Chanel price increase - Crazy or not

Price increase

• Crazy

Votes: 702 88.7%
  • I will keep purchasing

Votes: 89 11.3%

• Total voters
I didn’t say that I agree that the timing for the price increase was good. All I’m saying is that the people who are complaining that it was bad timing for Chanel to increase prices during a time when many ppl just lost their jobs... what does job loss have to do with bad timing for price increases of luxury goods?? Luxury goods are NOT essential items and not needed when one just lost their job and therefore can not afford a new Chanel bag at the increased price tag. In my opinion that’s a ridiculous argument. If supermarkets started to jack up prices for groceries right now, yeah, that’s called greed and bad timing, but not when Chanel decided to increase their prices now during this pandemic. Just don’t buy their goods anymore if you feel like Chanel as a corporation is greedy and no one will die or starve because they couldn’t afford a new Chanel purse...

I don't think people are saying that job loss and the price increase are directly related, or that it is unfair for people who have just lost jobs because now they can't afford to buy Chanel. A lot of the people who have lost jobs and are in tight financial straits right now probably couldn't afford Chanel to begin with. What people are saying is that in this crazy, unprecedented time where sooo many people around the entire world are facing hardships, it seems insensitive/tone-deaf for luxury brands to raise prices. Almost like a "We get that millions have lost their jobs & are struggling to pay rent & feed their families, but so what? We need more profits & those people weren't our clients anyway, so ... sucks for them, but the rich are still rich & now is as good a time as any to use them to help us get richer! Plus, we didn't take any govt. aid & have lost profits & someone needs to help us make up that cash — might as well use our customers to defray our losses & the costs of paying our employees during this time!"

Or maybe that's just how their actions feel to me. :confused1: Personally, I feel weird spending thousands on non-essential items when, like I mentioned, so many others are suffering. And yes, there are always people suffering, and yes, I can make donations to aid organizations to assuage the guilt of buying luxury, but ... it still just feels weird to spend a lot now. Maybe it's because I'm not independently wealthy — if I was, perhaps I would have no problem shopping as usual or with brands raising prices. I don't know. But it seems like a lot of people and brands around the world are using this time to cut back, to reprioritize needs vs. wants, to give back more, to use their resources to help others, etc.

A spring price increase from them is honestly not really surprising — it's more the fact that they would ignore the collective mood around the world & take this action now. It couldn't have waited a few months until the global health/economic situation were in a better place? I get that Chanel has probably lost an insane amount of money since the shutdown, but they're a private company with deep pockets & it would seem they'll bounce back fairly quickly once things stabilize, at least compared to many businesses.

Just my two cents! Kudos to anyone who read all that! :biggrin: Love the thoughtful exchange of ideas & opinions that goes on here. :heart:

no matter how much they increase , those that love will buy . :smile:
They are not a cheap choice to buy to being with all along .
some thinking will be , those that buy their classic will feel worth as the price will increase .
so if you love classic , get it now or it will be more and more expensive in future

I don't think people are saying that job loss and the price increase are directly related, or that it is unfair for people who have just lost jobs because now they can't afford to buy Chanel. A lot of the people who have lost jobs and are in tight financial straits right now probably couldn't afford Chanel to begin with. What people are saying is that in this crazy, unprecedented time where sooo many people around the entire world are facing hardships, it seems insensitive/tone-deaf for luxury brands to raise prices. Almost like a "We get that millions have lost their jobs & are struggling to pay rent & feed their families, but so what? We need more profits & those people weren't our clients anyway, so ... sucks for them, but the rich are still rich & now is as good a time as any to use them to help us get richer! Plus, we didn't take any govt. aid & have lost profits & someone needs to help us make up that cash — might as well use our customers to defray our losses & the costs of paying our employees during this time!"

Or maybe that's just how their actions feel to me. :confused1: Personally, I feel weird spending thousands on non-essential items when, like I mentioned, so many others are suffering. And yes, there are always people suffering, and yes, I can make donations to aid organizations to assuage the guilt of buying luxury, but ... it still just feels weird to spend a lot now. Maybe it's because I'm not independently wealthy — if I was, perhaps I would have no problem shopping as usual or with brands raising prices. I don't know. But it seems like a lot of people and brands around the world are using this time to cut back, to reprioritize needs vs. wants, to give back more, to use their resources to help others, etc.

A spring price increase from them is honestly not really surprising — it's more the fact that they would ignore the collective mood around the world & take this action now. It couldn't have waited a few months until the global health/economic situation were in a better place? I get that Chanel has probably lost an insane amount of money since the shutdown, but they're a private company with deep pockets & it would seem they'll bounce back fairly quickly once things stabilize, at least compared to many businesses.

Just my two cents! Kudos to anyone who read all that! :biggrin: Love the thoughtful exchange of ideas & opinions that goes on here. :heart:

This is so well written - you should write to them ❤️!!!!

I think it’s crazy! I love Chanel. But, a major price increase at a time like this is in poor taste.

Unless there is a must have item, I’ll probably end up rethinking my purchases and shop elsewhere with that money...

I agree that it seems that at a time like this it is a bit of an insensitive choice, however I highly suspect that this increase would have gone ahead all the same whether there was a global pandemic or not. Businesses rarely make financial decisions without prior planning and Chanel is known for it's regular increases. Unfortunately it comes with the territory of being a Chanel lover.

Personally, I will continue to buy Chanel but most likely pre-loved as I can't justify spending £6k for the current level of quality that Chanel provides, I would rather buy vintage pieces. Thankfully I bought my most recent 2.55 in time and the only major gap in my collection is a CF which I would look for pre-loved. I'll happy continue to buy things like shoes in the boutiques but can't justify dropping that kind of cash on bags when I could be getting Hermes quality for a bit more.

I agree that it seems that at a time like this it is a bit of an insensitive choice, however I highly suspect that this increase would have gone ahead all the same whether there was a global pandemic or not. Businesses rarely make financial decisions without prior planning and Chanel is known for it's regular increases. Unfortunately it comes with the territory of being a Chanel lover.

Personally, I will continue to buy Chanel but most likely pre-loved as I can't justify spending £6k for the current level of quality that Chanel provides, I would rather buy vintage pieces. Thankfully I bought my most recent 2.55 in time and the only major gap in my collection is a CF which I would look for pre-loved. I'll happy continue to buy things like shoes in the boutiques but can't justify dropping that kind of cash on bags when I could be getting Hermes quality for a bit more.

You are right, the price increases were probably planned in some form or another.

I am still looking for a red Chanel bag to round out my collection, so if one comes up that I love, I will still buy it. I'm not a Hermes fan...I just don't relate to the vibe as much, but I may also shop pre-loved for other types of bags or go to Louis Vuitton.

Reactions: Law
You are right, the price increases were probably planned in some form or another.

I am still looking for a red Chanel bag to round out my collection, so if one comes up that I love, I will still buy it. I'm not a Hermes fan...I just don't relate to the vibe as much, but I may also shop pre-loved for other types of bags or go to Louis Vuitton.

I know what you mean re Hermes. I'm a fan of the Constance and Kelly bags but I guess Hermes is a pretty different aesthetic in general from Chanel. I just feel that if I'm going to be spending that much on a new Chanel I would rather invest that money into an item of much higher quality from Hermes, or spend less and get pre-loved Chanel.

A red Chanel is a must though and there are so many different reds in the Chanel universe it can be hard to find the right one!

Perhaps they already knew this would spark off a buying frenzy for countries that still have plenty of current stock, which is happening now... that will help clear the back lock before launch of next collection. :doh: It would definitely compensate well the loss of revenue due to lockdown.Would not be too surprised if they readjust the prices later to appease ‘public’ sentiments.

Last edited: