Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

Hi, all! Wanted to share something in case someone might find it useful.

I have a vintage Proues that I picked up at a consignment store some time ago for a very good price. It had a stain on its white border; it wasn’t too noticeable, but it was definitely there. It seemed like it was an ink stain; it was around 2cm x 2cm (just under an inch each dimension), so quite sizable. I laundered the scarf when I got it, and the stain was not coming out; the scarf is perfect otherwise. I have worn it a couple times as a head scarf in the rain, which is my go-to for older vintage imperfect scarves.

Yesterday, I was going through some scarves to see if any need laundering, and I decided to try something. I used Oxy Clean gel on the stain and let it dry overnight. Today, it was completely gone! 100% fully gone.

Several reasons I decided to try the gel:

* The border was white, so I wasn’t worried about lifting the color (I would most certainly not recommend it otherwise)
* The gel allowes for easily controlling the application vs an Oxy Clean soak or even an Oxy Clean spray. It stays put on the stain and doesn’t migrate to the surrounding areas.
* I used the gel multiple times before on my white silk blouses without any disastrous effects.

Once again, this was a vintage scarf to which I wasn’t too attached, and the part I treated was white, so no risk of ruining the dye. This is a fairly risky thing to try as Oxy Clean is a strong chemical treatment, but perhaps it will come in handy for someone else one day.

Unfortunately, I didn’t photograph the stain before, but I am attaching the after. You are just going to have to believe me there used to be a large stain there :smile:

Attachments

• F2BAE626-2047-4240-885A-5EBEF1490A39.jpeg
    F2BAE626-2047-4240-885A-5EBEF1490A39.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 253
I have always used The Laundress delicates wash to hand-wash my 90cm silks. Recently, though, I bought a bottle of the Nordstrom unscented delicates wash. Not for my silk scarves, just for underwear and other delicates. But the bottle says it works for silk.
Anyone here have good or bad experience using this product on H scarves? :tup: :tdown: :tup: :tdown:

Reactions: Etriers
OMG, Please help! My Grail Scarf has a foundation stain on it. I try to hand wash with dishwasher detergent as many of you suggest but it would not fade. Should I turn it to a professional to take care of it? It is beautiful when hanging loose. I love it.

Attachments

• 601F29C6-C286-49DF-B445-E0F9E09E36D0.jpeg
    601F29C6-C286-49DF-B445-E0F9E09E36D0.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 173
OMG, Please help! My Grail Scarf has a foundation stain on it. I try to hand wash with dishwasher detergent as many of you suggest but it would not fade. Should I turn it to a professional to take care of it? It is beautiful when hanging loose. I love it.
This may cause some aficionados to blanch, but I have had great success with un-scented Baby wipes, dabbed lightly on the surface of the scarf, I learned this from professional costume and wardrobe folk in the film industry. Unscented baby wipes are astonishingly effective at getting makeup stains off any fabric...and they don’t leave watermarks. I have tried it on makeup smears on my Hermes scarves and it works a charm...

This may cause some aficionados to blanch, but I have had great success with un-scented Baby wipes, dabbed lightly on the surface of the scarf, I learned this from professional costume and wardrobe folk in the film industry. Unscented baby wipes are astonishingly effective at getting makeup stains off any fabric...and they don’t leave watermarks. I have tried it on makeup smears on my Hermes scarves and it works a charm...
:heart: off to buy an unscented baby wipes now:hugs:

Hi, it’s not dishwasher detergent (don’t use dishwasher detergent! ) it’s specifically Dawn dish soap. The liquid for hand washing dishes. I started using it on foundation and food stains when I read that’s what they use to clean the birds affected by oil spills, and after so many scarfie recommendations.

Hi, it’s not dishwasher detergent (don’t use dishwasher detergent! ) it’s specifically Dawn dish soap. The liquid for hand washing dishes. I started using it on foundation and food stains when I read that’s what they use to clean the birds affected by oil spills, and after so many scarfie recommendations.
i wash all the foundation on the surface out, but the back still see the darkness mark from my sweating( or by the way I folded the scarf). Do I leave it alone or try to do something else ? when I wear , the mark won't show thou.

i wash all the foundation on the surface out, but the back still see the darkness mark from my sweating( or by the way I folded the scarf). Do I leave it alone or try to do something else ? when I wear , the mark won't show thou.

I just don’t know dear. :confused1: It’s so hard to say without seeing it. It sounds as if your scarf is lightfast, so that’s good, but you don’t want to overdue it either, and cause it to fade or pill. If you can’t see the stain when you wear it, it might be better to leave it alone for now until you are ready to wash the scarf in the future.

I just don’t know dear. :confused1: It’s so hard to say without seeing it. It sounds as if your scarf is lightfast, so that’s good, but you don’t want to overdue it either, and cause it to fade or pill. If you can’t see the stain when you wear it, it might be better to leave it alone for now until you are ready to wash the scarf in the future.
Thank you:love:. I leave it as is for now. I am so afraid that I will overdo it and then will go bye-bye my Grail scarf,:blush::giggle: