What happened AFTER you got your Holy Grail?

foxgal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
I’m curious to hear from tPFers who have finally gotten their HG bag. I see lots of reveals and stories about the journey to find it...but what about after?

My big 5-0 is approaching and my DH has agreed I should get the HG I’ve been wanting for years (still debating between 3 classic styles). But I’m also wondering...will this finally end my obsession with bags? Will I actually use it for the rest of my life, or at least a decade? Or will I get tired of it after a while and go on to the next thing?

So ladies, if you’ve been fortunate enough to get your personal holy grail - how did it work out? Are you still over the moon to use it and how long has it been? Or did the thrill fade? Tell me your story!

I’m curious to hear from tPFers who have finally gotten their HG bag. I see lots of reveals and stories about the journey to find it...but what about after?

My big 5-0 is approaching and my DH has agreed I should get the HG I’ve been wanting for years (still debating between 3 classic styles). But I’m also wondering...will this finally end my obsession with bags? Will I actually use it for the rest of my life, or at least a decade? Or will I get tired of it after a while and go on to the next thing?

So ladies, if you’ve been fortunate enough to get your personal holy grail - how did it work out? Are you still over the moon to use it and how long has it been? Or did the thrill fade? Tell me your story!

I’ve had some HG bags over the years, a few Chanel and a lot of Coach. It didn’t seem to stop my obsession with bags. What did seem to stop it was having to emigrate, and in the process having to get rid of a majority of my belongings, including my HG bags. I kept three of them. I regret keeping one of them, and letting another go (two different styles, but the same size), and the reason was I sold one because it was red, whilst the one I kept was black. I thought I’d use the black more, I don’t. I’ve regretted selling the red Chanel ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxgal
It’s abt managing greed. Once went for Bobbi Brown foundation event so they have some write up contest abt the foundation... the winner said it’s liked own skin, make one comfortable with own skin n to go out with ‘naked’ foundation or something. .....
So... if the person is really so comfortable with her skin, why does she needs foundation? She can just pile up skincare n sunblock n out she goes....
so yup, I’m constantly managing mine. I find that even after I buy the luxury bags, I’m still ok to go back to normal Brands...so actually I don’t need so many bags ...

there’s a lot of ‘wants’ but the needs is little

Hi!

From a collectors point of view, there can be many HG *items*/*collectables* and having obtained one, even if it is "the one", doesn't necessarily end the journey/hunting of others. That might be more sought after, more exclusive, more appealing with life overall evolving.

My hunting for HG *items*/*collectables* stopped when I realized I had only one life to live. And I was never going to use all of the, despite rather easily, accumulated "stuff". (This is with *collectables* that can be used/have a use, of course) It helped me slow down immensely and focus on other, by now, to me, more important things. It is also the experience, the overall journey that will slow you down more than a single purchase.

If you have had so many *collectibles* of one sort, you will come to the point where one is simply like the other. "If you have seen one, you have seen them all." It is then, when you start appreciating the few HG *collectibles* that stood the test of time and are still with you (and being used).

Then you can come across any number of HG *collectibles* and cherish them for what they are, compliment on them - but you really don't need to own them (anymore).

Last week I was shown a beautiful LV leather briefcase, the SA/CA couldn't help but tell me she saw how I had a glint in the eyes. And yes, that was because it was a truly wonderful bag. But my inner calm/peace, because of my overall feeling of having "arrived", stopped me from an impulse buy. By now, I have decided to buy the bag - although not immediately but still rather timely. And I will let go my currently least used briefcase(s), so I will be using that one exclusively.

Years ago, I would have bought it on the spot. And some other stuff along with it - just because.

That is no more, for me.

Highly personal thoughts. So it's obviously entirely IMHO.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi!

From a collectors point of view, there can be many HG *items*/*collectables* and having obtained one, even if it is "the one", doesn't necessarily end the journey/hunting of others. That might be more sought after, more exclusive, more appealing with life overall evolving.

My hunting for HG *items*/*collectables* stopped when I realized I had only one life to live. And I was never going to use all of the, despite rather easily, accumulated "stuff". (This is with *collectables* that can be used/have a use, of course) It helped me slow down immensely and focus on other, by now, to me, more important things. It is also the experience, the overall journey that will slow you down more than a single purchase.

If you have had so many *collectibles* of one sort, you will come to the point where one is simply like the other. "If you have seen one, you have seen them all." It is then, when you start appreciating the few HG *collectibles* that stood the test of time and are still with you (and being used).

Then you can come across any number of HG *collectibles* and cherish them for what they are, compliment on them - but you really don't need to own them (anymore).

Last week I was shown a beautiful LV leather briefcase, the SA/CA couldn't help but tell me she saw how I had a glint in the eyes. And yes, that was because it was a truly wonderful bag. But my inner calm/peace, because of my overall feeling of having "arrived", stopped me from an impulse buy. By now, I have decided to buy the bag - although not immediately but still rather timely. And I will let go my currently least used briefcase(s), so I will be using that one exclusively.

Years ago, I would have bought it on the spot. And some other stuff along with it - just because.

That is no more, for me.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Thank you, Oliver for your thoughtful response. And apologies for referencing “ladies” in my original post...I seem to forget how many fellows are part of the tPF community!

I’m definitely not a collector...more the opposite in fact. I only have three bags! It’s more that I’m hoping to find “the one” that will stand the test of time and serve my needs for the long term. But I’m thinking that just might be a pipe dream.

Thank you, Oliver for your thoughtful response. And apologies for referencing “ladies” in my original post...I seem to forget how many fellows are part of the tPF community!

I’m definitely not a collector...more the opposite in fact. I only have three bags! It’s more that I’m hoping to find “the one” that will stand the test of time and serve my needs for the long term. But I’m thinking that just might be a pipe dream.

No apologies needed. ;) :flowers:

Not necessarily a pipe dream at all. The only question is if the HG bag is a HG because it really fits all your "bag needs", or if you are romanticizing over a HG bag, primarily for the sake of that bag and not your actual "bag needs".

Mean of me to put it that way, isn't it? :graucho: :lol:

Honestly & wholeheartedly, I'm sure you can do it - until then, enjoy the madness of the journey until you reach that point! :giggle: :tup: ;) That's the fun part anyway! ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver

I’m going to be completely honest...each time I’ve gotten what I thought would “the one” it’s ended up being more pain than pleasure and has been sitting on the shelves in my display closet that no one but myself sees. I think part of me feels that I will be “complete” when I get that handbag. I have excitement and satisfaction for about 5 minutes before it goes away and I’m online looking for another bag to get. It’s filling a bottomless void. When I take them out, I’m so paranoid about them being damaged (weather, other people touching them, going on a dirty airport security conveyor belt, etc) that I find it difficult to enjoy my new purchase. Where I live, few people acknowledge or appreciate fashion like I do. I find it easier carrying around a more practical handbag. I hope this doesn’t discourage you from getting your dream bag, but I want to share with you my experience so hopefully if/when you get your bag you truly enjoy it. and Happy Birthday!!!

My search for my holy grail was going on for 10 years, where I sesrched intensely for the last 5 of them.

I FINALLY got it two weeks ago and I am over the moon happy!

I somehow feel that my collection is complete, and I have curated it and let go of a lot of bags since.

I have never felt this way before when I have gotten a bag I wanted, but they haven’t been HGs in the same way. I had one LV that was kind of a HG and when I got that, it “closed” my lust after other bigger LV bags.

How long this feeling will last, I don’t know, but I’ll make the most of it while it does.

I'm no bag expert, I just ended up with a lot of bags over the years. I don't have a HG bag. I have some in my mind that I think will be the "best" bag for me and my lifestyle. Life happens and changes. I used to buy briefcases and messengers when I worked in an office, now that I was transitioned to work from home full time, I rarely use them. I am now a small bag mini bag enthusiast. Unfortunately, another window opened-for small bags :biggrin: I'm now in love with them. It's never ending.
I want to piggyback to what you said "will it end the obsession" I hate to say that it will not. There will always be a shiny, new thing on the shelves. That's why I want to reiterate, I look for bags that are "best" for my current lifestyle not a HG one.
Just buy what you want/need/like. If it makes you happy then keep and enjoy it. If not, return or sell! :heart:

My HG was the Chanel reissue 227 black with gold hardware. I got it back in 2010 and it’s still my favorite and most used bag.

But I still have purchased many other bags in particular totes that I find very practical. And I think Hermes Kelly is my new latest HG

I think the key is that the HG actually works for your lifestyle and will get a lot of love and wear.

I love all the options you are considering and really would love to get a Lady Dior too myself

Hope you keep us posted!

Reactions: Shelby33
Hi!

That is no more, for me.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Beautifully said, Oliver.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
I’m going to be completely honest...each time I’ve gotten what I thought would “the one” it’s ended up being more pain than pleasure and has been sitting on the shelves in my display closet that no one but myself sees. I think part of me feels that I will be “complete” when I get that handbag. I have excitement and satisfaction for about 5 minutes before it goes away and I’m online looking for another bag to get. It’s filling a bottomless void. When I take them out, I’m so paranoid about them being damaged (weather, other people touching them, going on a dirty airport security conveyor belt, etc) that I find it difficult to enjoy my new purchase. Where I live, few people acknowledge or appreciate fashion like I do. I find it easier carrying around a more practical handbag. I hope this doesn’t discourage you from getting your dream bag, but I want to share with you my experience so hopefully if/when you get your bag you truly enjoy it. and Happy Birthday!!!

Thank you for this insight. My current dream bag (my avatar) is $2500. I worry that even if I found a way to afford it I'd be too afraid of damaging it to ever use it. As you say, it would sit home unused and not properly enjoyed, seen only by myself. I'm also in an area where there is little appreciation for, or recognition of, fashion. It's good to know these are realistic concerns that others have experienced and dealt with, not just me being paranoid.