Will you buy a Louis Vuitton with your stimulus check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the criteria, I won’t be receiving one but if I did, I would never feel right using it to put towards a frivolous item. A stimulus check, in my mind, is to help people stay afloat or bridge a gap in income - NOT for luxury items. As @mrsinsyder mentioned, it would be going to the small businesses that need it more than ever to get back on their feet.
One part of the stimulus check is to promote spending to keep businesses afloat. It doesn't matter if that business is a mom and pop shop, your local farmers market vendors, or a luxery store.

...this is appalling. I don’t think my family qualifies for a stimulus check. However, even if we did, if it was used on anything other than bills, it would be used to support local businesses and restaurants in my area that are being damaged with being shut down.
I've always supported local businesses and still do.
I totally agree with the comments above. If you don’t need the stimulus check why not save it, give to someone in need, or use in your local community. Now is not the time for frivolous spending. And posting about buying a purse with the check while people are suffering is incomprehensible!
Who said I'm spending it all? Who said I'm not saving it?

Reactions: sandicat3
How about supporting a local consignment store and buy a preloved bag? That way you are helping a local business and a consignor at least.
I've already been researching that. That was actually my first thought. To spend so much money on a handbag, I want to make sure of its authenticity. I understand there are people who can authenticate but I need to know for myself that it is real. I have looked into posts where people have receipts as well to prove the authenticity.

So tacky...I can’t believe it. I live in Canada so not getting a cheque but follow American news. Are you seriously asking this question - the reason for the stimulus is to help the shutdown economy because we want to prevent people from dying!!!

Wow. Just wow.
The underlying reason is due to the virus. You are correct. Since I'm an American, in America we are considered a capitalist country. Therefore the economy drives everything. Hence why the government wants people to spend. I hate this whole pandemic happened. If it didn't happen would I still be able to buy a luxury item yes.

Reactions: missconvy
Even though this thread got crazy, it was a great distraction whilst working from home! It’s not that serious! [emoji846]
I agree. I was just so shocked that many people that post on this forum to share what many of their friends and peers deem frivolous spending, and converse about their purchases away from judgement would be so uptight and judgy (yes I made up that word lol). Talk about a verbal beat down/lashing! You would think the OP asked was it right to sacrifice her first born for a neonoe lol.

From what I have read on this Thread only the OP & another two Members are eligible to receive a check so far? This just reminds me of FB & IG with everyone posting their latest purchases. Everyone is living the high life & has no debt. I don't believe it for a minute. You don't own a house when there is a mortgage on it (the lender/bank does) nor do you own your car(s) if they are under fiance (fiance/lease company does). It can ALL get taken away when you don't pay back the money you borrowed. And lets not forget about CC & limits on those.

Thank you everyone that has replied to this thread. For those that will read this post in the future I wanted to say that I live on a one income household so all of the money that I have made since marrying my husband in 2013 has gone to savings and our sons tuition. Everyone has a financial thing that they like to spend their money on. Mine is furnishing my home with nice quality pieces and collecting art. I love Purseforum as I look at handbags as an art in a way. I made this post to see if others were going to purchase a designer handbag if we get the stimulus check. This post was not meant to be crude, crass, or insulting to those who can't afford it. Yes, I am an educator who makes around $60,000 a year. My profession should not have anything to do with how I handle my finances. I know some college mates of mine who work in high corporate jobs and in the health field as doctors and their credit is horrible and their in major debt. I have been blessed with a husband who has sound wisdom with our finances. If I could not afford a Louis Vuitton or any other designer bag, I would not even be looking at it. I didn't think I had to explain myself about a purchase that I wanted to make but I also know that people will judge you without knowing the full story. I welcome all opinions and posts on this thread. Thank you.

From this post, you are very articulate and obviously intelligent. Your first post was somewhat blunt and I am sure if you re-read it, you will see why you got so many negative reactions. This situation is putting pressure on everyone worldwide and reactions are more snappy if it appears someone is being frivolous. You seem sensible with your finances however so I am sure you will make a choice that is right for you.

My husband and I actually discussed how the people who really need the stimulus are going to blow it on frivolous things when they need to save, invest, pay bills etc.
This. Is what I was trying to say earlier today. That is all.

I’ve wandered back here out of boredom. At the end of the day, I hope you buy whatever you want OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.