Vintage Hermès better quality?

There is something quite amusing because this conversation is a constant for every brand, on every forum. I really think we look at the past with rose-colored glasses.
I agree with you and really don't know why- because when I look at vintage fashion photos, I cannot help thinking how uncomfortable everyone was tottering around with squished toes in high heels, and wearing dresses and jackets that just seem quite restrictive. Heavy bags too and unwieldy suitcases.

I agree with you and really don't know why- because when I look at vintage fashion photos, I cannot help thinking how uncomfortable everyone was tottering around with squished toes in high heels, and wearing dresses and jackets that just seem quite restrictive. Heavy bags too and unwieldy suitcases.
LOL I almost thought you were talking about today - with the 5 inch heels, spanx, and high waisted everything.

Do you have new season box to compare it? I have a 90's green box which looks too beautiful for words, but nothing later to compare it with.

Some of the Box around 2011 had stratifications and was quite soft. However, I saw a Sac a Depeches a couple of years later (PO at Christmas) at the time of 'no Box available' and it was fine.

Look at the Box nerd thread for further info. It all depends on how you like your Box. '90s is typically very nice indeed (like my RH Bolide).

Reactions: keodi
I last compared it to new box about 4-5 years ago in NYC. It's not the patina (but that does help!), it's just a finer grained leather. I think getting really fine box leather in any brand is hard today.

I agree.
It's not nostalgia if you have the actual items in front of you for comparison. I also suppose there was less competition for suppliers in those days and H was trying to please a very exacting market. The inside leather of the 1940s bag above is so soft I thought at first it was doe leather (like that used for ladies gloves). Lovely hand but not exactly durable for everyday.

Reactions: Liberté and keodi

They had porters in those days, on trains as well as planes, now we're lucky if we can find a seat on a train. Most high heel shoes had extra padding under the metatarsal and some shoes had elastic at the top of the heel so they wouldn't slip off - and we're not only talking designer. Suits, shirts and skits were tailored to fit even if bought from dept stores. Look where elastic waists and lycra trousers have got us LOL.

LOL I almost thought you were talking about today - with the 5 inch heels, spanx, and high waisted everything.

They had porters in those days, on trains as well as planes, now we're lucky if we can find a seat on a train. Most high heel shoes had extra padding under the metatarsal and some shoes had elastic at the top of the heel so they wouldn't slip off - and we're not only talking designer. Suits, shirts and skits were tailored to fit even if bought from dept stores. Look where elastic waists and lycra trousers have got us LOL.

I agree but today you have a choice to dress well and be comfortable. Fashion is much broader. You can choose not to have spandex and 5 inch heels in your wardrobe, and instead keep your body in shape, wear leather trainers and a silk dress.

Reactions: papertiger
I am not disagreeing at all, but I would ask the question if the older Box is preferred because it has had twenty years or so to mature and develop that deep patina?
No , the leather is thicker and stiffer.
I agree but today you have a choice to dress well and be comfortable. Fashion is much broader. You can choose not to have spandex and 5 inch heels in your wardrobe, and instead keep your body in shape, wear leather trainers and a silk dress.
True but please note I meant them as extreme examples vs plucked out of my own life. I do agree it's a choice as fashion is a choice as beauty is both subjective and objective.

There's perceived choice.

I don't see the same attention to bags' interiors in detail and terms of organisation it's indicative of what we get used to, if it's not there, we can't choose it. Even the Victoria's travel tag was phased out. I don't remember H lowering the price of the newer Victorias. Likewise I don't see padding placed inside H heels.

I have H bags from the early 90s through now. I think the quality is the same but I also think some of the leathers/skins were arguably “better” in the past. I say that because some things were available then that aren’t any longer such as B35s in chèvre, relatively large bags in lizard etc. Sadly, we know why they’re not available any more. Environmental awareness also led to new regulations which affected the tanning industry. There was less concern about weight (or maybe the necessary technology was unavailable to thin hides) so most of my older Togo bags for instance are thicker and heavier. Also shinier because the tanning method was different. It’s not so much a quality difference as it is a necessary and inevitable evolution in the times. If it’s possible, my new bags look more refined to me than some of the older ones. Regardless, then and now, H represents the very best examples of handmade, beautiful, heirloom, human craftsmanship. And there is nothing, nothing!, like a brand new H bag.

I watched a yutuber comment on quality over Hermès and Chanel bags. She thinks quality on modern piece is Not as good as older piece. Do you agreed?
I don't think you can put Hermes and Chanel together in this. I am not an Hermes collector like others in this forum who would be able to give a more informed view, but I have Hermes bags ranging from the 1960s to 2019, and I think Hermes quality is consistently very high. There are things like them producing more bags in stamped leathers than heritage leathers nowadays, or how modern bags have less detail as @papertiger says, but that is about market demand more than anything...
With Chanel I do think there is a huge difference, specially with seasonal bags.

Reactions: ladysarah and keodi