Scarves Anyone give up on scarf 90s?

I have NOT given up on silk 90's. But I confess to paring down my collection a considerable bit. Once I fell down the very slippery CSGM slope; I find that when the weather seems cool enough to wear a 90 cm twill that I more often reach for the larger and warmer alternative.

In the summer months - much more than 3 months duration in my hot and steamy state - I am increasingly prone to wear a 90 cm mousseline. So 90 cm is not persona/scarfona non grata at all!

It’s nearly impossible to reply to a long Quote on the new app.
hooray for your mom! She taught you not to be afraid of scarves. I wear mine gardening, hiking, walking the dog, and DEFINITELY when any medical stuff is going on. As someone said, if you don’t like scarves, don’t wear them. But if you do, here we are!

“Gardening, hiking, walking the dog...” I LOVE, love, love, that, and am so inspired to hear it! Exactly. Why not? There is no point in saving such beautiful things. Life is short. We should make every moment sweet. :heart: :flowers:

Thanks everyone. This has given me a lot of food for thought. I have been giving them a try with a “uniform” (solid colour pants, white button down or a solid colour top that matches the base colour of the scarf and worn with an H scarf ring). It seems to be working better that way for me. I am not rushing out to buy new scarves but I have not sold anything either.

I also have CGSM I love (Un rose pour Alma in various blues) but have not worn so I need to find a way to work with that too. At least I am not thinking about selling that one.

Thanks everyone. This has given me a lot of food for thought. I have been giving them a try with a “uniform” (solid colour pants, white button down or a solid colour top that matches the base colour of the scarf and worn with an H scarf ring). It seems to be working better that way for me. I am not rushing out to buy new scarves but I have not sold anything either.

I also have CGSM I love (Un rose pour Alma in various blues) but have not worn so I need to find a way to work with that too. At least I am not thinking about selling that one.
It will look more casual for knots without scarf rings. There are tons of ideas shown in IG.

I have the opposite situation as some because I overheat easily at my job. If I put one on when I leave home it usually lives in my coat pocket once I get to work. Probably for the best as I am often surrounded by 6 year olds waiving paint brushes around in the air.

I wear one of my most favorite scarves to the dentist as a security blanket!!

I can only imagine what type of expression my dentist would have if I refused the paper bib in favor of a silk scarf :lol:
My white/red Cheval Surprise would really make them wonder if I was okay.

I am sorry if this belongs somewhere else.

I love Hermes silk scarves. I think many of the designs are beautiful. I have seven and I rarely wear them. My style is very much about clean lines and monochrome colours (neutrals, jewel tones and some lighter shades of blue).

I have some scarves which are more modern (shadow BGD) and some that are more traditional (equator).

My wardrobe is a great backdrop for scarves but I really just don’t feel like “me” when I wear them. But I look at them in the store and I love them.

I am debating rehoming some of them. But then I am worried I will regret it. Anyone been there? What did you wind up doing in the end? Were you able to make the scarves work for you?

Usually I am very disciplined and decisive about my style choices so I am a bit frustrated with myself.
I think one way of deciding, is to take a series of photos of three or four your favourite ensembles,each both with and without several scarves, tied various ways...( if you know someone who loves accessorizing get some assistance with this. ) It really helps to see how something looks in a photo, otherwise we can be intimidated by a new visual element, complicating what we think of as our style, when we see it in the mirror. You need an external viewpoint here.. There was something you liked about the scarves, whether it was the colour, the design content, or the feel of the silk. (Actually your clean lines and monochromatic colours make your wardrobe perfect for accessorizing.) You may not want them on all the time, just when out and about and doing errands and tied round your bag when you have your coat off, or you may just bias fold them to a manageable width and draped around your shoulders loose, just as a contrast...it doesn’t have to make what you wear look “busy”, just accented. Maitai’s picture book has some great examples of a clean monochromatic wardrobe with accents.

I think one way of deciding, is to take a series of photos of three or four your favourite ensembles,each both with and without several scarves, tied various ways...( if you know someone who loves accessorizing get some assistance with this. ) It really helps to see how something looks in a photo, otherwise we can be intimidated by a new visual element, complicating what we think of as our style, when we see it in the mirror. You need an external viewpoint here.. There was something you liked about the scarves, whether it was the colour, the design content, or the feel of the silk. (Actually your clean lines and monochromatic colours make your wardrobe perfect for accessorizing.) You may not want them on all the time, just when out and about and doing errands and tied round your bag when you have your coat off, or you may just bias fold them to a manageable width and draped around your shoulders loose, just as a contrast...it doesn’t have to make what you wear look “busy”, just accented. Maitai’s picture book has some great examples of a clean monochromatic wardrobe with accents.

Photos make a big, positive difference because they let you see the scarf as others do, realize that some characteristic really isn’t as personal perception indicates.

This is a very interesting discussion.
After collecting a number of silk scarf designs, I have moved to only wearing the cashmere scarfs. It simply works better with my style (no style, hahah!). I love the designs, the weight and the softness of cashmere. Plus I worry about the treatment and diet of those silk worms... The companies would do great to increase the transparency of their production and sourcing processes.

I used to feel the way you do, and was thinking my 90s would make snazzy toilet seat covers until I figured out how to wear the scarf without it being all about The Scarf. As a newbie scarf tie-er, the only thing I knew how to do was lay it over my shoulders, or bias fold it into a long sailor knot like Mrs. C my high school AP English teacher. If you feel funny about over-the-clothes applications, try stuffing it into your clothes. Don’t be all precious about it. Just knot, stuff, and go. (N.B. Do not read any of my posts about how I freak out about edges.) Tuck it inside a shirt, or twist, knot and tuck inside the neckline of a sweater, or over a turtleneck under a down jacket. When I started doing that, wearing 90s started to be fun and my plain outfits got a lot more finished looking in an easy, fast way without having to wear a bunch of jewelry.

View attachment 4574635

Or this...

View attachment 4574636

The effect looks polished but doesn’t feel overwhelming. That’s how I came to terms with my 90s and why they are not now sofa doilies or buried in the yard.

And then of course, you can always wear your scarves the way we all love, the classic Hermes pirate head wrap. I believe this is @Jbizzybeetle on her way to the beach.

View attachment 4574640
This is a fascinating thread. I agree the "just stuff it under whatever you are wearing" is a great way to incorporate 90's without it being all about the scarf. Even the most ordinary outfit looks elevated with just a peep of scarf showing.

I think the feeling of “not matching” mainly before how we treat the scarf. If we keep feeling it is a very expensive accessory on each time you knot it, you will never feel comfort with it. Treat it as a watch or a necklace that we wear everyday will be fine. Scarf can easily match with jeans and vest easily. And very rock style with leather biker jacket as well. You can found quite a lots of reference in IG.

Scarf helps easily get dress up with scarf ring, which is especially good for me as I don’t want to buy so much clothes for special occasions.

To make a scarf more code with your clothes, my suggestion is to match with the colour of your scarf. Like if my scarf contains white, blue, pink and orange. I will wear a t-shirt with one of theses colours. It makes me feel more comfort to match the whole style.
I do this too - I can range farther afield in colorways, if the scarf contains a decent amount of my wardrobe neutrals (navy or gray for me). I like the advice to think of it like a watch. The scarves actually are quite hardy (like a good watch) and once I realized I wasn't going to hurt them, it was easier for me to wear them casually.