Harrods International Return Policy

Kl1234

Feb 21, 2014
Hi everyone!
I'm in the U.S. And I am looking at ordering a bag online through Harrods. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with international returns through Harrods? On their website they state that their international returns are not free but they do not state what they charge you or how long you have. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

Does anyone have experience returning something from the US? It seems that buyer has to pay for return shipping ourselves? I ordered two coats from them during black Friday and they sent the wrong color for one.

Does anyone have experience returning something from the US? It seems that buyer has to pay for return shipping ourselves? I ordered two coats from them during black Friday and they sent the wrong color for one.

I bought a bag from NAP UK and it's free return. However, the import duty is not refunded.

Did you just drop it off at DHL? There's no label although it says to just bring it back. Did you get a receipt? I've emailed Harrods and 2 days with no reply, wth?

I can only truly speak for ordering within the UK, but if the only part of the order you are returning is the coat that was not the colour you ordered, you should not be paying for the return yourself. I haven’t double checked it specifically but I think you’ll probably find that’s enshrined in our consumer law here, and I would certainly not accept paying returns for anything that was incorrectly shipped, so I would advise emailing all details and clearly stating that you expect them to pay the return shipping if what you ordered was not sent and you are returning only for that reason. Returns owing to change of mind, wrong fit (unless misrepresented) etc are another matter and if they say they charge for that upfront, they are entitled to, of course. That international shipping would be a bit of hefty weight for that kind of business if they offered it free. I have to pay return shipping for a lot of stuff I get from the US if it just doesn’t work for me, but I would not accept paying it if the item was not as ordered.

Regarding the import duty on the NaP order and anything else like that, NaP of course can’t refund it, as you know, because it’s only been collected by them, and paid on to the relevant authorities. However, if I return something I had shipped to the UK from the US (and if it wasn’t done through Borderfree which handles it all as one transaction), I can download a form from the government website to reclaim all taxes and duties paid. It’s a hassle, but that’s who has that money. Can you do something like that in the US to reclaim taxes and duties paid on returned goods?

I shop at Harrods a lot more rarely now than I used to in the days when there was little online and I always shopped in store at Harrods, Harvey Nichols and a few other London places. I don’t think those big places have quite kept pace with online shopping, and their online operation is a little olde worlde. I consider them tourist destinations now, more than anything else (and I used to spend half my life in Harrods and had my wedding list there, it’s home turf!). For one thing, the selection of clothes and accessories is just not as good as it is from Net-a-Porter et al, online access direct to design houses is so easy now, and I only ever order online from Harrods or Selfridges (as with Saks or NM for instance) when I can’t get what I’m after elsewhere - but it’s rare to find it.

Harrods actually sent the wrong thing the last time I ordered from them and it wasn’t exactly a smooth operation rectifying, but they will always do the right thing in the end.

Hope it works out.

I’m trying to make a Harrods return. Were you able to figure out how to get a return slip? Thanks.
For domestic returns they include a free label in the package, but for international you have to email their customer service. They can be a little slow to get back to you, but make sure you get it on the record within 14 days of receiving your order, or they won’t be obliged to take the return. All online sales with just a few exceptions (final sale, custom orders, second hand etc) are returnable by law here, but they are at liberty to set a time limit from delivery for you to request the return, within their policy. With Harrods it’s within 14 days from when you take delivery. You can check it out on their website.

For domestic returns they include a free label in the package, but for international you have to email their customer service. They can be a little slow to get back to you, but make sure you get it on the record within 14 days of receiving your order, or they won’t be obliged to take the return. All online sales with just a few exceptions (final sale, custom orders, second hand etc) are returnable by law here, but they are at liberty to set a time limit from delivery for you to request the return, within their policy. With Harrods it’s within 14 days from when you take delivery. You can check it out on their website.
Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I emailed customer service and I am just waiting to hear back. I am glad to hear I am okay as long as I have a record of my return request within 14 days.

Reactions: Annie J
Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I emailed customer service and I am just waiting to hear back. I am glad to hear I am okay as long as I have a record of my return request within 14 days.
Yes, if they try to say it’s too late you just have to point out that you did initiate the return by emailing as required, but they didn’t reply in time, but I’m sure they will. I just find sometimes the wheels move a bit slowly there! I would maybe just double check the back and any small print of any documents that came with your parcel, in case there’s something extra, but their stated policy on the website is for them to be notified within 14 days, for all returns. As an international customer you do have to pay the return shipping (though you shouldn’t accept that if the item you’re returning was faulty or the wrong item, for instance).

Reactions: Vanessa708
I’m trying to make a Harrods return. Were you able to figure out how to get a return slip? Thanks.
I waited 2 business days before I started emailing ALL of Harrod's social media accounts. My reasoning was that time is if the essence since they're only giving us US customers 2 weeks to return. They finally replied the same day on FB and I got my label emailed to me.

I waited 2 business days before I started emailing ALL of Harrod's social media accounts. My reasoning was that time is if the essence since they're only giving us US customers 2 weeks to return. They finally replied the same day on FB and I got my label emailed to me.
As long as you’ve emailed them so it’s on record that you wish to make a return within the 14 days, as per the information about returns on their website, and as you would legally be covered for, you will be covered even if they take a while to sort it out. Just keep it clear and be clear when they get back to you. It’s very regulated, they can’t just do as they please, and they don’t, they are reputable and law-abiding!

As long as you’ve emailed them so it’s on record that you wish to make a return within the 14 days, as per the information about returns on their website, and as you would legally be covered for, you will be covered even if they take a while to sort it out. Just keep it clear and be clear when they get back to you. It’s very regulated, they can’t just do as they please, and they don’t, they are reputable and law-abiding!

Oh I KNOW that Harrod's is reputable. Been there many times on our trips to Europe. This time we were leaving on another trip and I didn't want to have to deal with it on my vacation. Time was of the utmost here.

Reactions: Annie J
Oh I KNOW that Harrod's is reputable. Been there many times on our trips to Europe. This time we were leaving on another trip and I didn't want to have to deal with it on my vacation. Time was of the utmost here.
Ah from that point of view, you just wanted it out of the way, yes, annoying if they don’t act quickly. There’s a place in my heart for Harrods, but they’re a funny old bunch, I still find them quite old fashioned, not much change really for the last two or three decades! Their online offering isn’t the best. I didn’t mean you wouldn’t know they were reputable, I just see a lot here that there are some differences in how return policies function between here and the US, and what the stores have to do here as a matter of law, what limits they can and can’t place on returns, etc., a lot of people don’t know how protected the consumer is shopping in Europe, especially with the distance selling laws. As long as you had let them know within the two weeks you were requesting the return, they would still have to accept it even if after you came back from your trip, if it was their delay in replying that slowed it down. But I can quite see you wouldn’t want the niggle of it in the back of your mind when you’re away. I just got back from holiday and there was a big Net-a-Porter order where I’d intended to check out a couple of items in two different sizes, send the ones that didn’t fit back before the holiday, but they shipped them a day late so I missed the opportunity for the return before going away, which was irritating, knowing that needed doing when I got back. I like to tie up my loose ends before I relax and always hate having things sitting on the cc account that I know need to be refunded. I like to do any returns within a day or two. Glad yours worked out and hope you enjoy/enjoyed your trip!

Thank you for the tips. Luckily, they got back to me today and sent my shipping label so I’m super relieved!