Birkin 35 Epsom defects

LindyNguyen1023

Oct 21, 2019
I was offered my first Birkin 3 years ago. It’s a B35 Epsom, dark blue with red trim. I was thrilled and excited, so I bought it in a heart beat. Didn’t get to use it much because I had a newborn and a 2 years old during the time. I found it hard to use due to the size, stiffness and hard to open and close, therefore, I didn’t use it much. Pass forward, 3 years later, I used it maybe 4x. Today I took it out to wear, I struggled to have the flap holes fit through the ponte and touret. I had to force it to make it fit. During that process I scratched the flap. Why is this happening to a $12-$13k bag? What can I do? Is it a defect ? Please advise.

I was offered my first Birkin 3 years ago. It’s a B35 Epsom, dark blue with red trim. I was thrilled and excited, so I bought it in a heart beat. Didn’t get to use it much because I had a newborn and a 2 years old during the time. I found it hard to use due to the size, stiffness and hard to open and close, therefore, I didn’t use it much. Pass forward, 3 years later, I used it maybe 4x. Today I took it out to wear, I struggled to have the flap holes fit through the ponte and touret. I had to force it to make it fit. During that process I scratched the flap. Why is this happening to a $12-$13k bag? What can I do? Is it a defect ? Please advise.
Fret not, with regular use the leather will stretch out and be more "pliable". It is the characteristic of Epsom leather to be much more rigid, compared to clemence/ togo. Your worry seems to be typical new bag syndrome, everthing is still stiff. It's not a defect. Just be wary of how you store your bag since you rarely use it, they need to be aired from time to time.