Will you buy a Louis Vuitton with your stimulus check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vast majority of people receiving this check are going to spend in a similar fashion as the OP. While this may be a troll post, I think it speaks volumes about the American mindset. I can’t wait to see what those idiots in Florida on spring break spend theirs on.

My husband and I actually discussed how the people who really need the stimulus are going to blow it on frivolous things when they need to save, invest, pay bills etc. I’m fortunate to not have to worry about those things and thank God everyday I chose to marry a man who is financially wise. This is my first post, I wasn’t trying to troll. To be honest, I don’t even know what trolling is.

I have never purchased a designer handbag. I have always dedicated extra money towards my home. I think I may purchase the monogram petite Noe when I get the stimulus check that we are supposed to get. Are you ladies or men saving your stimulus or buying a designer handbag?

Last edited:
Many people in this thread are confusing unemployment (which is money given to people who have lost their jobs or had reduced hours) and a stimulus check.

The current stimulus package beefs up unemployment benefits to those who are in rough financial spots. Please see here to see how umployment benefits have been exapnded: https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-stimulus-package-questions-answers.html

The goal of the stimulus checks are not to help the unemployed or underemployed. If that was the case, they would only be sent to those who have hit financial hardship.

The goal of these checks is to stimulate the economy with more consumer spending. This puts money in business's pockets, which allows them to hire or retain workers.

I know I'm repeating myself, but this isn't a matter of opinion. Unemployment and stimulus checks are, quite factually, two different policy tools to achieve two different things. There's no ambiguity.

EDIT: I want to add, the goal of these checks is to create a kind of self perpetuating cycle of economic activity. I spend my stimulus check at Bob's Restaurant, he retains his employee, she buys a handbag at Nordstrom, Nordstrom adds hours to an employee's timesheets to fulfill the order, that employee buys something on Etsy from a creator, that creator buys... etc. The checks are supposed to be the seed to start the ball rolling. In reality, as Vlad and others have pointed out, spending at a place like Nordstrom may be less impactful, since those large corporations won't pump money back into employees' pockets at the same rate as a small business. But, it is still in the spirit of the stimulus check to do so.
Came through with facts! I love it! I want you on my imaginary debate team lol.

My husband and I actually discussed how the people who really need the stimulus are going to blow it on frivolous things when they need to save, invest, pay bills etc. I’m fortunate to not have to worry about those things and thank God everyday I chose to marry a man who is financially wise. This is my first post, I wasn’t trying to troll. To be honest, I don’t even know what trolling is.

Welcome to your first thread on TPF - glad to have you. And pardon the sometimes cynical tone here, this sub-forum sadly gets its fair share of trolls at times, those that post controversial contents for the sake of stirring the pot and getting a rise out of people. :tup:

I’m glad you came back OP. I don’t post often but I would like to welcome you.

It’s not apaklin
...this is appalling. I don’t think my family qualifies for a stimulus check. However, even if we did, if it was used on anything other than bills, it would be used to support local businesses and restaurants in my area that are being damaged with being shut down.
Its not appalling it’s a question. I already have contributed to online live patronage of the businesses here and will continue to do so.

I’m all for helping people that need it for real reasons, but a luxury bag? Really? This makes me wonder how many people will be spending their government money on unnecessary things and not what that check was intended for.

Based on what I’ve read, I won’t be getting any government money, but if I did, I wouldn’t be spending it on a bag or anything else so unnecessary. That’s so irresponsible and reprehensible.
Hello. I’m not an irresponsible person. I never told anyone anything about my finances because I didn’t think I had to. Also, I didn’t say whether I was using $100 of it and adding it to what I set aside or if I was using the whole thing. A stimulus is money that is provided to be use to boost the economy with spending. If all of my bills are paid, I have multiple investments, my one child with my husband is taking care, and we have savings. To take out only $250 and add it to what I have been putting to the side is not irresponsible.

I look at these check this way, all the hard hours I put into my job and every payday received with the tax taken out of my paystubs I contribute to our society, I got some more money back to me with addition to my tax return.
OP you may choose whichever way you desire with the debate check. Most of us will do what we see best fit to put used of this check. Whether for frivolous things or not.

I do qualify myself, perhaps I will take advantage of launching a online shop to make additional more income instead of putting that money into luxury goods when I can use my tax return plus my income I make for a luxury purchase. Either way I am waiting until this whole situation calms down where retail can reopen back to normal.

I’m not getting one, but no, if I did I’d spend it with local businesses and restaurants.
That's awesome!

Based on the criteria, I won’t be receiving one but if I did, I would never feel right using it to put towards a frivolous item. A stimulus check, in my mind, is to help people stay afloat or bridge a gap in income - NOT for luxury items. As @mrsinsyder mentioned, it would be going to the small businesses that need it more than ever to get back on their feet.
Thanks for your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: keodi
Hello. I’m not an irresponsible person. I never told anyone anything about my finances because I didn’t think I had to. Also, I didn’t say whether I was using $100 of it and adding it to what I set aside or if I was using the whole thing. A stimulus is money that is provided to be use to boost the economy with spending. If all of my bills are paid, I have multiple investments, my one child with my husband is taking care, and we have savings. To take out only $250 and add it to what I have been putting to the side is not irresponsible.

Hi, I apologize for my reaction. Got caught up in the moment! I don’t know anything about you and rushed to judgments.

Hope we can all just enjoy LV, and I don’t need to know where people get their money to fund it!

I totally agree with the comments above. If you don’t need the stimulus check why not save it, give to someone in need, or use in your local community. Now is not the time for frivolous spending. And posting about buying a purse with the check while people are suffering is incomprehensible!
Hello. People suffer all of the time. This post was not meant for people who are suffering. This post was meant for people that know they can afford to spend money on whatever item they want. I was not trying to be cynical nor not compassionate. People come on here 24/7 posting about their purchases on their wants while there are thousands of homeless people each year roaring the streets, animals in shelters tho need to be adopted, children who need to be adopted through foster care etc. The list goes on on. Yet, throughout all of these sufferings that happen, this blog yet thrives and people like you still log on during these tough times. Shalom.

Status
Not open for further replies.