Clarity Enhanced Diamond

Excellent advice from Rockst@r! If I might add, the treatment isn't guaranteed forever, and can fail. Then you are left with the stone in it's original state, or worse. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Engagement rings take a beating. You would want something that could take the abuse and still look radiant! If I were to choose that kind of product, it would be in an earring or pendant.

Reactions: Work_For_Purse
So much great (and accurate) info here. One final thing I'd like to add: In general, people prefer a larger stone that may be of an inferior quality, versus a smaller, more eye clean stone that has not been enhanced. I'd take a half carat VS1 any day over a 2 carat I2, but in my personal experience most folks just want the size. I've seen people go crazy over a large color tinged K colored stone that has carbon and inclusions galore with very little sparkle. In diamonds, it seems that bigger is almost always percieved as better. For that type of consumer, enhanced is the way to go.

So much great (and accurate) info here. One final thing I'd like to add: In general, people prefer a larger stone that may be of an inferior quality, versus a smaller, more eye clean stone that has not been enhanced. I'd take a half carat VS1 any day over a 2 carat I2, but in my personal experience most folks just want the size. I've seen people go crazy over a large color tinged K colored stone that has carbon and inclusions galore with very little sparkle. In diamonds, it seems that bigger is almost always percieved as better. For that type of consumer, enhanced is the way to go.

Good info. And I really feel for people who are buying a significant diamond because it really is a balancing act. eg size v. quality,v. color v. cut!!!! It takes awhile to get your bearings on what your priorities are.

I find that as you age, shrinkage sets in. I find that the younger gals are prouder to say they chose quality over size....whereas the older ones are wanting big rocks!

I think its also accurate to say that for any given size a color upgrade will effect the price more than a quality upgrade.

My current objective is to buy a 3 c. diamond that has been cut for fire and shows up eye white and eye clean!

A clarity enhanced diamond is not as valuable as a natural diamond that has minimal inclusions. Generally, they're not as desirable for this reason, and jewelers are required to disclose if diamonds have been treated. Diamonds have natural characteristics, which are inclusions (inside the diamond) and blemishes (outside the diamond, on the surface). They can be carbon deposits (black spots that can be seen by the naked eye up close), or feathers (white spots) among other types of "blemishes." Cracks can be filled to make a diamond look better. Now...is it a "bad thing"...not necessarily...it's a personal choice.

*bows down* well said! my husband is a jeweler and he says to tell you BRAVA!!!! :tup: you are so spot on about people oohing and aaahing big over quality.. the 3 ct stone you can see he little guy shoveling coal on the inside as opposed to the smaller 1 ct VS1 cut by an angel.. *sigh*

Guys back to the topic, I thought I should say one more thing to clarify.

Some diamonds are not filled but just drilled. These drilled diamonds are not looked down on at all in the industry because the diamond is not being enhanced or treated with a foreign substance. These drilled diamonds can even have a certificate and are accepted by GIA to grade. So in a diamond that might thru chance have an unsightly black spot spoiling it, it can be drilled out. It is no different than a cutter using his diamond cutter to put an extra angle in the diamond. The diamond is still esentially 100% diamond.

Perhaps where a diamond is more frowned at is when it is artificially filled or covered with a substance. These diamonds are not accepted for grading by GIA.

Please keep in mind that drilling has been carried out for years and is not a new concept. Also, the result will depend on the diamond being drilled. For some it results in miricles and others not mucg difference.

Usually drilling is a win win as it allows the consumer to purchase a diamond that otherwise may have been out of their budget, and allows sellers to sell diamonds that may have been unsellable.

*bows down* well said! my husband is a jeweler and he says to tell you BRAVA!!!! :tup: you are so spot on about people oohing and aaahing big over quality.. the 3 ct stone you can see he little guy shoveling coal on the inside as opposed to the smaller 1 ct VS1 cut by an angel.. *sigh*

Have to agree to disagree. I like my big brawny stone; it's just like me: Big and solid and a little in-your-face, for the most part shiny and happy but with unique dark places if you look very very very closely. I like the flaws in my stone, just like I like the flaws in me: they create character. Dumb to analyze a consumer good so deeply, right? What can I say--groundlessly bestowing deep meaning upon material items is one of my flaws :smile: