Sale for Chanel employees. Does such thing exist?

june79

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
I found a bag on resale market which I wanted to get. The seller claimed it to be authentic and said that she got it with a a discount on private sale for Chanel employees. I got a bit suspicious as the bag she is selling is from classic collection (that is Coco Envelope flap) and there shouldn't be any discounts on classics.
The girl swore to death that the bag was authentic and she got it as a Chanel employee BUT it didn't have any authenticity sticker which I think proves that the bag is fake
So my question is there any Chanel private sales for bags?
And also I really want to know could modern bags have no sticker or does this automatically means that the bag is fake?

No idea about the authenticity of the bag you’re referring to, but I have a good friend that works for a national high end retail dept store and they have access to Chanel twice yearly at massive discounts. Typically it’s seasonal bags, belts and shoes but she has a few pieces that are relatively classic. No idea about boutique or direct Chanel employees.
They are stamped and recorded and if found to be resold, the employee will be fired.

I'm curious, though.
If the hypothetical employee buys an item under those conditions, uses it for a year, decides they no longer want it and resell it, while still working for that same store. Would they be fired then? I mean, they clearly didn't purchase the item with the intent to flip it, and since they do own it, it's theirs to dispose of it however they see fit, including selling it and maybe even at a higher price than they originally paid for it thanks to the discount. Would something like that get them into trouble with their employer?

Reactions: truelvoe
Yes for sure! At this particular dept store the employees buy tickets for the sales event, everyone doesn't get access every time, it's like a lottery!

• Love
Reactions: RT1
My bosses daughter-in-law works for Chanel taking incoming calls. For Christmas she picked up a Beige Tote for $500AUD for her mother in law. From memory the tote looked very similar to this with no strap or quilting in Beige colour. He was telling me the perks of working for Chanel and for their 10th year employment, they get a free trip to Paris to visit head office there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200220-080934.jpg
    Screenshot_20200220-080934.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 760
In the U.K. the staff sale takes place every September and will typically feature items from 3/4 years prior. Items included in the sale have a special sticker denoting that the item is from a staff sale. My friend, who owns a resale shop in London, has turned away items from CHANEL staff as they are not allowed to sell items purchased in the sale. In addition, my friend runs the risk of being sued by CHANEL.

Good to know! Still wondering though if there's a tell-tale sign a bag WAS bought through an employee sale? @Swanky mentioned a stamp, so maybe on the inside of the bag you see a "Not for re-sale" stamp?

OP mentioned no authenticity sticker, but we obviously don't know if the bag in question is authentic. I wonder if Chanel would remove the sticker from bags for employee sales because they'd need to record so they can then chase down the employee if they re-sale?

As well I have heard the same not just boutiques but department stores as well ie Holt Renfrew in Canada. If found out you are fired and the employer could sue you (probably a clause in the employment contract). I have heard from a few that the stores even hire PI’s posing as buyers of such goods to look thru Kijiji ads and other platforms to find items and if they are able to trace it back to an employee that brought at a discount. I also hear the shop keeps track of the employees sizes for shoes, clothes etc and there is no discount if you buy outside your size so technically no you cannot purchase an item as a gift even.