Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Which SVP and when will it be there?!

Love the Ergo Renaissance that's been happening here. I think she's such a great little bag. I picked one up at a Goodwill for $25 last year and liked it so much I got a slightly smaller one on eBay a couple months later. Oddly I don't like the smaller one as much because the handle drop is shorter and it's not as comfortable to wear. Hmm.
Lol! Is your smaller one the same style number as mine too?

Let's see... she's a 10743, and the Goodwill one I have been loving is a 11285. Neither are turnlocks so perhaps neither is a "true" XL?
Mine is 11285. I didn't know there was an even smaller one! I once bought a 10743 in much better condition but I sold it after trying to make it work for me. I didn't think it was very small. These bags aren't really my style. I am a satchel with crossbody kinda gal. I do love the look of the bags though!
ETA: I think the one @CoachMaven has is a completely different style number.

After looking at pictures and reading descriptions, I decided I wanted the 11285 instead of the 10743 because of the longer handle drop. I think these are not the XL because it's measurements are larger. Too big for me. Mine should come today and I hope it's as great as described. I'm not sure of the color whether it's like the two posted here recently or darker.

It arrived today. Very nice condition and spotless on the inside. Needs a bit of CPR and some rubbing to get out the few scratches but it is a beautiful bag. The color is perfect not too light or too dark. After having it in my hand I think I might like the XL size too. The bag is surprisingly light weight.

Should I dunk it? It seems pretty dry.

View attachment 4629844
View attachment 4629846
I dunked mine. It came out really nice. Love this bag, so lightweight.

I tried extremely hard to make an offer and get this bag before Jan 1st and my bag ban but it didn't happen. So I bid and won this legacy hippie 10325. No hangtag but maybe I can find a replacement some day. It's got verdigris but doesn't look too bad. Ended up paying $63 plus shipping but I am pretty happy with that as it looks in decent shape. Someone is trying to sell one for $475 on ebay.

This is the whiskey color correct?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone dunked a bag with a glued in registration? I am mulling over a listing for a red basic bag and I have two concerns - color fade for a bag of that time period, and whether it will do harm to the bag itself or the adhesive on the registration number strip. ETA: I found an earlier conversation where a couple of people said they dunked with no issue to the registration strip but I still am curious to the opinions of other posters on both of my concerns :smile:

Last edited:
Has anyone dunked a bag with a glued in registration? I am mulling over a listing for a red basic bag and I have two concerns - color fade for a bag of that time period, and whether it will do harm to the bag itself or the adhesive on the registration number strip. ETA: I found an earlier conversation where a couple of people said they dunked with no issue to the registration strip but I still am curious to the opinions of other posters on both of my concerns :smile:

I recently dunked a burgundy basic bag (nyc with glued in registration). Registration strip is fine and though the bath water turned a deep red, the bath actually fixed a lot of discoloured surface scratches on my bag (the scratches had turned a light brown for some reason). I’ve actually had to dunk the bag twice because I had left some toothpaste I used to clean off the verdigris on the zipper inside the bag. And the toothpaste did leave a white mark on the suede - since it’s inside the pocket and it’s my bag, I’m ok with it, but just be aware. Unfortunately I did not take before pictures but I am very pleased with the result.

I love the basic bag but just talked myself out of getting another one (a red one actually!). Please share pictures if you do get it! I still love looking at that bag!!

I've dunked them. In my experience the colors don't fade and are improved by dunking and conditioning.

I have seen bags from that era that were allowed to dry out past a certain point. They have an almost "crispy" look and the leather is cracked as well as faded. That's when you'd probably want to be careful about dunking.

The glued-in strips usually stay put, but even if they fall off, it's very easy to glue them back on with Fiebing's Leather Cement after the bath.

Hi Ladies, I need your help on two vintage coach rescue situations.
These bags are particularly bad.
First is this NYC bag. This bag has already been dunked, it was filthy and is much cleaner now. But notice the blackening on the corners, is that something that can be cleaned off with another dunking? Any ideas? I'm afraid to get it wet again because some color came off the first time. Or it could be just dirt. It also has a big scratch on one side I'd like to mitigate.IMG_9088_Fotor.jpgIMG_9094_Fotor.jpgIMG_9097_Fotor.jpg

I tried extremely hard to make an offer and get this bag before Jan 1st and my bag ban but it didn't happen. So I bid and won this legacy hippie 10325. No hangtag but maybe I can find a replacement some day. It's got verdigris but doesn't look too bad. Ended up paying $63 plus shipping but I am pretty happy with that as it looks in decent shape. Someone is trying to sell one for $475 on ebay.

This is the whiskey color correct?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
I think it is whiskey.

Reactions: redwood66
I recently dunked a burgundy basic bag (nyc with glued in registration). Registration strip is fine and though the bath water turned a deep red, the bath actually fixed a lot of discoloured surface scratches on my bag (the scratches had turned a light brown for some reason). I’ve actually had to dunk the bag twice because I had left some toothpaste I used to clean off the verdigris on the zipper inside the bag. And the toothpaste did leave a white mark on the suede - since it’s inside the pocket and it’s my bag, I’m ok with it, but just be aware. Unfortunately I did not take before pictures but I am very pleased with the result.

I love the basic bag but just talked myself out of getting another one (a red one actually!). Please share pictures if you do get it! I still love looking at that bag!!

I've dunked them. In my experience the colors don't fade and are improved by dunking and conditioning.

I have seen bags from that era that were allowed to dry out past a certain point. They have an almost "crispy" look and the leather is cracked as well as faded. That's when you'd probably want to be careful about dunking.

The glued-in strips usually stay put, but even if they fall off, it's very easy to glue them back on with Fiebing's Leather Cement after the bath.
Thanks! This is helpful!

Next is this duffel-type bag. This has pretty severe sun or water damage on the top 1/4 of the bag only. I have also lost the creed on this. The third picture is what is left of the very faint creed.
For the damaged leather part, I usually use blackrock leather n rich. But in this case the finish is gone so...?
I think the serial number is D5C-4140, or something similar.

Attachments

• IMG_9106_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_9106_Fotor.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9107_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_9107_Fotor.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9104_Fotor.jpg
    IMG_9104_Fotor.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 98
Next is this duffel-type bag. This has pretty severe sun or water damage on the top 1/4 of the bag only. I have also lost the creed on this. The third picture is what is left of the very faint creed.
For the damaged leather part, I usually use blackrock leather n rich. But in this case the finish is gone so...?
I think the serial number is D5C-4140, or something similar.
I think the finish is too far gone. Blackrock might help a little.