**Hermes Chat**

I did a search about the price thread and found some discussions in this thread from a couple pages back!

I was also using that thread and finding it a little unorganized, but the info is really super useful. I think the main reason is that a forum thread is not the most suitable format for a price chart. Rather if it were say a shared spread sheet that people just update the corresponding data box it would be much easier. That being said, no idea what is the best tool to start such a thing and what are the ways to authorize or restrict access to it (for example, Google spreadsheet I think doesn't allow for password protected sharing, if you share as link you have to make it that everyone who gets the link has access).

I'd like your thoughts on an encounter I had at an engagement party I went to last weekend. It was an informal affair; dressing polished was appropriate..

DH and I went to the Washington Ballet earlier in the day. I wore Mother jeans, black Vince tee, Brunello Cuchinelli cardigan, boots and some Van Cleef rose gold Alhambra and Perlee pieces on. I looked good. The monli beading on my cardigan was rose gold colored and matched the Van Cleef. I think about what I wear to coordinate looks. It's something I care about. I like to look stylish.

I approached two friends, they were talking about one woman's son — a very talented singer/actor auditioning on Broadway amongst other locales. He got a hold of his scorecard and found out he needed to up his game style wise. So we got into a discussion on clothes and style. The women said, "Look at you!" (meaning me)! You are just wearing a black tee shirt!!! They were admiring my style in a zoo-animal sort of way.

They asked me where I shop. I said "Saks." "Why do you shop THERE!!!" I said I like the quality and service. I understand tailoring and quality. So, I don't shop in places like Marshalls or Kohls, the places where they said they shop. These women are both practicing attorneys, so I know they have money, if they choose to spend it. They asked me whether I think about how I dress when I pick out clothes. I said yes.

I build my wardrobe around my jewelry and handbags. I've put too much of an investment in these pieces to do otherwise.

It was just a weird, weird encounter. I hope I did not come across as snobby. I was merely stating my views factually. If you know good tailoring and craftsmanship, it's hard to purchase poorly made items. Whenever I have purchased something at Marshalls, it ends up being donated to a clothing drive shortly thereafter. It's a waste of my money.

I own some inexpensive clothes from Target. They occupy a useful space in my wardrobe. They are just not things I wear when I want to look my best, e.g. party clothes.

Girl it sounds like these mothers you are talking about have a little jealousy from your posh, fashionable ensemble. Plus, you added that you shop at Saks, they immediately go on fight not flight syndrome. "Oh this girl is rich" is probably what's going on in their minds. So they try to minimize and self deprecate and say they shop at Marshalls and in order for you to baby them. I say let it go. Every person has their own passion for something. You have passion for fashion and not everyone will understand that. Just like how I don't understand why some people buy expensive paintings. That's crazy.
TO EACH HIS OWN. We don't owe people explanation, especially to those people who have no fashion sense or affinity to it all. Nobody wins. That irritates me. I would have slapped them.

I'd like your thoughts on an encounter I had at an engagement party I went to last weekend. It was an informal affair; dressing polished was appropriate..

DH and I went to the Washington Ballet earlier in the day. I wore Mother jeans, black Vince tee, Brunello Cuchinelli cardigan, boots and some Van Cleef rose gold Alhambra and Perlee pieces on. I looked good. The monli beading on my cardigan was rose gold colored and matched the Van Cleef. I think about what I wear to coordinate looks. It's something I care about. I like to look stylish.

I approached two friends, they were talking about one woman's son — a very talented singer/actor auditioning on Broadway amongst other locales. He got a hold of his scorecard and found out he needed to up his game style wise. So we got into a discussion on clothes and style. The women said, "Look at you!" (meaning me)! You are just wearing a black tee shirt!!! They were admiring my style in a zoo-animal sort of way.

They asked me where I shop. I said "Saks." "Why do you shop THERE!!!" I said I like the quality and service. I understand tailoring and quality. So, I don't shop in places like Marshalls or Kohls, the places where they said they shop. These women are both practicing attorneys, so I know they have money, if they choose to spend it. They asked me whether I think about how I dress when I pick out clothes. I said yes.

I build my wardrobe around my jewelry and handbags. I've put too much of an investment in these pieces to do otherwise.

It was just a weird, weird encounter. I hope I did not come across as snobby. I was merely stating my views factually. If you know good tailoring and craftsmanship, it's hard to purchase poorly made items. Whenever I have purchased something at Marshalls, it ends up being donated to a clothing drive shortly thereafter. It's a waste of my money.

I own some inexpensive clothes from Target. They occupy a useful space in my wardrobe. They are just not things I wear when I want to look my best, e.g. party clothes.

I can empathize, and find sometimes those kinds of encounters are good social “tune-ups” for me. Sometimes it takes a weird exchange to remind me that people don’t always need answers to their questions. I only end up annoying myself trying to discuss or explain things they don’t understand or care about anyway. I’ve decided that (your evening for example) instead of explaining why I value quality and service to someone who cares only about price and convenience (or whatever) it’s useful to deflect queries about my things or habits with my own questions—What do you like about Kohl’s? What is your favorite thing to buy at Marshall’s? What is the best deal you ever found?—Then everyone is happy. They are happy because they get to talk about themselves, which is what most people want to do anyway. :chatty: They think I’m a brilliant conversationalist because I encourage them to talk to their heart’s content, and I sometimes learn something I didn’t know. At a minimum, I don’t leave a party with that surreal feeling that I’ve said too much but not connected at all, or opened my personal life/decisions to comment from acquaintances.

I can empathize, and find sometimes those kinds of encounters are good social “tune-ups” for me. Sometimes it takes a weird exchange to remind me that people don’t always need answers to their questions. I only end up annoying myself trying to discuss or explain things they don’t understand or care about anyway. I’ve decided that (your evening for example) instead of explaining why I value quality and service to someone who cares only about price and convenience (or whatever) it’s useful to deflect queries about my things or habits with my own questions—What do you like about Kohl’s? What is your favorite thing to buy at Marshall’s? What is the best deal you ever found?—Then everyone is happy. They are happy because they get to talk about themselves, which is what most people want to do anyway. :chatty: They think I’m a brilliant conversationalist because I encourage them to talk to their heart’s content, and I sometimes learn something I didn’t know. At a minimum, I don’t leave a party with that surreal feeling that I’ve said too much but not connected at all, or opened my personal life/decisions to comment from acquaintances.
GREAT idea!!!

Reactions: Etriers
Can somebody tell me what a meme is? I looked it up but the answer wasn't clear. I gather it is a cultural symbol, like the rainbow on some H scarves (and many other places) is an affirmation of inclusiveness. If that's a meme, fine, but in general I don't know what they are.

Thank you -Excellent suggestions!

This really is a great suggestion/reminder.

EB--your style is fabulous. Don't ever doubt it!

Apropos of absolutely nothing, has anyone ever tried washing dry clean only wool pants? I’ve always just dry cleaned my pants like a good direction-following girl but now I’m wondering—since I’ve gone wild and now wash my H silks and cashmere sweaters—what happens with pants? The ones I’m thinking of trying are wide-leg trousers, unlined, mostly merino, maybe 8% cashmere and 2% polyester (for stretch). Any thoughts?

I'd like your thoughts on an encounter I had at an engagement party I went to last weekend. It was an informal affair; dressing polished was appropriate....
I'm not a regular contributor to this chat thread, but I want to say that your posts are informative and your enjoyment of fashion and beautiful accessories comes across in them. It does sound like this was a weird encounter that crossed into an "overly familiar" territory. There are beautifully tailored t-shirts that are better made than many suiting separates that are of lesser quality.

I know dedicated shoppers who can find great pieces regardless of store and price point, but it takes time and energy. I'm surprised those ladies questioned your choice of outfit.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, has anyone ever tried washing dry clean only wool pants? I’ve always just dry cleaned my pants like a good direction-following girl but now I’m wondering—since I’ve gone wild and now wash my H silks and cashmere sweaters—what happens with pants? The ones I’m thinking of trying are wide-leg trousers, unlined, mostly merino, maybe 8% cashmere and 2% polyester (for stretch). Any thoughts?
How expensive were the pants? How much do you love them? How easily could they be replaced?

I would not try this with expensive pants or any that I truly treasured. There is a big difference between washing a wool/cashmere KNIT than a woven fabric. Personally, I would not try this. But then I'm not a big risk taker.

How expensive were the pants? How much do you love them? How easily could they be replaced?

I would not try this with expensive pants or any that I truly treasured. There is a big difference between washing a wool/cashmere KNIT than a woven fabric. Personally, I would not try this. But then I'm not a big risk taker.

Lol! Well, I guess it wouldn’t be the end of the world if something tragic happened to them, but in the interest of adventure, I’d like it to turn out well, and I’m trying to do less dry cleaning overall to reduce chemicals etc. I’m wondering what would make unlined pants significantly different from a sweater? Do you suppose it’s just the weave? As you say, knit vs. woven?

Lol! Well, I guess it wouldn’t be the end of the world if something tragic happened to them, but in the interest of adventure, I’d like it to turn out well, and I’m trying to do less dry cleaning overall to reduce chemicals etc. I’m wondering what would make unlined pants significantly different from a sweater? Do you suppose it’s just the weave? As you say, knit vs. woven?

Read this:
https://www.holylamborganics.com/blogs/news/why-washable-wool-isnt-for-us