classic black or colorful special bags?

What makes YOUR heart sing more in the long run?

• Absolute classic black/navy/beige

Votes: 95 40.3%
  • Unique leathers/colors are the way to go

Votes: 52 22.0%
  • Both are equally beautiful and worth it

Votes: 89 37.7%

• Total voters

DamierEbene

Feb 12, 2019
Help me out please! :flowers:
I am about to buy my first Chanel.:nuts:

After researching the heck out of this forum and the internet and watching tons of youtube about „buying first Chanel“ or „Chanel buying tips“ etc
.....I no longer know what I want.:whut: Or to be more exact: I no longer know what to buy first (due to ongoing price increases and the constantly changing availability on the preloved market)

It drives me nuts to the point where ... I guess I lost myself in researching the perfect bag for me... I am so terrified to make the wrong decision for the money of -lets say three Louis Vuitton bags.

I am basically torn between - on the one hand- a classic color, brand new from the store with all the experience and -on the other hand- preloved from past seasons in special leathers/colors which you can find so many preloved. Some are good deals, some priced close to retail.

I always thought my first Chanel must be
-a forever bag (like my Speedy I will never part with)
-brand new from the store
-a typical Chanel look with the classy black/ghw. And best value for money! (Haha... at Chanel! Sure ... I know) :angel:

And I am not sure anymore.

Should I get a preloved/ rather special bag for a good (Chanel-) price and its unique (for example jacket boy or gabby iridescent) ..yet so NOT classy Chanel... Maybe too different and a little too extra as „forever“ bag?
Or should I stick to classic combo black/gold on a Coco or Mini or Boy or even Gabrielle .... :confused1:

I have to say I am dressing in completely neutral colors with some red and navy, mostly classic blouses, plain shirts, Blazer and ballet flats in all colors all the time...

You could argue that a special bag would totally make my wardrobe more interesting or one could say I should stay with classic, neutral design. (my LVs are almost only classics Alma, Speedy, Noe...)

I already know that this will not be my only Chanel but I want my first to be a forever bag, something that I can wear for years. I admit that the classic flap in black/gold does not make my heart sing at the moment.

Please let me know about your first bag and if you love your classics more or your „special“ bags in special colors or leathers or hardware etc... (I am not talking about completely seasonal bags in shape- I mean only classics in special appearance (gabby, reissue, boy, mini, coco handle etc...)

Did you regret to have bought a somewhat special bag rather than a classic black/gold in a more classic style?

pictures appreciated!:heart:

Reactions: vodense
If the question classic vs not so classic bag drives you nuts, I think it's time to take a step back. I do get the whole ide of needing to buy a bag now because the next pricehike will be a step too far but this is your first bag and thinking about it should be a fun thing.

Offcourse I do get the whole forever bag but you also say that the black cf doesn't make your heart sing. Since the black cf will always be around and you already say that this will not be your only Chanel bag, just go for a colour that does make your heart sing. The black cf won't go anywhere so just buy that down the line.

I did voted black because you asked me what would make my heart sing. I love black in clothes and bags and although I do have a couple of coloured bags, I always gravitate towards black just as Dita von Teese will always have a signature make-up look. But don't look at what others want, especially for these prices. Buy what you love first, buy what you will wear second.

My first bag is a vintage chevron medium flap in black with 24k GHW. I wanted a bag with the most versatility but not too common.
I’d say that if it’s not gonna be your only chanel bag, it doesn’t matter what order you got it in. What matters is whether you will come across any “classic-with-a-twist” seasonal styles. For example, if grey goes with a lot of your outfit and you like the shape of the classic flap, do snap up the grey caviar that came out last year because it sells out very fast.

Great question!

I have a fairly large collection. If I was forced to narrow it down to two, it would be my medium classic flap in black lambskin and gold hardware and my small classic flap in iridescent blue caviar with light gold hardware.

And between the two, the black with gold would be the one hands down that would get the most use since it can be used for formal events, casual events, and everything in between.

Since the black cf will always be around and you already say that this will not be your only Chanel bag, just go for a colour that does make your heart sing. The black cf won't go anywhere so just buy that down the line.
Thank you!:heart: I also think that I will be able to buy a good one preloved anytime next year maybe.
I’d say that if it’s not gonna be your only chanel bag, it doesn’t matter what order you got it in. What matters is whether you will come across any “classic-with-a-twist” seasonal styles.
Yes- that is what is always in my head! I am sure am not done after one Chanel bag and some styles will never be found again in a boutique!
Btw- beautiful first bag choice! :smile:

I always regret colors unless they are neutral. You're keeping your speedy because it's an LV classic, so pick an item from Chanel that is the same, classic and able to last through the years. Safest choices are their classic colors in their classic models. If you like the brand, then explore colors and seasonal options.
True for the speedy! And for the model of the bag I will stick to the classic shapes- no seasonal experiment :amuse: Just maybe no black... interesting that you regret colors?! Can you give details? Did you regret them because you couldn't combine them with you wardrobe or the colors was too „loud“ ?

I think you know it quite fast when you go to a store and look at different colours\styles.
I decided on a red cf for my first chanel and it’s my favourite still :biggrin:
so why not go for a classic fresh from the boutique in a colour you love :smile:
great that you still love your red cf!! That is something I could imagine ... in a boy or reissue as well! If it is the right red! :flowers:

Reactions: missmythology
Great question!

I have a fairly large collection. If I was forced to narrow it down to two, it would be my medium classic flap in black lambskin and gold hardware and my small classic flap in iridescent blue caviar with light gold hardware.

And between the two, the black with gold would be the one hands down that would get the most use since it can be used for formal events, casual events, and everything in between.

Hmm.... yes if I was sure to only have one I would go for cf black now preloved.... but I already can tell I fell down the rabbit hole and plan my collection and bags I would like to get in the future:lol:

My first Chanels were all black and then I got to point where I said no more black. I now only really buy colour and try to avoid black. The colours really make my heart sing :loveeyes:
Hmm... maybe I will do it the other way around :giggle:

I say stick with a classic, considering your LV collection and style... you never regret the staples and it's not like the other Chanel bags are exactly cheap anyway.... I'd add gray into the mix of colors to consider for a classic flap, but a neutral/darker caviar flap will stand the test of time just like your LV's have and will continue to.. I've acquired these flaps over the years, three are pre owned, the large reissue was a "project" bag that I restored and has been super useful, the monetary value isn't there due to the interior condition but it's still such an awesome useful classic I'd never sell it anyway! The square vintage is a beautiful navy lambskin, ant the gray is a a strong canvas with a light sparkle to it (on the outside) and fully leather otherwise. I have some fun color Chanel bags too too but I'm so thankful to have this group of dark neutral classics. Maybe once you get a flap, in the future you can consider a smaller piece like a WOC or a even a large O case in a colored caviar that you can use as a clutch and that can be your fun color pop item, I recently got one in a beautiful sea foam blue/green and it's a great piece!

Attachments

• IMG_9923.jpg
    IMG_9923.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 525
Definitely buy what makes your heart sing! Black classic flaps are not for everyone. My favorite Chanel is a chevron reissue (it’s black but that’s not why it’s my favorite). I love the style of it...it’s a classic with a little edge. I wanted to make sure I added some color to my Chanel collection and the trendy in Bleu Clair is my next favorite. Another classic looking bag but not a classic. I do have a classic jumbo in navy that I love but if I could only keep 1 Chanel, it probably wouldn’t be this one.

When you’re able to get to a store and try bags on. Have fun with it and pick the one regardless if it’s a classic. Pick the one that you love.

Here are some pics for you since you requested them Adjustments.JPGIMG_4648.JPGAdjustments.JPG

I say go to the boutique and see what you are most drawn to.

I thought I would get a medium classic flap as my first but I didn’t like it when I tried it on. I fell in love with the reissue and it’s still my favorite bag a decade later. I have 8 Chanels now and I still don’t have a medium cc flap!