Vintage Hermès better quality?

My bags range from 1940s to last year and I don't think the quality of the workmanship has declined but the details, features and degree of difficulty of pieces has (particularly on the interior of bags) i.e. can you imagine the price of a new Sac Mallette or a fully kitted out Pullman now?

My bags range from 1940s to last year and I don't think the quality of the workmanship has declined but the details, features and degree of difficulty of pieces has (particularly on the interior of bags) i.e. can you imagine the price of a new Sac Mallette or a fully kitted out Pullman now?

Posting about the Sac Mallette made me think of mine. Just went to the closet to take a peek
& in spite of not wearing for a bit of time, glad to have the old gal around
Maybe a good time now to take her out for a whirl

I’d love to see your Hermes circa 1940’s- pretty -please❤️

That is exactly what she said. So, it is pretty much for a lot of things now. Fast and quick, no time for details. Labor cost higher, cannot afford to have the craftsman to seat there all day to perfect their craft.

Leather is a natural material and does vary.
Just like man other things, there are enthusiasts who prefer bags dating from earlier periods.
There are Golden Ages when the quality of some of the hides and dyes are considered particularly good.
That is more mystique of bygone ages than hard facts.
There is no suggestion that the quality of bags constructed now is any less good than it was in the past.

However there does seem to be dissatisfaction with thequality of bags from the other fashion house you mentioned.

I do think vintage box leather is better than that available for the past 10-15 years. I know my 1973 black box retourne Kelly looks better!
Do you have new season box to compare it? I have a 90's green box which looks too beautiful for words, but nothing later to compare it with.