How to treat/protect from corner wear on caviar leather?

Hello Ladies,

What do you guys use to touch up your Chanel bags? I use to use the meltonian shoe cream in the black color to use on my black caviar jumbo but they have been discontinued. Any recommendation on what I should use now?

I've never tried this on Chanel but I've heard good things about Saphir creme surfine. But first I would try conditioner. Usually conditioner used regularly keeps a bag from losing color.

We all know that over time the grains of the caviar leather can wear out and get smoothed out, especially on corners of our bags. Are there ways to prevent or slow this from happening?

So, I just bought a pre-loved Coco Handle in navy caviar leather and noticed that the corners are a little worn and starting to get that smoothed out look. This makes me a little scared of using the bag. I'm just imagining worst case scenarios like it will wear further and the color will wear out, and with it being navy, it would be harder to color match and dye back. I have a few Chanels in caviar leather but I've bought them new and have been obsessed about keeping them looking new, and luckily haven't had to deal with corner wear issues. Coco Handle also seems to be one of the worse offenders on corner wear, since its corners are kind of "folded under."

I'm really curious, what do you do to keep your bags from getting corner wear? What are your experiences on corner wears? Do the colors start to wear off easily once the caviar gets that smoothed-out look? Are there any protective product that will help prevent this issue?

And I know.. I need to just get over it and use the bag like normal...

such as caviar where the leather is flatten or not shiny? Is there any products out there that will make it looks a little better & restore the shine in the caviar leather? OR should I just leave it and let it be? My bag is brand new & never used and I just noticed it after the 14 days return period. :doh::-s:annoyed: I am thinking that the leather may be defective that is why the caviar leather is flatten.

• Wow
Reactions: pursekitten
such as caviar where the leather is flatten or not shiny? Is there any products out there that will make it looks a little better & restore the shine in the caviar leather? OR should I just leave it and let it be? My bag is brand new & never used and I just noticed it after the 14 days return period. :doh::-s:annoyed: I am thinking that the leather may be defective that is why the caviar leather is flatten.

That's so disappointing! I'm sorry you ran into such a problem after buying a completely new bag. But don't worry, if the imperfections are just surface scratches/scuffs and no leather is missing your bag could be fine. You could try a silicon-free leather conditioner/moisturizer and thoroughly buff the areas first. Then, if you need something more you can recolor the area with something like a color-depositing black balm. I describe the process for removing scratches and scuffs from my vintage lambskin classic flap in this post and add more product info in this post. Before and after photos below. You really have to buff, buff, buff after every step but the shiny result is worthwhile.

Good luck with your bag! :heart:

Before and After - Front

DSC_0070_2.JPGDSC_0313-wm.jpg

Before and After - Top

DSC_0097.JPGDSC_0321.JPG

I have a caviar card holder, carefully used less than 5x and the corners are already starting to show wear. Any recommendations? Chanel’s quality has really gone downhill these couple of years. :sad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
Is it normal for the caviar grains on non-black coloured classic flaps to flatten/smooth out on the corners, particularly where the corner stitching is? Will regular wear cause loss of the caviar grains? Appreciate any feedback, thanks!