Present for Boyfriend

guanie

Feb 11, 2016
Hi! I want to buy a pair of shoes for my boyfriend, probably loafers, but I am not sure what brand to get as I do not have much expertise on mens shoes.

I thought Tod's are pretty nice, do you guys have any recommendations for classic loafer brands+specific styles (good for works shoes) :smile:? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi! I want to buy a pair of shoes for my boyfriend, probably loafers, but I am not sure what brand to get as I do not have much expertise on mens shoes.

I thought Tod's are pretty nice, do you guys have any recommendations for classic loafer brands+specific styles :smile:? Thank you!
Hello. You want to buy a pair of shoes and your boyfriend hasn't tried them ? Why don't you ask him what pair of shoes he would like to have ?

Hello. You want to buy a pair of shoes and your boyfriend hasn't tried them ?

Hi, yes. I wanted to get some recommendations since I wanted to buy him a nice pair of loafers, but he doesn't really shop much and I do not have much knowledge on these brands either besides Tods. He has pretty easygoing attitude-- "as long as the shoe fits" (but I am not).

My husband likes Ferragamo and Zegna for shoes.. I think he prefers his Zegna’s though. My husband prefers fuss free, quiet elegance.

I personally don’t think you could go wrong with Gucci... but that’s my personal preference. Hermès also makes some nice men’s loafers.

My husband likes Ferragamo and Zegna for shoes.. I think he prefers his Zegna’s though. My husband prefers fuss free, quiet elegance.

I personally don’t think you could go wrong with Gucci... but that’s my personal preference. Hermès also makes some nice men’s loafers.

I was thinking about Ferragamo, but I totally forgot about Zegna!
You see, it is better for me to ask for recommendations than just go on the Saks site. Thank you for the suggestions :smile:

Reactions: GoldFish8
  • Love
Reactions: 880

I thought Tod's are pretty nice, do you guys have any recommendations for classic loafer brands+specific styles :smile:? Thank you!

PS if you are looking at the Tods classic driver loafers, you should be aware they aren’t intended for walking long distances since the sole is very delicate and intended to maximize responsiveness of the foot on the gas pedal rather than durability.

I’m talking about the one where the sole is composed of little “bumps” “nibs” or whatever you want to call them.

PS if you are looking at the Tods classic driver loafers, you should be aware they aren’t intended for walking long distances since the sole is very delicate and intended to maximize responsiveness of the foot on the gas pedal rather than durability.

I’m talking about the one where the sole is composed of little “bumps” “nibs” or whatever you want to call them.

Interesting! I wasn't looking at the classic drivers, but good to know. I was looking for a nice loafer/a good work shoe. And I will check out the brands you listed. Thank you! :smile:

I have many years of shopping and I would not buy shoes for someone without them trying on. Otherwise there is no way to tell if they fit or whether they are comfortable for him, or whether he even likes the way it looks on his feet. Good luck.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and br3wx
I have many years of shopping and I would not buy shoes for someone without them trying on. Otherwise there is no way to tell if they fit or whether they are comfortable for him, or whether he even likes the way it looks on his feet. Good luck.

I think I will take him to these stores and figure out from there :smile: but as I said, we both don't really know brands for this. Thank you though.

Reactions: snibor
This would depend on your budget, but generally Tod's, Zegna, Ferragamo, and Gucci, are all pretty bad. There are two exceptions:

* Zegna sometimes has limited runs, which are actually pretty good and made by hand, or otherwise properly constructed.
* Ferragamo's Tramezza line is the only stuff worth buying - but this is their most expensive line. Sometimes the Lavorazione Originale line is okay, but more often than not it's not that great, due to inferior construction.

It would depend on your budget, but for mid-tier shoes you could look into Crockett & Jones, Santoni, or Alfred Sargent.

Higher end you could look into Edward Green, John Lobb, etc.

This would depend on your budget, but generally Tod's, Zegna, Ferragamo, and Gucci, are all pretty bad. There are two exceptions:

* Zegna sometimes has limited runs, which are actually pretty good and made by hand, or otherwise properly constructed.
* Ferragamo's Tramezza line is the only stuff worth buying - but this is their most expensive line. Sometimes the Lavorazione Originale line is okay, but more often than not it's not that great, due to inferior construction.

It would depend on your budget, but for mid-tier shoes you could look into Crockett & Jones, Santoni, or Alfred Sargent.

Higher end you could look into Edward Green, John Lobb, etc.
Are there any stores for those brands you recommended in Australia? Doing a search on Google but haven't trouble with the results.

Yup!

go to the store in person. My DH is hard to fit, but he swears by Edward Greene 202 last, and he currently loves Corthay loafers. Alden and Crockett & Jones are not to his taste style wise, but reasonably high quality, and I don’t recall how he felt about santoni. I once had a pair of santoni sneakers that were very comfy. DH also used to wear JM Weston. He found lobbs to be a bit chunky, but that was years ago, and of course styles would have changed.

however, if your BF is new to fashion brands, I would suggest trying gucci, zegna, ferragamo, or Prada, and having him choose what is most comfortable.

Last edited: