Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Hi rehabbers, first time poster in here, wish it was happier news. :sad:

I had an incident with my Tea Rose saddle in November and need some help. While doing a signing event one of my coworkers "shook" a silver Sharpie (https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-39108PP-Metallic-Permanent-Blister/dp/B00009RAX4) that was starting to run low on ink and it splashed all over his jacket and my bag. I scrubbed at it briefly at the event with some water and my finger and some of it scraped off the strap, but it's not something I want to repeat on the rest of it. I'm also worried about damaging the Tea Roses if I go at it too much.

What's the best way to return this back to normal?

IMG_6744.jpg IMG_6745.jpg IMG_6747.jpg IMG_6748.jpg

Dunked the green City bag yesterday. It was so so filthy dirty! :sick: DH said of all the bags I've ever washed, this was by far THE dirtiest one he's ever seen. I had to do a second soap bath for this bag! View attachment 4630916
I did mine about three times but am still not happy with it...the curl on one side of the flap is hacking me off. Might do another dunk later.
Its water was what we call in our house..Uggy!

Reactions: houseof999
I’ve got a 2002 Whitney Top Handle in black with no wear marks, just some dryness to the crossbody strap and top handle edges. But it’s mostly lost it’s shape, particularly the bottom has collapsed.

Is dunking and reshaping a lined bag from this era a wise idea? It is lined, and smooth lightweight leather, almost like Napa leather.

I’ve got a 2002 Whitney Top Handle in black with no wear marks, just some dryness to the crossbody strap and top handle edges. But it’s mostly lost it’s shape, particularly the bottom has collapsed.

Is dunking and reshaping a lined bag from this era a wise idea? It is lined, and smooth lightweight leather, almost like Napa leather.

Before dunking, I would stuff it with towels, apply a good conditioner like Leather CPR, and stand it in a warm damp place for a few days. The shape will improve.

I don't have experience with that particular type of leather lining, so please wait for other opinions on whether to dunk or not.

Reactions: simplyparticula
I wanted to thank everyone that gave me their input about the brass plaque on the Hasp. I will try my best and if it comes out OK, I will come to share the results, with details of the products and tools I used.
Wish me luck. LOL
Good luck! Even if it doesn't turn out I'm sure many of us would appreciate learning from your methods and results. Will you share regardless?

Hi rehabbers, first time poster in here, wish it was happier news. :sad:

I had an incident with my Tea Rose saddle in November and need some help. While doing a signing event one of my coworkers "shook" a silver Sharpie (https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-39108PP-Metallic-Permanent-Blister/dp/B00009RAX4) that was starting to run low on ink and it splashed all over his jacket and my bag. I scrubbed at it briefly at the event with some water and my finger and some of it scraped off the strap, but it's not something I want to repeat on the rest of it. I'm also worried about damaging the Tea Roses if I go at it too much.

What's the best way to return this back to normal?

View attachment 4630945 View attachment 4630946 View attachment 4630948 View attachment 4630949
It's a permanent marker so it isn't going to come off unless there is a special cleaner made for permanent marker. Even if there is, it is likely it will remove the leather dye as well. The best thing you can do is find some acrylic paint that matches and touch it up.

I dunked a 1998 Lexington satchel #4187, that is also lined. The creed practically disappeared. If you dunk, as soon as you take it out of the water and pat dry, use a hair dryer to dry the creed. They tend to oversoak up water in lined bags. The bag came out a little more wrinkled than I would have liked. That might have been my fault for being fairly new at rehabbing. With lined bags, I like to pull the lining out at first when it is drying to get it dry before putting it back in and stuffing the bag to the proper shape.

Reactions: simplyparticula
It's a permanent marker so it isn't going to come off unless there is a special cleaner made for permanent marker. Even if there is, it is likely it will remove the leather dye as well. The best thing you can do is find some acrylic paint that matches and touch it up.
When I worked in the lab we used Sharpies all the time to label glassware. We always used ethanol/methanol to take them off. As you said anything that would remove it would also remove dye from the leather. It would also do the the same if you used acetone (nail polish remover). You could try using very pointy q-tips dipped in acetone to remove the sharpie marks very carefully but you'd be risking removing finish and color the tearoses as well. So sorry this happened to your bag. :sad:

I didn't dunk the Carlyle, sorry if I gave that impression, but I have dunked a few of the Italian Coach Madison and Gramercy bags including a black Gramercy Zip, a red Madison Bristol Domed Satchel, and the Butter Madison Copley and French Wallet. These Italian bags are pretty tough and not as delicate as they appear.

I just give them a bath in Dawn and stuff them to start the drying process. I moisturize with Leather Therapy Restorer and Conditioner and polish the hardware.

They take a long, long, long time to dry - even after I remove the stuffing. If parts of the bag are drying faster than others (like the straps) I moisturize with Leather Therapy before they dry out.

The card slots in the butter French purse wallet were drying all stretched out and wavy, so I put plastic credit cards and gift cards in the slots to shape them while drying.

Below are pics of the butter Copley bag and wallet rehabs:

Butter Madison Copley
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/page-1169#post-32540096

Butter Madison French Purse:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/page-1169#post-32540108

Thanks for posting this! I have a beat up Butter Copley that I haven’t had the courage (or urge lol) to tackle. I think I’m going to get her started today. I just took pics to just resell it but I should give it a try since I got it for so cheap :smile:

Reactions: katev
I dunked a 1998 Lexington satchel #4187, that is also lined. The creed practically disappeared. If you dunk, as soon as you take it out of the water and pat dry, use a hair dryer to dry the creed. They tend to oversoak up water in lined bags. The bag came out a little more wrinkled than I would have liked. That might have been my fault for being fairly new at rehabbing. With lined bags, I like to pull the lining out at first when it is drying to get it dry before putting it back in and stuffing the bag to the proper shape.
Speaking of creeds fading...mine has almost disappeared in the Rambler..its still drying but do you think it will get better or is this it for the creed?20200106_072037.jpg