Chanel price increase - Crazy or not

Price increase

• Crazy

Votes: 702 88.7%
  • I will keep purchasing

Votes: 89 11.3%

• Total voters
I refuse to buy fluff items just to try to reach an artificial quota...but some years ago, I purchased some scarves that I still have (because I wanted them), and a Halzan bag before they were offered online. Funny story, I paid for the Europe trip for myself + boyfriend-of-the-time a few years ago, so my credit card with 0% foreign exchange fees was close to its limits...therefore my BF put the Halzan on his credit card (with 0% forex) where I promised to pay him back for it. So unfortunately the history of the Halzan purchase is probably under BF's name, as they asked for his passport too. :facepalm:

That's not the most irksome thing, though. At the counter, the sales associates would look me up and down, ask me for my profession (I'm in healthcare), before judging me and deciding I wasn't worthy enough to be offered a Birkin for purchase. (I am not supermodel glamorous, but I'm in the average to average-pretty range, and I dress professionally.) Obviously Kris Jenner and her reality show fame who happened to be visiting at the same time, was more important, as she got immediately ushered to a private room. :P It is kind of a demeaning experience that I haven't experienced elsewhere...and I am shameless enough to say that I still want one Birkin. I do like them, and I like some of their scarves/shawls, as well as perfumes; however, it's definitely not the same as me wanting multiple Chanel purses, clothing, shoes, perfumes...and I admire Mademoiselle Chanel's philosophy of designing items for both aesthetics and practicality.

Anyway, bitterness gets all of us nowhere, right? I actually am glad that I wasn't 'allowed' to purchase a Birkin 3-4 years ago. I've made much better use of my funds in terms of investments in this time. I thought the girl who did sell me the Halzan was very sweet, and I learned more about my own evolving preferences in accessories--I thought I wanted a black Birkin most of all, but now I'd much rather get a special tone that only Hermes can do. I don't want or need 20 Chanel flaps, either. :lol: I still believe that if we work hard, we will eventually get all of our needs and most of our wants fulfilled. :drinks:

I agree with this. I have two Birkins from FSH. In Paris, I really do get the best treatment, whether Chanel or Hermes! But in my Hermes home store I get treated so cold. I tried building up a purchase history, and felt it was going nowhere. I didn't particularly enjoy trying to build a relationship with a sales associate. It was clear from the way I was treated in the store, that I'm not one of their VIPs. I would rather Chanel increase prices up front than string you along like Hermes does.

For me, it’s the cumulative effect of the increases that flabbergast me. For example, my jumbo was $1695 I think and WOC $1195 or $1295. My petit shopping tote and grande shopping tote (both discontinued, but may have been in the classics category someone please correct me if I’m wrong) were $1195 and $1795 or $1895 respectively. This was back in the early 2000s. As prices went up, I was done with classics anyway, with seasonal styles being more my thing, so the increases didn’t bother me. Seasonal styles have increased in price too but at slower pace.

Same here. I am lucky that I've been at chanel purse peace for 2 years now. I have all the ones I want (1 jumbo cf, 1 m/l cf, 1 old medium boy, 1 WOC, 1 GST and 1 tote. Along with a ton of slgs). In the last two years, I've gone onto buying LV, YSL and gucci mainly because my chanel purses just sat in my closet unused. The city/state that I live in, people don't really carry designer bags. So I've ventured out to buy bags I can throw around. I still love my chanel purses though and I could have totally purchased a mini but never cared for it.

I used to be a regular on the chanel tpf for many years back in 2011-2016 and off/on 2017/2018. My last chanel bag was purchased in 2018 and since then ive purchased alot of slgs. Came back to see the reaction to the price increase.

I'm shocked at the price. Starting 2011, I bought my jumbo for ~$4000 USD after taxes, m/l cf for $3600 USD after VAT refund (purchased in europe), WOC for $1750, OM boy for $3100 USD. GST when it was a classic for $2900 but now discontinued . So crazy.

I think people will still buy even after the increase. Every year and every price increase, people say the same thing but everyone always ends up buying if they love it.

This price increase is not something new. The last time it happened was about 8 years ago as I recall, about a 15-17% increase. Many here threatened to go Hermes, but in the end, many are still here.

Chanel and Hermes are completely different looks. Chanel is chic, elegant, with a touch of bling. Many buy Chanel for the logo, including me. I have many Chanels, and I could have bought Hermes. I have tried to love Hermes, but it is not my fashion look (everyone has a fashion look).

Truth is... regardless of price, for me, I think Chanel is THE handbag brand to own.

I love my CC logo!

I agree with this. I have two Birkins from FSH. In Paris, I really do get the best treatment, whether Chanel or Hermes! But in my Hermes home store I get treated so cold. I tried building up a purchase history, and felt it was going nowhere. I didn't particularly enjoy trying to build a relationship with a sales associate. It was clear from the way I was treated in the store, that I'm not one of their VIPs. I would rather Chanel increase prices up front than string you along like Hermes does.
I have 1 birkin from the Paris Flag Ship. I still don't know how I scored that one haha. I'm hoping to one day get a second one. I also don't have a Hermes SA at home. I've tried very hard to woo an Hermes SA but it hasn't worked. I'm very close with my Chanel SA though. She even attended my wedding as a member of my bridal party. I mostly shop at Chanel because I enjoy going there not because I want a particular bag or whatnot. If the bags don't excite me for the price listed, I'll buy shoes or makeup. I contemplated buying a lavender Medium back in January but the more I thought about it, the more the idea bored me. I just can't feel excited about the bags like I used to.

I voted "crazy" on the poll, but in my opinion it's actually both.
Yes, the price hikes are crazy. They were always crazy to ole middle class moi, that's why I am not ashamed to admit my two chanels are preloved (classic m/l and a seasonal pochette). But I love them nonetheless.
That being said, I am currently contemplating buying an LV coated canvas bag (not very sure which one yet) but there is a preloved red boy bag that I might consider as well.
I also have no woc or slgs in my collection yet. So who knows? I find the prices crazy but maybe of something came along that really captures me, it will be worth it.

I started thinking about VCA bracelet instead of a bag (or Rolex/Cartier watch)
Yes!!!! I invested in a Chanel mini rectangular and a Rolex last year and at the beginning of this year. To be honest...I enjoy wearing my Rolex more! Don’t know what it is, but I feel completely different when wearing my Rolex. To me the mini is just another bag

Good morning. Okay so I am very late to this party. Because of the virus I have not been in touch with anyone but my grocery and liquor stores....so I just became aware of the price increase two days ago. Am I correct that it starts on the 22nd of May? I'm in the states, florida to be exact, and need to know if I should be texting my sa today.
Thanks for any info, and stay safe