Asian Rhinoplasty in USA vs Korea

Hi everyone; I know most procedures here are centered around surgery in Korea, but I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with surgery in the states?

I have a few fears of going to Korea for surgery:
  1. I am not Korean so I'm afraid of getting taken advantage of or ripped off.
  2. I have seen a few people who got surgery in Korea in person, and a lot of them look very odd after surgery - like very shiny noses or just that worked on feeling that I don't want. I'm not sure if my aesthetic is just different from the general Korean PS aesthetic?
  3. It's hard to really judge a clinic based off of photos of patients on their websites, because they might photoshop it, and even if they don't, a lot of times people in person look very different from in photos. In the case with rhinoplasty, noses are more 3d in person, so it may end up looking taller/longer/more protruding than the photos show.
  4. I feel like my taste in noses is very particular - I don't like tall noses, but I want a nose that's less wide and bulbous than it is now. I don't think that's achievable realistically without making the bridge and tip higher though, because my nose is fatty and thick skin. BUT I also don't want a sharp pointed tip. I still want a rounded asian looking tip.
  5. Most korean surgeons use super soft silicone. I don't want to have foreign material in my body because my body has a lot of allergies, and I just have this gut feeling that a few years down the road, it will be rejected from my body. So I would probably have to get rib cartilage.
  6. If the surgery goes well and I like my result- GREAT! But if not, I feel like a lot of forumers here get dismissed by the doctor.
So with all that said, does anyone here have any positive (or negative) experiences with doctors in the states?

In particular I have my eye on Dr. Donald Yoo in Beverly Hills. Does anyone here have any experience with him? His website is here: http://donyoomd.com - although not all his noses are my taste, I have yet to find any negative reviews about him so far. Curious what you guys think of his work? Maybe there's something I'm overlooking that's a red flag? His consultation fee is $250 so I want to hear more before committing to go travel and see him.

Personally I think Dr. Charles Lee of Beverly Hills has the rhinoplasty results that I like. It's more subtle. But I hear SO many horror stories about him that I'm completely put off. Also some of his before and afters look airbrushed/photoshopped which is weird. Overall he seems like a hit or miss kind of guy.

I am curious for those who got a very subtle augmentation done on their nose, how many mm of implant or DCF was used?

Hi everyone; I know most procedures here are centered around surgery in Korea, but I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with surgery in the states?

I have a few fears of going to Korea for surgery:
  1. I am not Korean so I'm afraid of getting taken advantage of or ripped off.
  2. I have seen a few people who got surgery in Korea in person, and a lot of them look very odd after surgery - like very shiny noses or just that worked on feeling that I don't want. I'm not sure if my aesthetic is just different from the general Korean PS aesthetic?
  3. It's hard to really judge a clinic based off of photos of patients on their websites, because they might photoshop it, and even if they don't, a lot of times people in person look very different from in photos. In the case with rhinoplasty, noses are more 3d in person, so it may end up looking taller/longer/more protruding than the photos show.
  4. I feel like my taste in noses is very particular - I don't like tall noses, but I want a nose that's less wide and bulbous than it is now. I don't think that's achievable realistically without making the bridge and tip higher though, because my nose is fatty and thick skin. BUT I also don't want a sharp pointed tip. I still want a rounded asian looking tip.
  5. Most korean surgeons use super soft silicone. I don't want to have foreign material in my body because my body has a lot of allergies, and I just have this gut feeling that a few years down the road, it will be rejected from my body. So I would probably have to get rib cartilage.
  6. If the surgery goes well and I like my result- GREAT! But if not, I feel like a lot of forumers here get dismissed by the doctor.
So with all that said, does anyone here have any positive (or negative) experiences with doctors in the states?

In particular I have my eye on Dr. Donald Yoo in Beverly Hills. Does anyone here have any experience with him? His website is here: http://donyoomd.com - although not all his noses are my taste, I have yet to find any negative reviews about him so far. Curious what you guys think of his work? Maybe there's something I'm overlooking that's a red flag? His consultation fee is $250 so I want to hear more before committing to go travel and see him.

Personally I think Dr. Charles Lee of Beverly Hills has the rhinoplasty results that I like. It's more subtle. But I hear SO many horror stories about him that I'm completely put off. Also some of his before and afters look airbrushed/photoshopped which is weird. Overall he seems like a hit or miss kind of guy.

I am curious for those who got a very subtle augmentation done on their nose, how many mm of implant or DCF was used?

I have never heard of Dr. Yoo, but I remember yeeears ago Dr. Lee had a LOTTTT of horror stories on here. I remember that name so clearly because there were soo many complaints about him years back

Dr. Yoo has an excellent marketing team. While I don't doubt some of his patients are satisfied with their results, some of his team can be pushy and rude. I informed one of the women (Ana) that I wasn't interested at the time because I didn't want to "commit" before "committing" and she gave me a sarcastic, dismissive and nasty reply. You will pay a $300 consultation fee, but it goes towards the surgery itself. Aesthetically, the noses seem too sloped for my taste, but I like you was desperate to find a decent surgeon in the US rather than make the leap to go to Korea.

Personally speaking, I would just go to Korea for rhinoplasty. The options here appear to be very limited for Asian noses and most results are suspect at best. I agree with you that it's a tough decision to put a foreign body in your nose, and that's a personal choice. But just do your research and find a doctor who will listen to your concerns rather than push you into anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Reactions: zipperfool
Dr. Yoo has an excellent marketing team. While I don't doubt some of his patients are satisfied with their results, some of his team can be pushy and rude. I informed one of the women (Ana) that I wasn't interested at the time because I didn't want to "commit" before "committing" and she gave me a sarcastic, dismissive and nasty reply. You will pay a $300 consultation fee, but it goes towards the surgery itself. Aesthetically, the noses seem too sloped for my taste, but I like you was desperate to find a decent surgeon in the US rather than make the leap to go to Korea.

Personally speaking, I would just go to Korea for rhinoplasty. The options here appear to be very limited for Asian noses and most results are suspect at best. I agree with you that it's a tough decision to put a foreign body in your nose, and that's a personal choice. But just do your research and find a doctor who will listen to your concerns rather than push you into anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Thanks for your reply! Did you have a consultation with Dr. Yoo? How was he like? Did you end up getting any work done by him? Would love to hear your experience!

Yeah I constantly hear that if the doctor's before/after is not suitable to your taste, you should not go to them because beyond skill, there is also an artist's take on rhinoplasty. I guess it's weird that I'm so stuck on considering him, I think I feel like at least with him I'm in good hands in terms of my health and nothing will go terribly wrong. I also think his noses come out looking very natural, and doesn't have that asian plastic surgery feel, despite the noses looking too caucasian for my taste.

I just wonder if he can bend his aesthetics to suit my personal tastes haha.

I guess I should say I haven't fully given up on Korea yet. I have the means to go there, but I just feel like a lot of the bloggers who went there came out with noses that look really weird too - a few of them being: Bonqiuqiu: https://www.instagram.com/bongqiuqiu/ , Miyake: https://www.instagram.com/mykxii/ , Stella Lee: https://www.instagram.com/stellalee92/ They just all have a very worked on / PS nose look that I don't like.

Yeah, I scoured the forums again and nope. Not going to even consider him now haha thanks for the warning!

Really?? I haven't seen anything that bad and I'm very curious. I like how a lot of his results on Asian patients look natural. I am now second-guessing although he is my first choice in doing a revision Asian rhinoplasty.

Really?? I haven't seen anything that bad and I'm very curious. I like how a lot of his results on Asian patients look natural. I am now second-guessing although he is my first choice in doing a revision Asian rhinoplasty.
I haven’t seen much horror stories in Dr. Lee but if you want more natural/subtle results go to him. For me he won’t touch my bridge although I want it to be heightened a little. I’m not going to pay bookoo dollars for him to do minor things. His surgery on me would take 2.5 hours and I feel like that’s rushing it. He is the expert but I feel like I’m getting over charged for a basic rhinoplasty.

I have never heard of Dr. Yoo, but I remember yeeears ago Dr. Lee had a LOTTTT of horror stories on here. I remember that name so clearly because there were soo many complaints about him years back
Where are these horror stories of Dr. Lee? I came across only a few and most are on their eyelid surgery. I am considering him for primary rhinoplasty.