Netflix’s Tiger King

I’ll just put this out there: I don’t really care if Carol killed her husband and fed him to her tigers.

She wasn’t wrong to sue Joe. If someone who taunted me and made various threats online launched a company with my company name and added “entertainment” to it, you better believe I would sue them and ruin them financially too.

I’ll just put this out there: I don’t really care if Carol killed her husband and fed him to her tigers.

She wasn’t wrong to sue Joe. If someone who taunted me and made various threats online launched a company with my company name and added “entertainment” to it, you better believe I would sue them and ruin them financially too.
She definitely had a right to sue because he was dumb enough to do those things and fall into the trap that she set for him but Carole has her own wrongs that she needs to account for.

She comes down on Joe for treating tigers bad, stopped his money when he was traveling across the country although she seems to be no better when it comes to using tigers for income and entertainment. She doesn’t even pay her employees. The only difference I see, is the fact she doesn’t breed them. And as far as treating tigers bad, she treats humans terribly. The way she treated the children of her husband, refused to give them anything of worth when she inherited all of his things and then threatened to sue them to make them stay quite about it?! Carole has no morale high ground to stand on.

Carole doesn’t buy, sell or breed animals, that puts her very far apart from what Joe, Doc Antle etc did.
Lots of animal organizations use volunteers, Joe didn’t pay his employees either and treated them horribly - the fact that most of them testified against him (included John Finlay) at his trial speaks volumes.
I’m glad Carole stopped Joe breeding tigers just so he could travel mall to mall to charge people for holding a baby that was most likely dragged away from its Mother.
Carole is not perfect but far from the monster Joe is, I hope he rots in jail!

Reactions: Gimmethebag
Carole doesn’t buy, sell or breed animals, that puts her very far apart from what Joe, Doc Antle etc did.
Lots of animal organizations use volunteers, Joe didn’t pay his employees either and treated them horribly - the fact that most of them testified against him (included John Finlay) at his trial speaks volumes.
I’m glad Carole stopped Joe breeding tigers just so he could travel mall to mall to charge people for holding a baby that was most likely dragged away from its Mother.
Carole is not perfect but far from the monster Joe is, I hope he rots in jail!
No, she doesn’t have to breed them because all of animals are free. It is all profit for Carole with only expenses for food and maintenance of the tigers, I’m sure she receives donations for. Why doesn’t she work to reintegrate the tigers back into the wild of their own natural habitat if she cares so much. There are people that do that. Carole even joked how she doesn’t know the people who volunteer for her until they rise to a certain level. Who jokes about that or have the nerve to admit?

Joe did Pat his employees, although low wages and provided them a home albeit in near squalor but it’s more than Carole does. Carole’s whole business depends on people like Joe, otherwise she would have no free tigers given to her for people to pay for to hawk at and plan parties like a zoo.

Reactions: rubycat
No, she doesn’t have to breed them because all of animals are free. It is all profit for Carole with only expenses for food and maintenance of the tigers, I’m sure she receives donations for. Why doesn’t she work to reintegrate the tigers back into the wild of their own natural habitat if she cares so much. There are people that do that. Carole even joked how she doesn’t know the people who volunteer for her until they rise to a certain level. Who jokes about that or have the nerve to admit?

Joe did Pat his employees, although low wages and provided them a home albeit in near squalor but it’s more than Carole does. Carole’s whole business depends on people like Joe, otherwise she would have no free tigers given to her for people to pay for to hawk at and plan parties like a zoo.

Most of the animals she gets are already declawed and have been horribly treated and couldn’t possibly ever survive back in the wild. They are given to her sanctuary to take care of after being given up or rescued by animal authorities.
I’ve read a lot of experiences from past employees of both organizations and Carole does have volunteers (interns) she also has paid employees and on sight housing. Joe’s past employees have said the series doesn’t even show the tip of the iceberg on how horrible he was to them and the animals, I’ve never read that about
Carole? I couldn’t care less that she doesn’t know the names of volunteers, it’s how the animals are treated that I care about.
Carole joined with PETA originally to go after Joe because of how he was treating animals and was cross breeding them (specifically lions and tigers). He literally was just breeding animals to make money by letting people hold and take pics with them.
Caroles sanctuary is a no touch facility, the employees aren’t allowed to touch or be in the animal compounds. There is no breeding, selling or buying and people don’t pay to pet or pose for pics with the animals.
If Carole’s sanctuary had no cats to house and disappeared I would be thrilled, that would mean no more big cats being rescued from people who have no business having big cats in their possession in the first place

Most of the animals she gets are already declawed and have been horribly treated and couldn’t possibly ever survive back in the wild. They are given to her sanctuary to take care of after being given up or rescued by animal authorities.
I’ve read a lot of experiences from past employees of both organizations and Carole does have volunteers (interns) she also has paid employees and on sight housing. Joe’s past employees have said the series doesn’t even show the tip of the iceberg on how horrible he was to them and the animals, I’ve never read that about
Carole? I couldn’t care less that she doesn’t know the names of volunteers, it’s how the animals are treated that I care about.
Carole joined with PETA originally to go after Joe because of how he was treating animals and was cross breeding them (specifically lions and tigers). He literally was just breeding animals to make money by letting people hold and take pics with them.
Caroles sanctuary is a no touch facility, the employees aren’t allowed to touch or be in the animal compounds. There is no breeding, selling or buying and people don’t pay to pet or pose for pics with the animals.
If Carole’s sanctuary had no cats to house and disappeared I would be thrilled, that would mean no more big cats being rescued from people who have no business having big cats in their possession in the first place
What about the ones that haven’t been declawed? I just find it hard to believe none can be re-integrated back into the wild. If she does have paid employees and onsite housing then I was wrong and will admit that. Yes, I do believe Joe was terrible to his tigers and I don’t condone the act of cross breeding but I still don’t put Carole in a higher place. I never said she allows touching of her animals but neither does a zoo for the most part and that is essentially what she has.

The government should definitely outlaw possession of big cats for the safety of the cats and the people who purchase them.

Reactions: chowlover2
What about the ones that haven’t been declawed? I just find it hard to believe none can be re-integrated back into the wild. If she does have paid employees and onsite housing then I was wrong and will admit that. Yes, I do believe Joe was terrible to his tigers and I don’t condone the act of cross breeding but I still don’t put Carole in a higher place. I never said she allows touching of her animals but neither does a zoo for the most part and that is essentially what she has.

The government should definitely outlaw possession of big cats for the safety of the cats and the people who purchase them.

Sadly it is nearly impossible to integrate captive born or raised animals back into the wild :sad:
That’s why when zoos do close the animals are given to sanctuaries to live out their lives. It’s sad but I guess the animals don’t know any other life.
I loved that the 2 gorillas Joe kept for 10 years in tiny cages were given to a sanctuary in Florida and seemed “happy” to have that big space to live in. I think that’s the only part of the series that made me smile ( the rest depressed me )

Sadly it is nearly impossible to integrate captive born or raised animals back into the wild :sad:
That’s why when zoos do close the animals are given to sanctuaries to live out their lives. It’s sad but I guess the animals don’t know any other life.
I loved that the 2 gorillas Joe kept for 10 years in tiny cages were given to a sanctuary in Florida and seemed “happy” to have that big space to live in. I think that’s the only part of the series that made me smile ( the rest depressed me )
I’ve read about groups working on programs to increase the survival of captive animals back into the wild. They are working on different techniques. I hope Carole is involved with that or working with those groups.

Reactions: slang

No offense, but I don't think you know how places like this work. I have a friend who works for the zoo here and she supports what Carole is doing and claims everything she knows about her is on the up and up. The show def painted her as shady and almost similar to Joe. She is nothing like him, nor is BCR like Joe's cat farm. Here's a post by someone who actually worked there. Maybe that will help illuminate how things actually work there.

No offense, but I don't think you know how places like this work. I have a friend who works for the zoo here and she supports what Carole is doing and claims everything she knows about her is on the up and up. The show def painted her as shady and almost similar to Joe. She is nothing like him, nor is BCR like Joe's cat farm. Here's a post by someone who actually worked there. Maybe that will help illuminate how things actually work there.

That is not how non-profits work. They have a budget just like every other business. Do they receive grants and donations? Of course, but that is in addition to their own budget and revenue which Carole has. A paid staff of 12 is hardly enough to sustain a business of that magnitude so again she is benefiting greatly from free labor. A $50 weekly stipend is peanuts and on-site housing, while great is easily sustainable with the occasional maintenance. If the volunteers are happy then fine. Yes, non-profits usually have volunteers but not at this magnitude so that’s not a fair comparison.

As far as the cats go, their future, and well-being? I concede that the post you attached shed light on how they are treated and what goes on. Thank you.

That is not how non-profits work.

BCR IS a registered non-profit, so I'm not sure where you're coming from trying to say that's not how non-profits work.
"BCR is 100% a real, bona-fide, non-profit sanctuary accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries."

Evidently you're intent on painting her in a negative light, even though there's plenty of evidence to show the opposite. So I'll bow out of this.

BCR IS a registered non-profit, so I'm not sure where you're coming from trying to say that's not how non-profits work.
"BCR is 100% a real, bona-fide, non-profit sanctuary accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries."

Evidently you're intent on painting her in a negative light, even though there's plenty of evidence to show the opposite. So I'll bow out of this.
I’m not understanding why you are taking this so personal. I thought this was a discussion and was responding to your response to me.

I never said she wasn’t a non-profit. I spoke to the overt use of volunteers for her non-profit and the excuse made for relying so heavily on them and using it not to pay to have a bigger and obviously needed staff. I digress if my responses upset you though. Have a good day.

I’m not understanding why you are taking this so personal. I thought this was a discussion and was responding to your response to me.

I never said she wasn’t a non-profit. I spoke to the overt use of volunteers for her non-profit and the excuse made for relying so heavily on them and using it not to pay to have a bigger and obviously needed staff. I digress if my responses upset you though. Have a good day.

I came back to add to my post, but you already replied....

You said "That's not how non-profits work" after I proved they were a non-profit to you....so yes, that IS how a non-profit works. In other words, you're incorrect in your statement. Here's how much Carole and her husband are pocketing.

upload_2020-4-17_14-32-36.png

Almost 88% of their revenue goes back into the org to take care of the animals and related expenses. 5.5% goes towards their salaries. That percentage is very low and gives them an A rating for admin expenses.
So how little do they have to make until you feel she's not getting paid too much? $40k/year? $20k/year?

I'm not taking it personal at all, nor am I upset. I'm simply correcting you on your erroneous assumptions and claims.

I came back to add to my post, but you already replied....

You said "That's not how non-profits work" after I proved they were a non-profit to you....so yes, that IS how a non-profit works. In other words, you're incorrect in your statement. Here's how much Carole and her husband are pocketing.

View attachment 4711855

Almost 88% of their revenue goes back into the org to take care of the animals and related expenses. 5.5% goes towards their salaries. That percentage is very low and gives them an A rating for admin expenses.
So how little do they have to make until you feel she's not getting paid too much? $40k/year? $20k/year?

I'm not taking it personal at all, nor am I upset. I'm simply correcting you on your erroneous assumptions and claims.
No, that is how Carole runs her non-profit. You do know there are many and various non-profits around the world, right? Non-profits serve various needs and agendas. Again, I never said Carole was not a non-profit but if that is how she wants to run hers and the volunteers are happy, then good for them. It doesn’t affect me one way or the other but please know there are people that work in non-profits, this have a good idea of the basic financial structure.

As a person that works in finance, this tells me nothing. I would need to see actual accounting statements, including revenue statements and an audit of the revenue and how it is used to offset the expenses and her profit ratio. Until who is getting paid too much? I never said anyone was getting paid too much. I spoke about how the volunteers, which are many, aren’t getting paid at all. But I think you are too close to this and obviously taking it very personal so I want to just drop it altogether. Like I said, this doesn’t affect me one way or the other. I’m just a casual viewer.