How do we disinfect our handbags and wallets?

MaryAndDogs

Jan 25, 2015
I live in a new epicentre for this awful virus. So, I am trying to basically drown the virus in soap and hot water every time I go outside. Some strong alcohol might also be involved :biggrin: Involving external and internal applications. Huh. :biggrin:

But what do you do with your handbags and wallets? How do we disinfect them effectively? Any ideas? Would 80% rubbing alcohol be safe on Hermes leather?

I live in a new epicentre for this awful virus. So, I am trying to basically drown the virus in soap and hot water every time I go outside. Some strong alcohol might also be involved :biggrin: Involving external and internal applications. Huh. :biggrin:

But what do you do with your handbags and wallets? How do we disinfect them effectively? Any ideas? Would 80% rubbing alcohol be safe on Hermes leather?
I would just leave the good stuff at home. I am basically wearing things that can be washed. Or sucks but it’s probably safest.

I'm not sure I would try alcohol on any Hermes leather
Perhaps Docride in one of her threads might have addressed this subject . Perhaps do a search
Many of the H stores are closed but I am going to text my SA as you propose an interesting question that
hopefully will be answered

don't use alcohol on leather. you'll strip it.

I disinfect my phone everyday with 80% alcohol. Same for headphones. They are all still working at this point. Not sure if it lasts...My dogs' feet get wiped off every time we're outside. I spray-disinfect every door handle and every light switch. But who knows...I have just retired my croc wallets entirely. I guess, I will have to put my handbags in storage too...

Things are getting serious here. No face masks anywhere. I've just paid eur 30 for 1 liter rubbing alcohol (80%) disinfectant. On the other hand, parks are full, playgrounds are packed. Maybe the sauerkraut is keeping everyone healthy but I cannot rub it all over my Birkins, can I? :biggrin:

Who's touching your bag but you? You're disinfected, right? Hands washed and sanitized? Credit cards cleaned off if anyone else touched them? No one sneezing on your bag?
You could run a Lexol wipe over the bag if you really want but alcohol? (I concur with internal alcohol use :biggrin:).

Leather is porous, so you can’t fully disinfect it, plus disinfectants like alcohol would be bad for the leather. Probably best to wrap handles in twillies.

A thought I had was maybe UV light? But I don’t know if that would cause damage to the color do the leather with the light.
UV light will kill virus, bacteria, mold etc... but I don’t have a UV light laying around lol although I wish I did!!! Buuuuut the sun’s Natural rays will kill it too!! So if you have some sun maybe put your things out for an hour... (no more because long term sun on handbags may be a no no?) but the sun will kill everything.

Reactions: Notorious Pink