Hermes Special Order Bags

Since this thread is now huge and the internal links to frequently asked questions no longer work, here is a brief FAQ for newcomers to the Hermes Special Order process.

What are the current choices for "a la carte" Special Order bags?
Current color charts Page 1420 Post 21,296 February 7, 2024
Most Recently Known Selection Definitions (bag types, sizes, combos) Sept 4, 2021
Thread Choices for stitching.
Lucky Symbols for stamping.

What is an Hermes Special Order?
Each year Hermes gives select clients the opportunity to customize a classic bag in a made-to-order a la carte process. This thread is only for bag A La Carte orders (please use the separate threads for watch SOs and shoe SOs). "A la carte", "SO" (special order), and "HSS" (horse shoe stamp) are used interchangeably on this forum.

When is the Special Order season?
Currently, there is one SO season each calendar year, opening around the beginning of February and closing when slots run out or the end of December, whichever occurs first. New SO menus are typically leaked in February and remain constant until the following calendar year. Individual stores have complete discretion on when, within this window, they offer SO appointments to their clients.

Which specs can I customize?
Hermes defines which specs can be customized and these specs can change each SO season. Generally these specs include: leather type, leather color, and hardware color. At your SO appointment, your SA will present you will the limited menu of choices including bag types and sizes (Birkin 25, Kelly 28, etc), pre-set combination designs (line, verso, multico, etc), leather choices, leather colors, hardwares, and a map for which options can be selected for which bag type and size. Not all leathers and hardwares are allowed for all bag types and sizes.

Can I make physical changes to a bag definition during SO?
Sometimes clients would like to change a physical aspect of a bag, like increase the handle drop or add a pocket or a strap. Unfortunately, Hermes does not allow any type of alteration to the bag definition during SO. For extensive changes like these, a client would need to pursue a “Horizon order” which can be read about here.

How long will my SO take?
There is no way to predict how long a SO will take from placing the order to receipt of the finished product. Although Hermes has recently put forward efforts to fulfill a la carte orders within a year, it isn’t uncommon for bags to arrive in just a few months or also much longer than the year estimate.

Can my SA give me status my existing SO?
Unfortunately, the info that can be seen by SAs at the local store is very limited. They can generally see if the order is still outstanding (ie hasn’t been cancelled) but do not get status updates beyond that. Some stores will update clients when they get notice that a bag has been shipped from Paris but other stores wait until the bag is physically in store before alerting the client.

Do I need to place a deposit for SO?
In most regions of the world, a deposit is not required for SOs. However, some Asian and Middle Eastern locations do seem to request at least a partial deposit. Deposits may also be required in other regions if the SO selections are very personalized (ie if you have your personal initials hot stamped onto the bag) such that selling the bag to a different client, if the original client declines the bag, would be difficult.

Do I receive confirmation of my SO after placing my order?
In most regions of the world, the client gives their specifications to their SA and that is the last they hear about it until the bag arrives. Paris stores seem to be an exception to this and send the client a confirmation email within a few weeks of placing the order.

Is there a premium for a SO bag?
No, there is no premium price for SO bags. Their price is the same as any other standard stock bag of the same specifications at the time of delivery.

Is my SO a quota bag?
SO bags are generally counted toward a client’s two-bags-per-year limit at the time that the bag is received and paid for. If a client has already maxed out their quota bag allocation for the year, some stores will allow an exception to purchase your SO as a third bag for the year while other stores will require the customer to wait until a new calendar year before receiving the bag. These policies are subject to be changed per store at their convenience so it is always wise to check with your specific SA.

Where can I get ideas for my SO bag?
This thread shows unique combination bags and this thread shows contrasting stitching bags. Please consider posting your bag there once it arrives!

Where can I see historical SO menus?
2023 on post 19,874 page 1325 Feb 3, 2023
2022 on post 17,729 page 1182 Sept 13, 2021
2021 on post 15,439 page 1030 Aug 16, 2020
2020 on post 13,222 page 882 Aug 8, 2019
2019 on post 10,472 page 699 Sept 10, 2018
2018 on post 7,687 page 513 Sept 15, 2017
2017 on post 4,749 page 317 Sept 26, 2016

HUGE DILEMMA:
A friend of mine texted me a pic of the latest Birkin touch with the Noisette chevre...
well that pic has started a huge dilemma in my mind because I fell in love with that bag!
I'm seriously confused.
I thought I knew what I was going to order next month (Noir chevre B25, which I have wanted for 6 years but always got distracted) but last night I had a dream that I placed a completely different order.

Noisette chevre is not a color I'm hugely familiar with but I have fallen deeply for it in the recent pictures posted all over the internet.
What do those familiar with this color in chevre think of it????
I'm strongly considering ordering it in a sellier K28 with RGHW. I think this chestnut color (and yes I want to add a classic contrast stitching for flare) with rose gold will make me faint. H E L P ..... opinions???
Is anyone else ordering this color?

p.s. I currently own both black and gold birkins w/ GHW and will not sell them. Sooooo both SO options I'm considering are a tiny bit redundant color-wise, but that is not a factor because I wear them to death and they are my favorites.

Chevre in noisette is heavenly- its the lining for barenia bags if not mistaken and truly gorgeous. Both are great choices and hugely wearable ( maybe the reason you keep putting off the noir is you know it will be offered every year....love to see that picture!

Reactions: Israeli_Flava
I would be very interested know this as well. I was informed that it was not available for my Kelly SO this round. :confused1: Also wondering why there are no RGHW PO Kellys to be seen if it is available for SO. The usual mysteries of Hermes.

When my SA initially took down my SO requests at the end of Sept I gave her the options of RGHW vs GHW if RGHW was not available (she said she did not know yet at that time); however I when I spoke with her today she said she confirmed that RGHW is available for SO kellys this season. I will ask her again when I see her on Sat.. I sometimes feel that TPF members know more than the SAs themselves lol

I was told the RGHW is available for kelly SO this round too.

When I placed my SO a few weeks ago, the “kit” had cards for each version available for each bag. The cards had a picture on the front and the leather and hardware options on the back. It was different for each version. Then you picked from the interior and exterior lists (box had swatches of all organized by color) based on the leather available and then you picked thread. Contrary to what others were told, I was able to order a bicolor k with custom (coordinating!) thread choice. I know this is different from what others have experienced. It was better organized and easier to visualize than in the past.

RGHW was available for quite a few bags but not the chevre K25 that I ordered.

When I placed my SO a few weeks ago, the “kit” had cards for each version available for each bag. The cards had a picture on the front and the leather and hardware options on the back. It was different for each version. Then you picked from the interior and exterior lists (box had swatches of all organized by color) based on the leather available and then you picked thread. Contrary to what others were told, I was able to order a bicolor k with custom (coordinating!) thread choice. I know this is different from what others have experienced. It was better organized and easier to visualize than in the past.

Yes this is exactly what I know and have experienced so far. RGHW options for Birkins and Constances but not Kellys. I sometimes place my SOs via email so don’t always have the chance to see the A La Carte SO box and cards at the right time.

Hmmmm.... ok. Well since I was debating the K28 in Noisette chevre RGHW primarily because I thought I could order it with RGHW, I will just wait and see what my boutique offers for K and if I can't do RGHW, I will stick with noir chevre B25 rghw... Thanks for your detailed insight babe!

When my SA initially took down my SO requests at the end of Sept I gave her the options of RGHW vs GHW if RGHW was not available (she said she did not know yet at that time); however I when I spoke with her today she said she confirmed that RGHW is available for SO kellys this season. I will ask her again when I see her on Sat.. I sometimes feel that TPF members know more than the SAs themselves lol
Yes, please confirm RGHW is available for K!!! What size did you order? xo

The color is beautiful. I think you should stick with your original plan for a B25 in noir chèvre though, because you mentioned that you’ve gotten distracted for six years. Just playing devil’s advocate. What interior color would you do on the B25? What hardware?
I planned on Rose Poupre interior with RGHW on both orders...

Reactions: westcoastgal
HUGE DILEMMA:
A friend of mine texted me a pic of the latest Birkin touch with the Noisette chevre...
well that pic has started a huge dilemma in my mind because I fell in love with that bag!
I'm seriously confused.
I thought I knew what I was going to order next month (Noir chevre B25, which I have wanted for 6 years but always got distracted) but last night I had a dream that I placed a completely different order.

Noisette chevre is not a color I'm hugely familiar with but I have fallen deeply for it in the recent pictures posted all over the internet.
What do those familiar with this color in chevre think of it????
I'm strongly considering ordering it in a sellier K28 with RGHW. I think this chestnut color (and yes I want to add a classic contrast stitching for flare) with rose gold will make me faint. H E L P ..... opinions???
Is anyone else ordering this color?

p.s. I currently own both black and gold birkins w/ GHW and will not sell them. Sooooo both SO options I'm considering are a tiny bit redundant color-wise, but that is not a factor because I wear them to death and they are my favorites.
I came SOOOO close to ordering a noisette B30. I am missing a gold B30 and I thought this would be a nice twist. I decided to cross my fingers for a noisette touch instead.

Reactions: Israeli_Flava
Babe, if you fell for the Chestnut shade go for it! I am afraid this round RGHW is still only available for Birkins and Constances only as far as I know. We have no idea why they won’t put them on Kellys.
I was a little afraid it would be too brown IRL??? In the pics I have seen it is a beautiful reddish-gold/brown. Ugh. I'm so confused.

Did you happen to notice if RGHW was available for any kellys?

Did you happen to notice if RGHW was available for any kellys?
@hopiko mentioned that rghw wasn't available for the Kelly 25 that she ordered. I had also mentioned that rghw isn't available contrary to what few members have shared. I'm curious to know if anyone was able to successfully placed an order for a Kelly with rghw (reference code CD). :thinking:

I also want to confirm that there are three options for stitching for verso (Birkin, Kelly, etc): tonal, inverse/contrast, 3rd color stitching just like it is for multico. ;)

Very sad!!! I should have done that for me spring SO instead of my K25...
I don’t like losing SO options!
I know, it caught me and my SA off guard! And it happened after I picked my leather, hardware & stitch. I had to do a slight change when I found out the version I want is no longer available. I’m sure it will still be pretty but i just have to grieve it for a bit.

Reactions: westcoastgal