Scarves What do you love about wearing H scarves?

I don’t know if it is Autumn coming and the excitement of pulling out my silks and cashmeres after a long, hot summer but I can’t seem to get enough of thinking and talking about scarves lately. Thank heavens for TPF or I would surely drive my friends insane.

Please share what you love best about wearing scarves and where you wear them most. :heart: Are you an art collector? Is it how they liven up specific outfits? Is it the luxury of wearing H around your neck or shoulders or bag? The colors? Are they a “security blanket”? I mentioned on another thread that for me, since I work at home, I like wearing jeans and tees and then being able to toss on a scarf and blazer and feel pulled together when I leave the house. I feel chic even with no makeup. :smile:. Mods, if there is another thread like this, please combine. Thank you!
altho every reason can be linked to different scarves/shawls, I am very much same here on the quick dress-up! I would typically change tops cuz my comfy-home tees are usually graphic, tie a scarf, and take on the world.
H Logic: save time & money on RTW—buy scarves. of course, today’s 90 costs what office suit cost me in 1985.

Funny you should ask that question, before discovering H silks, I would dress and go to my scarf drawer and select a scarf that matched my outfit. Since my decent down the H slippery slope, I now go to my scarf drawer, select an H scarf and build my outfit around it. I'm building a H scarf collection large enough to wear H most often, My non H scarves are sooooooooooooooo jealous! lol
Yes!

Reactions: Plussizegirl
Recently at an art event I heard the comment that most historians are failed art critics (and that most art critics are failed artists). I am in the former group, completely dedicated to history but actually always thinking about art. And the scarves (mostly just 90’s) are for me opportunities to both wear art and support emerging artists.

I have autism and sometimes find it hard to leave the house. Left to my own devices, I could spend an hour each day twiddling my scarf into a bow... neatly avoiding going anywhere. So this year my failsafe has become 90 + Mors ring in one particular arrangement, and it works brilliantly. It is a uniform that gets me out the door and a means by which I communicate myself to the world. I also wear my scarves more which is good, not just from the perspective of cost per wear, but because the relationship I have with colour is the thing on which I base my understanding of the world. In my way of thinking, the way by which we arrange and make categories of colour, adopting or rejecting harmonies, is representative of the dialogue between self and other, repeated across cultures.

And on a practical note, scarves keep my neck warm. So important in SE Asian culture - did you know? - to always keep the cold (and wind) off the back of your neck!
I so get this! :drinks:

I own more silk scarves than I have occasions to wear, but when I do select one it is like looking through an art collection. Seeing one I forgot about is a thrill.

Cashmere and silk I wear more often, as they can take the place of a sweater in summer as well as winter.

Has anyone mentioned cotton scarves? I love them as they work in hot weather as well. Once when looking at a necklace, my husband said, "I thought you liked to tie a rag around your neck." If he only knew..... I adore the Kermit Oliver Cowgirl ones.
Oh, DH comment priceless! and I have too few cottons, would have more but limited by format and designs.

The whole day is better when I wear one of my silk scarves.
I dress rather simply in dark colours because I am plus sized, and a beautiful scarf just adds the right amount of colour to my outfit.
For instance, today I wear for the office: Navy trousers, navy knitted cardigan, white blouse with navy stripes and navy shoes.
Very simple and very plain- but around the neck I wear my beautiful 90×90 silk scarf " Peuple du Vent" in bright colours- and I am feeling great!
plus size also— for me, choosing the beautiful right scarf so much easier than finding the right-size RTW. I can just “barely” make a 90 work as a top under a blazer—best of both worlds—as long as I don’t have to remove the blazer....:eek:

This might be a great season for scarf clothes. I haven’t been shopping yet but I’m seeing a lot more collarless tops, jackets and coats than usual in the catalogs that arrive daily.
Indeed! I've turned away from many a mock or T-neck. Even backed away from tie-neck blouses (which are quite flattering on me). Why have a bunch of built-in fabric up there when one could wear a scarf instead?

I’ve always loved scarves and I love the artists and history of H scarves. I work in a professional setting, and found statement necklaces to be heavy after a long day. Years ago during a women’s network event, a senior woman on a panel gave advice in order to have presence in a meeting, wear color, a scarf or a statement necklace. I guess it stuck with me. I think it also helps me look a bit older/experienced/confidence to have authority, by looking a bit more put together. I guess now people notice my collection because I have so many. I’ve stopped buying clothes with patterns years ago, and just buy scarf clothes :biggrin:
Gosh, I think I've been a "scarf clothes" wearer most of my life...before I even wore scarves. The first place I lived abroad was Moscow, Russia (1995-1997). I got folded into a very sophisticated and polished group of women from the Woman's International Club while there. One of them confided in me that while looking for potential friends at events, she avoided those who wore clothes with small patterns on them....she called it "church lady clothes". She thought me interesting because I wore my "wedding dress" to an event and said so. I got married to my then husband wearing an olive tunic sweater and olive stretch pants back in 1992.

Gosh, I think I've been a "scarf clothes" wearer most of my life...before I even wore scarves. The first place I lived abroad was Moscow, Russia (1995-1997). I got folded into a very sophisticated and polished group of women from the Woman's International Club while there. One of them confided in me that while looking for potential friends at events, she avoided those who wore clothes with small patterns on them....she called it "church lady clothes". She thought me interesting because I wore my "wedding dress" to an event and said so. I got married to my then husband wearing an olive tunic sweater and olive stretch pants back in 1992.
Love this story! Interestingly my criteria for my (2nd) wedding dress is something I could wear out to events again! :P
Oh and and me to the “scarf clothes crew” lol.

You are so cool! You must have rocked their world!

I love this post, I too love the feel of silk around my neck and the crispness of a new Hermes scarf! My absolute favorite way to wear my scarves is tucked inside a cowl neck sweater like pictured. I love the pop of color, the sensuality of the silk and the fact that the scarf stays perfectly put all day!
View attachment 4566698
I too love to wear a silk scarf under a turtleneck (or over one for that matter). Love the feeling of silk around my neck.

Attachments

• 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Imaddge1.jpg
    Imaddge1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 183
I too love to wear a silk scarf under a turtleneck (or over one for that matter). Love the feeling of silk around my neck.

Love the green Brides de Gala, no wonder it’s remained the most iconic design ever, it looks so cool and elegant every time.
Other designs come and go, but for me your photo says it all!

That looks fantastic! All of those. But I am totally stealing the turtleneck look. :smile: I’m not sure I can pull off a 90 though under a close-fitting turtle. I wonder if it would look too bulky? Hmmm...

Last edited:
Reactions: DrTr