Itching to get another Birkin...which leather: Box or Clemence?

Apr 24, 2019
I hope everyone is well wherever you may be.

These two leathers (Clemence + Box Calf) could not be more drastically different from each other and I am having such a hard time deciding. I LOVE smooth leathers, the Vache Naturelle bags, slightly textured Epsom, but adore my Fjord because it can take a beating. However, this time around, I am looking to add to my vintage Birkin collection and need to know which leather: Box Calf (Natural) or Clemence (Gold)? I always look for bags that are not too delicate and want a leather that is sturdy enough for everyday use (minus stormy days). For those of you with the wisdom and privilege of owning multiple Hermes leathers, which of the two clemence or box calf, would you prefer?

I have box calf Kelly that I love, but never owned a Clemence, just Fjord. I have been searching for opinions regarding Box Calf and Clemence its durability and just wanted to see, which leather would be best for everyday use? I appreciate everyone's help and any advice you can give!!!

Feel free to plop this question in another thread if needed. I could not find this anywhere to simply add to a thread already in motion.

Last edited:
I sadly dont own multiple Hermes leather items.
So my post is just from an aesthetic viewpoint and the little knowledge I do have.
Firstly I believe that Box leather is more prone to scratches so if you wanted a Birkin for everyday use and you wanted it to look as pristine as possible I would suggest Clemence.
However they do look so very different and I personally find they look so different in a style like the Birkin you can't compare.
Recently I have started to think about one day owning a Birkin having really gone off of them due to seeing so many in the world in which I work, Going through these forums and looking at people's Birkins I have reached the decision that when I do get one (It'll be pre-loved due to budget constraints )I want to buy one in a smooth leather like Box and just let it get scratched and soft-weirdly enough I own a Celine Classic bag in Box leather and I use it perhaps once a year because I'm so neurotic about the scratching but I see the Birkin as a much more casual style therefore I wouldn't be so precious.
hope this helps!

Reactions: ladysarah
I hope everyone is well wherever you may be.

These two leathers (Clemence + Box Calf) could not be more drastically different from each other and I am having such a hard time deciding. I LOVE smooth leathers, the Vache Naturelle bags, slightly textured Epsom, but adore my Fjord because it can take a beating. However, this time around, I am looking to add to my vintage Birkin collection and need to know which leather: Box Calf (Natural) or Clemence (Gold)? I always look for bags that are not too delicate and want a leather that is sturdy enough for everyday use (minus stormy days). For those of you with the wisdom and privilege of owning multiple Hermes leathers, which of the two clemence or box calf, would you prefer?

I have box calf Kelly that I love, but never owned a Clemence, just Fjord. I have been searching for opinions regarding Box Calf and Clemence its durability and just wanted to see, which leather would be best for everyday use? I appreciate everyone's help and any advice you can give!!!

Feel free to plop this question in another thread if needed. I could not find this anywhere to simply add to a thread already in motion.
I have one box birkin (so black) and a few of the clemence. I rarely use the box for some reason, not because I don't love it, but I think I like the casual vibe of the clemence more. It's hardy but soft and mushy in the best way possible if that makes sense. BUT I have a very casual lifestyle. If I were going to use for work or more formal meetings/ events then perhaps the box would work better. As the other poster said though, I worry more about the box leather. So I took my dogs to the lake a couple of weeks ago and threw balls with them until they were sopping wet and muddy, and when they piled into the car mud got all over one of my clemence b's. I literally didn't care b/c it was clemence, but I think I would have reacted differently if it was the box?

Last edited:
Box can handle a fair amount of use IF you're ok with scratches. Clemence is much more durable. Clemence can also get wet with little to no effect, while Box can get damaged by, say, a heavy surprise rainshower.

Very good advice! Thank you, everyone! I may go with Clemence if it will hold up better. I can be it particular about the look of my bags and like to be able to throw them around. Is Clemence as sturdy as Fjord?

Reactions: TraceySH
I have one box birkin (so black) and a few of the clemence. I rarely use the box for some reason, not because I don't love it, but I think I like the casual vibe of the clemence more. It's hardy but soft and mushy in the best way possible if that makes sense. BUT I have a very casual lifestyle. If I were going to use for work or more formal meetings/ events then perhaps the box would work better. As the other poster said though, I worry more about the box leather. So I took my dogs to the lake a couple of weeks ago and threw balls with them until they were sopping wet and muddy, and when they piled into the car mud got all over one of my clemence b's. I literally didn't care b/c it was clemence, but I think I would have reacted differently if it was the box?

Hi, On a lot of websites they say Clemence can not be wet. But here I read it can? I am confused. :smile:

I've had several Clemence Birkins and I can confirm that it can get wet without any problems. I got caught in a downpour once with my Clemence B and it got soaked: when I got home I left it to dry naturally, away from direct heat, and the next day it was as good as new.

Going back to the OP's dilemma between Box and Clemence, I totally understand your love of both even being totally different, I love both these leathers to bits. I tend to prefer smooth leathers to textured ones, but my only exceptions are Clemence and Fjord, I strongly dislike Togo which seems to be one of the most popular leathers.

Anyway having said all this, I think that Box can last for ages if well kept, of course Clemence is more carefree on a daily basis: although I use my Box bags often I don't take them out if it's going to rain. Also I love the slouchyness of Clemence and it's soft buttery feel.

The Net can be a web of misinformation.

I have one Clemence bag and 5 (or 6?) Box.

I use my Clemence almost everyday every day. It doesn't care about anything but me.

I check the weather, where I'm going and transport if taking Box out. It's totally gorgeous and in a lighter colour it actually may hide more scratches but...