makeup and the pandemic

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
Are you buying/wearing makeup these days? I've been wearing little or no makeup. No sense wearing lipstick under a mask. I'm home a lot and the times I do go to the store I put on eyebrows and mascara.

MAC is contributing profits from Viva Glam lippies to organizations providing services to vicims of Covid 19. I'm thinking of getting Viva Glam 3. Sounds like a nice shade. I figure it will give me hope that some day I can go out somewhere again and wear makeup.

Anyone used Viva Glam 3?

I've been working from home, and using Zoom for half my working day for meetings so :yes: I have been wearing makeup but it's changed a little. A bit more attention on light-reflective powders and potions but leaving off mascara every chance I get (allergies).

Before lockdown usual (bare in mind I usually have less than 5 mins):
Bioderma or Nivea face SPF 50 (this put on first thing after washing)
YSL primer (if I have time)
Nars TM or Bare Essentials stick
Chanel radiance powder (Ltd Ed. I bought 3)
EL eyebrow powder or Dior eyebrow pencil (Dior is quicker)
Rimmel mascara
YSL Tatouage

After lockdown:
Bioderma or Nivea face SPF 50 (I'm doing the garden a lot)
Nars TM or Ellis Faas foundation
L'oreal Infallible concealer (a must with my computer camera)
Chanel radiance powder
EL eyebrow powder or Dior eyebrow pencil (not always)
Hourglass Ethereal Light or Guerlain Meteorites
Guerlain bronzer in extra light or Chanel blusher (not always)
Pat McGrath eyeshadow, occasionally Charlotte Tilbury or UD (not always)
Hermes or Guerlain lipstick (not always)

I have time to double cleanse at night now too and use serums, jade rollers and 'stuff' that I never had time to before so I probably need less makeup but now I have the time I'm enjoying myself.

Are you buying/wearing makeup these days? I've been wearing little or no makeup. No sense wearing lipstick under a mask. I'm home a lot and the times I do go to the store I put on eyebrows and mascara.

MAC is contributing profits from Viva Glam lippies to organizations providing services to vicims of Covid 19. I'm thinking of getting Viva Glam 3. Sounds like a nice shade. I figure it will give me hope that some day I can go out somewhere again and wear makeup.

Anyone used Viva Glam 3?

It's a great idea. Lots of companies are donating with purchase, it is still an enticement though so if you need a lipstick and it's a shade you'll wear now or in the future then why not? It's the kind of shade that I have bought recently over and over so I wouldn't buy another. I'm slightly conscious that I have rather a lot of makeup, no an influencer 'rate my palettes' lot but enough to look up a holiday ltd ed powder to see that it was 2010 and I hadn't opened it.

I've done a bit of straight-forward donating without buying anything and I've also bought things I would have bought anyway with the company giving some of their proceeds to local/national charities. Either way it's a good thing.

It's a great idea. Lots of companies are donating with purchase, it is still an enticement though so if you need a lipstick and it's a shade you'll wear now or in the future then why not? It's the kind of shade that I have bought recently over and over so I wouldn't buy another. I'm slightly conscious that I have rather a lot of makeup, no an influencer 'rate my palettes' lot but enough to look up a holiday ltd ed powder to see that it was 2010 and I hadn't opened it.

I've done a bit of straight-forward donating without buying anything and I've also bought things I would have bought anyway with the company giving some of their proceeds to local/national charities. Either way it's a good thing.
This does look like a shade I have in many other lipsticks. But reviews say it's beautiful. Hard to say whether it would be a favorite or a miss.

Reactions: papertiger
This does look like a shade I have in many other lipsticks. But reviews say it's beautiful. Hard to say whether it would be a favorite or a miss.

It's much less expensive than many of my latest lipstick 'adventures' and I hardly wear lipstick until recently so it feels (for me) a lot to get through. If it's nice too, and you wear lipstick normally, I'd say value for money and worth taking a chance on

Reactions: sdkitty
I don't wear makeup every day, only on days when I have to go grocery shopping or have a video conference call. When I do, I fill in my brows, do my eye makeup (eyeshadow, liner, mascara). If I leave the house I usually skip foundation and lipcolor because it'll rub off on the inside of the mask and feels grody.

One thing I don't skip is my skincare routine. I remove makeup with DHC oil cleanser and if I feel like double-cleansing, follow up with Drunk Elephant Beste cleanser, followed by eye cream/serum and either a vitamin C or dark spot serum and moisturizer.

I used to use Mac VGV IV and V, but I'm not familiar with III. It looks darker and more opaque than the shades I've tried. Are dark lip colors your speed? It might be nice for Fall.

I used to wear make up daily before the pandemic, but the only thing I've been doing now is filling in my eyebrows if I remember to. I don't want to wear make up and then get it all over the mask I need to wear when I go out/to work. I always do skincare and spf.

I really miss wearning lipstick or lip gloss. That was always my favorite part of putting on make up. I think the MAC lipstick is a nice color and looks wearable for every day. Have you tried the virtual try on on MAC's website? I've been doing that a lot lately to see how lip colors would look on me since we can't physically go to stores now.

• Love
Reactions: 880
I used to wear make up daily before the pandemic, but the only thing I've been doing now is filling in my eyebrows if I remember to. I don't want to wear make up and then get it all over the mask I need to wear when I go out/to work. I always do skincare and spf.

I really miss wearning lipstick or lip gloss. That was always my favorite part of putting on make up. I think the MAC lipstick is a nice color and looks wearable for every day. Have you tried the virtual try on on MAC's website? I've been doing that a lot lately to see how lip colors would look on me since we can't physically go to stores now.
that would require having a picture of me that I like.....

I wear eyeliner and perfume and try to dress half normal half casual (means upper body pretty pieces, lower body home jogger pants or yoga pants :P). So I feel pretty and not neglected (by myself :P). I have the feeling you are more motivated that way.

My country of residence has been on lockdown for 6 weeks (since March 16), and I haven't worn a stitch of makeup since. I washed all my brushes in the days following the government's announcement that we were going on lockdown, because I knew I wouldn't be wearing any makeup. I love being cozy and comfortable at home, and I pack on the skincare day and night; I figured if ever there were a time to really take care of my skin, it would be now.

Our Unions' Make-up Department has taken this pandemic opportunity to educate us Members once every couple of weeks on new sanitation protocols and procedures that will be in full effect when we resume filming long after the pandemic is over and quarantines that have been lifted. Such as:

- No more fingers and no more back of hands.
- Gloves, masks and booties at all times.
- After cleaning brushes and tools they need to be autoclaved.
- More use of sponges.
- Finals that used to take seconds, will now take tens-of-minutes. (There is an entire detailed procedure on this)
- No more compact powders for back ground performers. Only for Principle and day player actors.
- There is talk of phasing out brushes all together and using disposables such as q-tips, cotton pads, sponges, blot papers, and applicators.
- There is also talk of purchasing 10 to 20 times the amount of brushes each MuA already has in their inventory
- Air brushing will be standard procedure.
- Disinfecting mirrors, chairs, capes, tools, make-up, and make-up stations between actors.
- Limit the amount of people in the make-up trailer at any given time, including actor holding areas.
And this is just for starters.

The good thing is that our president of the Make-up Department is in regular contact with the membership with links to educational seminars and resources, whether it be make-up related, or financial or mental support related.