Is chanel Timeless Classic double flap worth it ?

candykitten

Mar 17, 2017
Hello everybody!

I'm 6 months pregnant and my super hubby want to gift me a new bag for my due date. He's sooo sweet

I was decided to get the timeless, it was on my bucket list for a long time and it's a beautiful occasion ... but some people got me confused about this purchase.

The bf of one of my good friend who's workin at Chanel say that he would never pay 5k for this bag now.. they sell ten bags per day and there is nothing classy in this bag anymore

My mother in law who has a big collection of handbags is sure that the quality of this bag is bad nowadays due to the high demand... I asked the chanel seller about it but he wasn't comfortable with the conversation... he only say that more bags are returned these days because of the demand... sounds logic but I'm confused.

To be honest i really want this bag. I don't care if it's not trendy anymore, or if it make me looking like a " basic" lol. It's my bag and nobody else need to deal with it !!

I'm more uncomfortable about the quality thing... i don't know if i need to got a preloved one who's in good condition... paying 5k swiss franc in a bag who is lower quality than the same model ten years ago makes me sick ...

The LV capucine is on my bucket list too... a lot of people told me that the quality is incredible...

Girls what do you think about it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Namwan-
hi OP! I’m confused by what you mean when you say “timeless”. Do you mean the classic flap or a timeless CC tote or some other bag? Sorry, can you please clarify.

If you're talking about the classic flap I think you should just get it. It's not really a trendy bag it's a classic piece imo. Unless you get it in a really funky color. I don't think the quality is that bad? I have a jumbo from 2007 and I just purchased anther one a month ago and I'd say the quality is pretty good still. Just be sure to pick one out in store and make sure it's up to your liking. That's weird how an SA said the bag isn't classy though.. Haha. Maybe he should work for a different brand

I understand what the SA means. My SA tried so hard to talk me out of buying the classic flap. She said it was so boring and common and you see them everywhere. She said there are better Chanel bags than the classic flap that are bit different but still classic and timeless. She talked me into getting the Trendy CC but I ended up going back and buying the classic flap as well! I think its a great bag to have in your collection because it’s THE iconic Chanel bag. I think when you’re working at Chanel and surrounded by all these beautiful bags, the classic flap would seem quite boring because they sell so many of them. I still wanted one though. It’s different if you don’t work in a Chanel boutique because you’re not seeing those bags on a daily basis.

I am pretty sure the Chanel SAs are encouraged to sell "other" trendy styles. A good quality classic flap will sell itself without any marketing efforts. Some of the seasonal/trendy pieces are more likely to be pushed by SAs.

This happens at other brands too...it's great to listen to your SA but important to make the decision for yourself in the end!

Hello everybody!

I'm 6 months pregnant and my super hubby want to gift me a new bag for my due date. He's sooo sweet

I was decided to get the timeless, it was on my bucket list for a long time and it's a beautiful occasion ... but some people got me confused about this purchase.

The bf of one of my good friend who's workin at Chanel say that he would never pay 5k for this bag now.. they sell ten bags per day and there is nothing classy in this bag anymore

My mother in law who has a big collection of handbags is sure that the quality of this bag is bad nowadays due to the high demand... I asked the chanel seller about it but he wasn't comfortable with the conversation... he only say that more bags are returned these days because of the demand... sounds logic but I'm confused.

To be honest i really want this bag. I don't care if it's not trendy anymore, or if it make me looking like a " basic" lol. It's my bag and nobody else need to deal with it !!

I'm more uncomfortable about the quality thing... i don't know if i need to got a preloved one who's in good condition... paying 5k swiss franc in a bag who is lower quality than the same model ten years ago makes me sick ...

The LV capucine is on my bucket list too... a lot of people told me that the quality is incredible...

Girls what do you think about it ?
I think you should go for the bag. It's a classic, timeless bag. My husband bought me my first Chanel bag earlier this year. I have 10 other LV bags and SLGs and 1 YSL, but this bag is super special to me and makes me so happy every time I wear it (which is almost every weekend haha). I still think quality is good, but I recommend that you inspect it carefully before purchasing it at the boutique. It's a popular bag and high in demand... with good reason. It's a staple in every girl's closet. I don't think this bag is "basic" at all. I always thought that basic means "mainstream" and screams "middle class".. for example, Uggs boots and Starbucks coffee. I don't think middle class can afford 5K bags, but this is just IMHO. The average woman wouldn't be able to spend 5K on a bag.

I say GO FOR IT! Don't let anyone dissuade you from getting the bag you want.

Reactions: ChanelCanuck
I say Just get it to tick off your list! Out of your system. Just inspect the bag thoroughly before making the purchase. Do not listen to your S.A. friend. If you get LV capucine now, chances are you will come back to get the classic flap next! LOL

I say Just get it to tick off your list! Out of your system. Just inspect the bag thoroughly before making the purchase. Do not listen to your S.A. friend. If you get LV capucine now, chances are you will come back to get the classic flap next! LOL
I agree with the above posts. It is classic for a reason It NEVER goes out of style. It is a coveted bag by young and old. You can dress it up or down. It looks just as good with jeans and a tee as it does with an cocktail dress. It is a must have staple. Yes I also agree quality has faded from the past but that is true for almost every brand out there. Geeze I had a HOBO Brand wallet I carried for 10 years its still in great condition, but the ones I see now are crappy cheap leather. I also think SA are "nudged" (NOT JUST AT CHANEL BUT IN ALL RETAIL ENVIRONMENTS) to sell trendy pieces so don't be dismayed from what you truly want. After all YOU will be carrying it NOT THEM!Good luck on your decision! Post pictures!

Reactions: af068 and Nerja
Hey i was talking about the classic double flap, sorry for the misunderstanding :smile:

I am biased as I prefer shoulder bags over hand held, so I would say get the classic flap. It’s a great bag. However, if you like the hand held style then you should consider the capucines from LV. Try both bags in store and see what makes you happier and get that one. Maybe also watch some YouTube videos for both bags. There are some great reviews for Capucines.

Reactions: OCMomof3
“To be honest i really want this bag. I don't care if it's not trendy anymore, or if it make me looking like a " basic" lol. It's my bag and nobody else need to deal with it !!”

that’s the bottom line, all that matters!!
I second Swanky. It's your bag and if it gives you pleasure then get it! If I listened to friends or cared what they thought I wouldn't own a single Chanel. Get what makes me you HAPPY!:heart::P